News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unpaved state highways

Started by fillup420, September 15, 2017, 09:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fillup420

I know of 2 in North Carolina. NC 90 and NC 197. Are there any in your state?

Max Rockatansky

Arizona has AZ 88 with a large dirt segment on the Apache Trail and AZ 288 is mostly unpaved on the Young Highway.  Utah has US 261 with the Moki Dugway still being unpaved.  California had a section on CA 173 until was dirt until it was abandoned.  Oregon has an unpaved stretch on OR 27 which is ongoing thread I believe?   Minnesota has MN 74 which has an unpaved segment as well.  I know of an unpaved segment of NM 120 in New Mexico but I want to say that the state has a lot more given it has a ton of routes with dirt or gravel surfaces.  Florida doesn't have unpaved routes anymore nor does Michigan.  Some abandoned Nevada State Highways like NV 8a are still signed despite not being maintained by the state.

Mapmikey

South Carolina: none

Virginia: VA 91; there is likely a 3xx series route or 2 that has a gravel segment.  The posted VA 331 segment was largely gravel when I drove it years ago and Oct 2015 GMSV still shows that to be the case.

Here is was from its endpoint looking towards VA 253:

hbelkins

Not many left in Kentucky. The one of which I'm most aware is KY 199 in Pike County.

Quote from: Mapmikey on September 15, 2017, 10:14:31 AM

Virginia: VA 91; there is likely a 3xx series route or 2 that has a gravel segment.  The posted VA 331 segment was largely gravel when I drove it years ago and Oct 2015 GMSV still shows that to be the case.

Here is was from its endpoint looking towards VA 253:

I'm guessing this is an access road to some state-owned facility?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

Just one in Minnesota remains, which is a section of MN 74 between Elba and Weaver. The two most recent unpaved sections to be eliminated were in 1996 (MN 1 from Cook to MN 169) and 2000 (MN 65 through the Nett Lake Reservation).
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Mapmikey

Quote from: hbelkins on September 15, 2017, 12:23:13 PM

I'm guessing this is an access road to some state-owned facility?

Yes...research farm of James Madison Univ.  This is right outside Port Republic VA.

froggie

Rover_0

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 15, 2017, 10:12:00 AM
Arizona has AZ 88 with a large dirt segment on the Apache Trail and AZ 288 is mostly unpaved on the Young Highway.  Utah has US 261 with the Moki Dugway still being unpaved.

Don't forget UT-153 from a few miles outside Junction to Puffer Lake. I believe a part of UT-35 was up until the late 1990s/early 2000s.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rover_0 on September 15, 2017, 02:16:01 PM
Arizona has AZ 88 with a large dirt segment on the Apache Trail and AZ 288 is mostly unpaved on the Young Highway.  Utah has US 261 with the Moki Dugway still being unpaved.

Don't forget UT-153 from a few miles outside Junction to Puffer Lake. I believe a part of UT-35 was up until the late 1990s/early 2000s.

Totally forgot that one, speaking of high mountain highways does anyone know if the last last couple miles of AZ 366 on Mount Graham are still unpaved?

inkyatari

AZ 88 is probably the most amazing drive I've ever taken.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: inkyatari on September 15, 2017, 03:35:37 PM
AZ 88 is probably the most amazing drive I've ever taken.

It sure is something special, I used to love to drive out to Tortilla Flat on an early weekend morning for buzzard strips (chicken).   I really lament not having a good digital camera when I was spending a lot of time out in the dirt segment.

jp the roadgeek

VT 35 in Athens is gravel.  However, it's under town maintenance
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

SectorZ

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 15, 2017, 04:37:38 PM
VT 35 in Athens is gravel.  However, it's under town maintenance

VT 58 thru Hazen's Notch is as well, but also falls under town maintenance. As a cyclist, I learned the hard way about 35 a few years ago on one ride, and learned number doesn't equal paved all the time in VT.

cjk374

I found one by accident here in Louisiana just over a year ago. It was a 3xxx route, dirt, & a dead end. I was driving on a road I had never seen before when I saw it. I really need to hit the road & find it again to take pictures.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

silverback1065

Arizona has AZ 88 with a large dirt segment on the Apache Trail and AZ 288 is mostly unpaved on the Young Highway.  Utah has US 261 with the Moki Dugway still being unpaved.  California had a section on CA 173 until was dirt until it was abandoned.  Oregon has an unpaved stretch on OR 27 which is ongoing thread I believe?   Minnesota has MN 74 which has an unpaved segment as well.  I know of an unpaved segment of NM 120 in New Mexico but I want to say that the state has a lot more given it has a ton of routes with dirt or gravel surfaces.  Florida doesn't have unpaved routes anymore nor does Michigan.  Some abandoned Nevada State Highways like NV 8a are still signed despite not being maintained by the state.

do you mean SR 261?  I don't think US 261 exists.

dvferyance

I know South Dakota has several.

cl94

Would it be possible to merge this thread with:

Quote from: froggie on September 15, 2017, 12:54:56 PM
The thread we had 2-3 years ago on the subject:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=13040.0

and the other threads mentioned in that thread?

That being said, New York has none, not even a reference route. NYSDOT maintains zero unpaved roads and no numbers are currently assigned to one. One state route (NY 421) ends where pavement ends. I think NY 214 through Stony Clove Notch was the last unpaved NY route (although it was under local jurisdiction), completely rebuilt and paved in the late 1950s.

Vermont has four that were mentioned in the previous thread (sections of VT 35, 58, 65, 121). All except 65 are town-maintained where pavement does not exist (35 and 121 are entirely town-maintained). I'd guess that about 1/3 of VT 121 is unpaved (probably 8 miles or so). Roughly the same amount of VT 58 through Hazen's Notch is unpaved. VT 65 is unpaved for ~3 miles (the stretch with the floating bridge), 35 for about 1 mile.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 18, 2017, 10:12:30 AM

do you mean SR 261?  I don't think US 261 exists.

Typo for UT 261, I want to say US 183 was the last US Route that had a dirt segment in the 1960s or something?

jbnv

Quote from: cjk374 on September 16, 2017, 10:10:11 AM
I found one by accident here in Louisiana just over a year ago. It was a 3xxx route, dirt, & a dead end. I was driving on a road I had never seen before when I saw it. I really need to hit the road & find it again to take pictures.

LA 1004 apparently is nothing but a dirt road into a sugarcane field.

Gravel Highway (LA 1004 Route Sign) by Jay Bienvenu, on Flickr
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.