News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Florida's Colored Shields

Started by Quillz, November 05, 2010, 08:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

How did they assign the colors? Did each US Route get its own color, or was it based on orientation? (Was one color for north-south routes, another for east-west?) From what I've seen, a few had the standard black-on-white, US 98 was white-on-black and then the other approved colors like red, blue, green and brown were used.

Andrew T.

The colors seem to have been assigned with these guidelines in mind:

Red:  Two-digit north-south
Green:  Two-digit north-south (Alternate color)
Yellow:  Three-digit
Brown:  Three-digit (Alternate color)
Blue:  Two-digit east-west

The rule that tended to trump all others was that duplication of colors along routes that touched was avoided...which is why 17, 192, and 331 deviated from these "guidelines," and why 41 and 98 were assigned unique colors of their own.
Think Metric!

roadman65

Quote from: Andrew T. on November 05, 2010, 11:04:07 PM
The colors seem to have been assigned with these guidelines in mind:

Red:  Two-digit north-south
Green:  Two-digit north-south (Alternate color)
Yellow:  Three-digit
Brown:  Three-digit (Alternate color)
Blue:  Two-digit east-west

The rule that tended to trump all others was that duplication of colors along routes that touched was avoided...which is why 17, 192, and 331 deviated from these "guidelines," and why 41 and 98 were assigned unique colors of their own.

The three brown routes were not alternating.  US 221, US 129, and US 441 are in a linear alignment.  US 319 and US 231 were in line of each other for North-South routes as well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

formulanone

It's funny to me, because for years I thought there were more colors (orange, burgundy...for example), but they were just faded colors on those signs. And now they're almost all gone.

Alps

There are definitely orange... http://www.us-highways.com/flausa.htm is your definitive source.

formulanone

It's nice to know my memory hadn't faded, either!

Cannot say I've seen an orange US 41 sign in over a decade. :(

agentsteel53

Quote from: formulanone on May 20, 2011, 07:12:53 AM

Cannot say I've seen an orange US 41 sign in over a decade. :(

they're still out there - mainly on county-road junctions with 41 in the northern part of the state.

I believe this spectacular overhead assembly, stamped 1983 on the back, still exists, south of Tampa no less.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Daniel Fiddler

Looks like Sarasota to me, one of my favorite cities to visit.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on May 20, 2011, 07:20:50 PM
Looks like Sarasota to me, one of my favorite cities to visit.

correct.  not too far from I-75.

jake@aaroads.com

ctsignguy

Glad i landed this one a few years back....orange is very hard to keep looking nice in the Florida heat
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

deathtopumpkins

Topic's been dead for a bit, but has anyone compiled a list of known colored US shields left in Florida? I stumbled across one in Walton County on a side road on streetview, and was wondering if it was known already or not.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alex

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on July 03, 2011, 09:58:02 PM
Topic's been dead for a bit, but has anyone compiled a list of known colored US shields left in Florida? I stumbled across one in Walton County on a side road on streetview, and was wondering if it was known already or not.

I have a list in my head of them, and between flaroads and myself, there is a Florida Rand with dots highlighted of where we have found both colored US shields and Keys state roads shields.

If the Walton shield you found was the reverse black/white US 98 on CR 83, it is now gone.

deathtopumpkins

Nope, it's a blue JCT 90 sign. Not sure what the side road its on is numbered because streetview imagery is not clear enough and I don't trust Google's labels. It's near Mossy Head.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

DeaconG

Does a colored one on a BGS count?  There's one on the Beachline for the US 1 Cocoa/Titusville exit eastbound...
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Alex

Quote from: DeaconG on July 11, 2011, 01:25:05 PM
Does a colored one on a BGS count?  There's one on the Beachline for the US 1 Cocoa/Titusville exit eastbound...

Yes they count:

There were two still remaining in downtown Miami for U.S. 1 until their recent replacement...

agentsteel53

really?  I don't think I've seen that one.  can you grab us a photo?

jake@aaroads.com

realjd

Are you sure? I've taken that exit multiple times and would have remembered seeing it. I've never taken the WB exit off of the beachline at US1 though so perhaps it's there?

DeaconG

Quote from: realjd on July 11, 2011, 04:28:54 PM

Are you sure? I've taken that exit multiple times and would have remembered seeing it. I've never taken the WB exit off of the beachline at US1 though so perhaps it's there?

I checked Google Earth and it's not there.  Guess I'm gonna have to take my camera out there later on this week-I know it was there years past, but that's what you get when you drive a route so many times you take for granted what's there.
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"

Aerobird

Arise, arise, fallen thread of yore...

Reviving the topic as relevant, I discovered a pair of (completely-faded, because yellow) colored US 319 shields on County Road 370 (JCT and trailblazer) in Franklin County, just south of the Ochlocknee River.
Rule 37. There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'.

jwolfer

Quote from: DeaconG on July 11, 2011, 04:59:02 PM
Quote from: realjd on July 11, 2011, 04:28:54 PM

I checked Google Earth and it's not there.  Guess I'm gonna have to take my camera out there later on this week-I know it was there years past, but that's what you get when you drive a route so many times you take for granted what's there.
Even in the heyday of colored shields the only one i recall on BGS was at the end of i95 in Miami having a red 1 shield.

When i was real little my earliest memories, mid to late1970s, i recall in Florida the BGS did not have shields but text "U.S. 17" or "Fla. 228" etc. When shields were put on BGS they were white.

If colored US shields are forbidden, or at least not paid for, why are colored SR shields allowed in states like California, Minnesota and Kansas on federally funded projects

LGMS428

Alex

Quote from: Aerobird on March 18, 2017, 01:40:16 AM
Arise, arise, fallen thread of yore...

Reviving the topic as relevant, I discovered a pair of (completely-faded, because yellow) colored US 319 shields on County Road 370 (JCT and trailblazer) in Franklin County, just south of the Ochlocknee River.

There is one more north of the Ochlocokonee River on County Road 299 leading east to U.S. 319. Was still there in January 2016.

1995hoo

I thought in today's world you were supposed to call them "shields of color." :bigass:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jwolfer

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 18, 2017, 12:21:01 PM
I thought in today's world you were supposed to call them "shields of color." :bigass:
LMAO

LGMS428

compdude787

LOL  :-D

DeaconG

So is Florida now "chromatically challenged?"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.