News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Do you say "buyed" instead of "bought"?

Started by bandit957, September 15, 2017, 11:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: hbelkins on September 16, 2017, 07:13:51 PM
Quote from: 1 on September 16, 2017, 06:10:49 PM
Quote from: Brandon on September 16, 2017, 05:44:20 PM
Quote from: bandit957 on September 15, 2017, 11:19:22 PM
Do you say "buyed" instead of "bought"? I do.

I'm also a "bring/brang/brung" guy.

Is this only a Midwest thing?

Midwest thing?  Dude, you're from Kentucky, which is The South, not in any way, shape, or form, the Midwest.

He's from the suburbs of Cincinnati. Do things really change that much just by crossing the Ohio River?

Despite the fact that much of northern Kentucky (the three northernmost counties) and southwestern Ohio is populated by displaced eastern and southeastern Kentuckians and their children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren, that region is much more midwestern than southern/southeastern.

Speaking from a Chicago/Detroit perspective, Cincy is more southern than midwestern.  It's roots are Appalachian, not Midlands or from New England.  Therefore, it's more southern than midwestern.  Same goes for far downstate Illinois and Indiana.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jwolfer

Older versions of English had stem changes not different endings for different tenses

Some stem changes survive today in general use or in certain dialects.

Buyed fits the rules, so a child( or really anyone) learning English is likely to say buyed or goed instead of went

LGMS428

jwolfer

Midwest thing?  Dude, you're from Kentucky, which is The South, not in any way, shape, or form, the Midwest.
Northern Kentucky is as Southern as Northern Virginia or South Florida.

If someone said Alexandria, Virginia or Boca Raton, Florida was not in any way shape or form Northeastern that would be crazy

LGMS428

hbelkins

Quote from: ParrDa on September 16, 2017, 09:24:19 PM
Another midwest thing that bugs me: "I seen" instead of "I saw"

This is also common in the rural Appalachians.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SignGeek101

Never heard "buyed". I have heard "brang" instead of "brought" though.

Takumi

Quote from: jwolfer on September 16, 2017, 09:41:42 PM

Northern Kentucky is as Southern as Northern Virginia or South Florida.

If someone said Alexandria, Virginia or Boca Raton, Florida was not in any way shape or form Northeastern that would be crazy
+1. Virginia is a completely different state north of Fredericksburg.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kkt

Quote from: Jardine on September 16, 2017, 02:19:40 PM
I say pled instead of pleaded, and I'd swear until a few years ago EVERYONE else did too, and now I'm the only one . . .

You're not the only one.  AP style is wrong about a lot of things.  Don't get me started on the penultimate comma.

vdeane

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jakeroot

Quote from: vdeane on September 18, 2017, 01:09:54 PM
The Oxford Comma is quite necessary.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/adamdavis/the-oxford-comma-is-extremely-important-and-everyone-should?utm_term=.ebyYYNmD0#.bjAqqK6MA

I didn't realize that people didn't put a comma before "and". I've always done this. Of course, I always put punctuation marks outside of quotes (when at the end of a sentence), rather than inside the quotes. Not sure when I started picking up British writing styles.

ColossalBlocks

Those who say 'buyed' instead of 'bought' shall be convicted of treason of the highest order in Alanland.

Those convicted of treason shall be sentenced to death. The execution is tonight, with Noelbotevera, Max R., and myself being the executioners.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

jakeroot

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on September 18, 2017, 01:49:45 PM
Those who say 'buyed' instead of 'bought' shall be convicted of treason of the highest order in Alanland.

What about those who've said it accidentally? I admitted as much in the third post. Apparently everyone else is fuckin' perfect.

JJBers

Quote from: jakeroot on September 18, 2017, 01:55:41 PM
Quote from: ColossalBlocks on September 18, 2017, 01:49:45 PM

What about those who've said it accidentally? I admitted as much in the third post. Apparently everyone else is fuckin' perfect.
5 years community service at Alanland National Industrial Park
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

triplemultiplex

And in the Northeast, it's "I sawr".
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Brandon

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 18, 2017, 02:22:27 PM

While dropping the "r" everywhere else.

Please, pak the cah.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jakeroot

Quote from: Brandon on September 18, 2017, 02:32:24 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 18, 2017, 02:22:27 PM

While dropping the "r" everywhere else.

Please, pak the cah.

Intrusive "R" versus non-rhotic "R". English really is a lovely language.

cjk374

I love speaking my southern English to non-southern people. I found out years ago that I say things that actually need explanation. I said to some folks, "I'm fixin' to go to the coke machine & get a coke. Y'all want one?" I had hell trying to figure out a way to explain "fixin' to" because I have said it all my life, then came the discussion about coke/soda/pop.

Ain't English awesome?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US 81

I worked with someone from rural Michigan who said "buyed" more often than "bought" and who also frequently said "I seen" rather than "I saw."

I wondered if it was regional, or if it was an affectation....

GaryV

Quote from: US 81 on September 18, 2017, 05:06:43 PM
I worked with someone from rural Michigan who said "buyed" more often than "bought" and who also frequently said "I seen" rather than "I saw."

Or an individual.

jakeroot

I worked with someone from rural Michigan who...frequently said "I seen" rather than "I saw."

Were they African American? In my experience, "I seen" is a common "ebonic" variation of "I saw". Not the case in the South, where whites and blacks seem to share many of the same linguistic characteristics, but perhaps in Michigan. Not sure how strong the Michigan accent is among the white population up there.

US 81

Quote from: jakeroot on September 18, 2017, 05:36:41 PM
I worked with someone from rural Michigan who...frequently said "I seen" rather than "I saw."

Were they African American? In my experience, "I seen" is a common "ebonic" variation of "I saw". Not the case in the South, where whites and blacks seem to share many of the same linguistic characteristics, but perhaps in Michigan. Not sure how strong the Michigan accent is among the white population up there.

No, he was white/Caucasian. 

jakeroot

Quote from: US 81 on September 19, 2017, 04:53:59 PM

Hmmm. Did he have a speech impediment? (i.e. did he cock up other words too? Other than the aforementioned use of "buyed").

US 81

Quote from: jakeroot on September 19, 2017, 06:25:56 PM

Hmmm. Did he have a speech impediment? (i.e. did he cock up other words too? Other than the aforementioned use of "buyed").

He did indeed conjugate many words differently than "standard" American English, but it definitely seemed to be usage and not a speech impediment: past tense verbs, usually if not always first-person, both singular and plural.

FWIW, he described himself as having been raised in a very rural area of the UP. (As a Texan who has not yet had the pleasure of visiting, I don't really see any "citified" areas of the UP on the map....)

LM117

I've been through a few states and never once heard anyone say "buyed". Never.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

jakeroot

Quote from: US 81 on September 20, 2017, 05:57:06 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 19, 2017, 06:25:56 PM

He did indeed conjugate many words differently than "standard" American English, but it definitely seemed to be usage and not a speech impediment: past tense verbs, usually if not always first-person, both singular and plural.

FWIW, he described himself as having been raised in a very rural area of the UP. (As a Texan who has not yet had the pleasure of visiting, I don't really see any "citified" areas of the UP on the map....)

Most of the remaining "unique" accents in this country seem to be in areas with little outside contact. I'm sure certain villages in the Upper Peninsula would qualify. A more famous example might be the High Tider accent spoken in some of the isolated coastal North Carolina communities.

triplemultiplex

"Buyed" sounds like something a toddler would say.
e.g.
"My daddy buyed a new car!"
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.