News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Signage Question

Started by jcn, August 29, 2017, 04:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwolfer

I-4 is like 26.. Much of the route, In fact the busiest portion thru Orlando area, are signed EW but is pretty much exact NS. From downtown Orlando into Volusia County at SR 44

LGMS428

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on September 01, 2017, 01:24:38 PM
Quote from: 1 on August 29, 2017, 07:43:19 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on August 29, 2017, 07:28:47 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 29, 2017, 05:06:04 PM
From what I've seen, Interstate and US routes can only change directions at state borders.  Examples are US 62 and US 202.  US 62 changes from East/West to North/South at the OH/PA border.  US 202 changes a couple times; N-S to E-W at NJ/NY border, back to N-S at the CT/MA border, then E-W once again at the MA/NH border.  So for I-26 to be signed N-S on that stretch, it would have to be for the entire NC stretch.

I'm curious if that's rule or just accepted convention.

Well, except beltways, obviously.

NY 7 changes in the middle, but it's only a state route.

Nowhere near the middle. Change is at Bevier St in Binghamton. Under 13 miles of the 180 mile route are signed N/S and it's the only change I know of that isn't at a major intersection or county line. NY 28's two changes are at county lines (Ulster/Delaware and Hamilton/Warren). NY 3's two changes are at the NY 264 intersection and Jefferson/Oswego line.
That's a pretty silly place to have NY 7 change... it still runs N/S for another couple of miles.  They should have the change at I-88.

Region 1 does not have ANY directional signage on NY 28, so it doesn't change so much as vanish.

NY 17 also changes, at NY 32/future I-86.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on August 30, 2017, 05:00:04 AM
I've seen US Route 1 in coastal Connecticut signed as East/West a few times. It does happen in New England. :(

Using this as precedent, I'm surprised that I-95 in Connecticut isn't signed E-W.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on September 02, 2017, 09:23:00 PM
Region 1 does not have ANY directional signage on NY 28, so it doesn't change so much as vanish.

There are (or were as of last winter) a few E/W signs between US 9 and North Creek. WB here. Can't find it on GSV, but there's at least one EB in the same area.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.