News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Do you say "buyed" instead of "bought"?

Started by bandit957, September 15, 2017, 11:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Do you say "buyed" instead of "bought"? I do.

I'm also a "bring/brang/brung" guy.

Is this only a Midwest thing?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

US 89

Speaking from Utah, I can honestly say I have never heard this anywhere. It's definitely not a West thing.

jakeroot

I often say it incorrectly, and then immediately I correct myself. I almost always say "buyed" when someone asks me if I bought [specific item], to which I sometimes reply "I buyed it -- sorry, bought it".

I don't hear anyone else say it. I think I'm just retarded.

EDIT 18 SEP: My original post suggested that I use "buyed" intentionally, which is not the case.

jp the roadgeek

I always say bought; never hear buyed.     I usually hear "brang" from young kids, but sometimes, I'll use "done brung" kind of tongue in cheek.

One in these parts is whether you wait in line or wait on line.  The latter is kind of a New York area thing.

The one that drives me crazy is hung.  It's fine if you did it to the stockings by the chimney with care, but it's incorrect when it refers to having being put to the gallows; that would be hanged 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

jwolfer

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 15, 2017, 11:58:54 PM
I always say bought; never hear buyed.     I usually hear "brang" from young kids, but sometimes, I'll use "done brung" kind of tongue in cheek.

One in these parts is whether you wait in line or wait on line.  The latter is kind of a New York area thing.

The one that drives me crazy is hung.  It's fine if you did it to the stockings by the chimney with care, but it's incorrect when it refers to having being put to the gallows; that would be hanged
Pictures hung, people are hanged....

Well some men are hung LOL

LGMS428

kkt

I've never heard "buyed" except as an accident, and a rare one at that.

cjk374

I was always taught that the words "brang" & "buyed" do not exist as proper English or as any correct form of spelled words.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

GaryV

My teachers learned me to use the correct words.

hotdogPi

My Ben & Jerry's make your own tie-dye shirt says:

I tied it
I dyed it
I buyed it
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Duke87

No, no I do not.

Though that's not to say there aren't any other verbs I do interesting things with. I fairly consistently use "dreamt" (rhymes with "tempt") as the past tense of "dream". This is technically not incorrect - however it is less common/possibly somewhat archaic, and I've had amateur language police harass me about it.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

kkt

Quote from: Duke87 on September 16, 2017, 10:36:21 AM
No, no I do not.

Though that's not to say there aren't any other verbs I do interesting things with. I fairly consistently use "dreamt" (rhymes with "tempt") as the past tense of "dream". This is technically not incorrect - however it is less common/possibly somewhat archaic, and I've had amateur language police harass me about it.

I use "dreamt" pretty often, not always.  It is correct.  You have my permission to swat the language police on the nose with the OED if they try to tell you otherwise.

1995hoo

Why would anyone older than, say, five years old say "buyed"?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Jardine

I say pled instead of pleaded, and I'd swear until a few years ago EVERYONE else did too, and now I'm the only one . . .

1995hoo

Quote from: Jardine on September 16, 2017, 02:19:40 PM
I say pled instead of pleaded, and I'd swear until a few years ago EVERYONE else did too, and now I'm the only one . . .

The one that's puzzled me recently is the media using "admonishment" instead of "admonition," especially because the media usually opt for the form that uses fewer characters for space reasons (this is one major reason why the Associated Press omits the serial comma, for example).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Jardine

When did 'busted' get approved, BTW ?

And what's wrong with 'broken' ??

7/8

I never say "buyed", but I'll somtimes say "broke" instead of "braked". It's annoying that the past tense of "break" and "brake" are different.

michravera

Quote from: bandit957 on September 15, 2017, 11:19:22 PM

I'v never used "buyed" unless I was deliberately making fun of either the language as a whole or trying to sound childlike.

I've definitely used "byed" as a verbal form "to take a rest or to have no scheduled game for the period of time when everyone else is playing".

"How did you guys do in round 5?"
"We byed".

adventurernumber1

I usually say "bought," but sometimes I'll accidentally say "buyed," but it doesn't matter to me.

I am heavily one as well. Other people, including my mom, scold me when I say "brang," but I refuse to believe that "brang" and "brung" are not legitimate words. They are intensely a part of my personal vocabulary.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

hbelkins

No, I don't say "buyed." I say "bought" Or perhaps "got." As in, "I got a package of paper towels at the store like you wanted, honey."

I don't say "brang" but sometimes my rural eastern Kentucky Appalachian-American upbringing comes out and I will say "brung." As in, "I brung those paper towels in when I got home and put them on the kitchen counter."

Quote from: Jardine on September 16, 2017, 02:19:40 PM

"Pleaded" is AP style. I used to say "pled" but being a newspaper editor broke me of that. Now, I cringe when I see a media outlet report that someone pled guilty instead of pleaded guilty. I think either are correct according to the dictionary, but pleaded is the correct journalistic term.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

Midwest thing?  Dude, you're from Kentucky, which is The South, not in any way, shape, or form, the Midwest.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Brandon on September 16, 2017, 05:44:20 PM

Midwest thing?  Dude, you're from Kentucky, which is The South, not in any way, shape, or form, the Midwest.

He's from the suburbs of Cincinnati. Do things really change that much just by crossing the Ohio River?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

CNGL-Leudimin

I say "comprado". The only thing is that English is not my first language :sombrero:. Should I use the word in English, it's always "bought". It's nice to see dialectal differences, as it happens with most, if not all, languages.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hbelkins

Quote from: 1 on September 16, 2017, 06:10:49 PM
Quote from: Brandon on September 16, 2017, 05:44:20 PM

He's from the suburbs of Cincinnati. Do things really change that much just by crossing the Ohio River?

Despite the fact that much of northern Kentucky (the three northernmost counties) and southwestern Ohio is populated by displaced eastern and southeastern Kentuckians and their children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, that region is much more midwestern than southern/southeastern.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JJBers

Quote from: jakeroot on September 15, 2017, 11:51:23 PM
Although technically everyone says it erroneously, I often say it knowing its wrong, and then immediately I correct myself. I almost always say "buyed" when someone asks me if I bought [specific item], to which I sometimes reply "I buyed it -- sorry, bought it".
Pretty much the same problem here....
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.