News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Kentucky

Started by NE2, April 22, 2011, 07:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on April 01, 2015, 11:54:04 AM
Whoa, HB. Did I miss something? I was driving the Industrial Parkway/KY 67 a few days ago and there were signs posted for 65 MPH! I thought it was perhaps a one-time deal, but New Circle Road/KY 4, East-West Connector/KY 676 and some other limited access roads (for the state) have all been boosted! I didn't see anything go through the legislature on this one.

News to me. I thought the only non-freeway route in the state to have a higher speed limit was a section of US 68/KY 80 between Bowling Green and Hopkinsville. Last time I was on the connector in Frankfort, I didn't notice. I'm a bit surprised that a two-lane route (KY 67) would get a 65 mph speed limit. The House transportation committee chairman lives in Johnson County on US 23 and he has always opposed raising the speed limit on surface four-lane routes above 55 mph.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

Hibby got owned by a lame April fools.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

seicer

Yeah, it was all I had. No photoshopping this time.

tidecat

Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

iBallasticwolf2

Here is a thread for miscellaneous things in Kentucky.
The last time I went on the new KY 16 bypass of Taylor Mill it was entirely 4 lanes, but it was still posted at 30 mph and signed with "TO: 16". Construction seems to be wrapping up on the bypass with sidewalks and other little things being finished. Judging by the fact the school zone speed limit is 35 the whole road will be posted at 45 for non-school time.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 23, 2015, 10:26:41 AM
The last time I went on the new KY 16 bypass of Taylor Mill it was entirely 4 lanes, but it was still posted at 30 mph and signed with "TO: 16". Construction seems to be wrapping up on the bypass with sidewalks and other little things being finished. Judging by the fact the school zone speed limit is 35 the whole road will be posted at 45 for non-school time.
Update: I went on the road today and the bypass is posted at 45 mph. It is signed as KY 16, the old KY 16 is signed as KY 3716. Construction seems to have wrapped up fully now. I'll update OSM for this change.

hbelkins

I've noticed that lately, when Kentucky relocates a highway, the old route gets a four-digit number that incorporates part of the old number if they can't extend an existing number (such as was done with KY 205 taking over part of KY 15's old route in Breathitt County).

Old US 27 in Pulaski County -- KY 2227.
Old US 150 in Rockcastle/Lincoln counties -- KY xx50.
Old KY 30 in Jackson and Laurel counties -- KY 3630.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on August 23, 2015, 05:52:26 PM
I've noticed that lately, when Kentucky relocates a highway, the old route gets a four-digit number that incorporates part of the old number if they can't extend an existing number (such as was done with KY 205 taking over part of KY 15's old route in Breathitt County).

Old US 27 in Pulaski County -- KY 2227.
Old US 150 in Rockcastle/Lincoln counties -- KY xx50.
Old KY 30 in Jackson and Laurel counties -- KY 3630.

And KY 3527...? (j/k) :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

The Ghostbuster

Whose idea was it to create four-digit state highway designations? I find that a little strange. Three digits are enough for me.

amroad17

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 23, 2015, 04:01:11 PM
Update: I went on the road today and the bypass is posted at 45 mph. It is signed as KY 16, the old KY 16 is signed as KY 3716. Construction seems to have wrapped up fully now. I'll update OSM for this change.
I thought that old KY 16 (Taylor Mill Road) would be Business KY 16.  Wrong on my part.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: amroad17 on August 25, 2015, 06:57:31 PM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 23, 2015, 04:01:11 PM
I thought that old KY 16 (Taylor Mill Road) would be Business KY 16.  Wrong on my part.
It probably wasn't BUS KY 16 because it doesn't go through a "Downtown." Taylor Mill doesn't have a downtown. It is kind of similar to when the KY 17 bypass part was built in 2001 bypassing what is now KY 3035.

amroad17

Yes, you are correct in your assessment.  It is just what Kentucky does.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

jnewkirk77

Plans continue to move forward on the replacement for the U.S. 60 Spottsville Bridge over the Green River in Henderson County:

http://www.courierpress.com/gleaner/plans-laid-out-for-wider-new-spottsville-bridge_37223162

I'm pleasantly surprised KYTC is going for a truss-style bridge.  :clap:

tidecat

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 25, 2015, 02:43:53 PM
Whose idea was it to create four-digit state highway designations? I find that a little strange. Three digits are enough for me.
It's because there aren't numbered county routes like most states have.  But even the one historical example I can find of a county route from Kentucky has a four digit number:

http://www.routemarkers.com/usa/county.html
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: tidecat on August 26, 2015, 10:08:10 PM
It's because there aren't numbered county routes like most states have.  But even the one historical example I can find of a county route from Kentucky has a four digit number:

That is beautiful. But anyway the 4 digit routes work well for roads like KY 1120 where it is important enough for for a state route designation but too short for a 3 digit number.

hbelkins

Kentucky was into the four-digit realm decades ago. You can look at some of the old historical maps and see four-digit numbers.

GCrites

Quote from: tidecat on August 26, 2015, 10:08:10 PM

In addition, KY doesn't have townships -- so no TWP roads.

slorydn1

KY is not alone, we have 4 digit SR#'s in NC too, we just don't sign them, per se. The difference is ours work more like county roads in that the numbers are reused in other counties on other roads. There are a few that do continue on from one county to another (SR-1004 is Brices Creek Rd in Craven County and becomes Island Creek Rd in Jones County, for example).
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

iBallasticwolf2

I think Virginia uses 4 digit routes too.

jbnati27

Quote from: slorydn1 on August 28, 2015, 12:02:14 PM
KY is not alone, we have 4 digit SR#'s in NC too, we just don't sign them, per se. The difference is ours work more like county roads in that the numbers are reused in other counties on other roads. There are a few that do continue on from one county to another (SR-1004 is Brices Creek Rd in Craven County and becomes Island Creek Rd in Jones County, for example).

I've also seen them in Pennsylvania. They appear on the mile marker signs, in the same way the true signed routes do.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: jbnati27 on September 16, 2015, 12:15:24 PM
Quote from: slorydn1 on August 28, 2015, 12:02:14 PM

I've also seen them in Pennsylvania. They appear on the mile marker signs, in the same way the true signed routes do.
North Dakota uses 4 digit routes too.

hbelkins

Sometimes I'm not sure what my home state is thinking.

The Cynthiana Bypass is signed as US 62. Not US 27, which would be more logical. What they should have done is route both US 27 and US 62 on the bypass and sign the old road as Business US 27.

And the new section of US 68 between Paris and Millersburg is four lanes. Way overbuilt in my opinion. Can't see why this isn't two lanes with an occasional passing lane.

wriddle082

Quote from: hbelkins on November 04, 2015, 03:21:40 PM
And the new section of US 68 between Paris and Millersburg is four lanes. Way overbuilt in my opinion. Can't see why this isn't two lanes with an occasional passing lane.

I had to drive 68 a lot last year b/w Lexington and Maysville.  I think the four lanes were justified.  Was pretty busy going NE of Paris.  I would imagine the ultimate goal would be to have a 4-lane corridor to connect Maysville to Lexington, which at this rate might happen more quickly than 4-laning the AA Highway.

Rothman

Quote from: wriddle082 on November 05, 2015, 06:44:32 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on November 04, 2015, 03:21:40 PM

I had to drive 68 a lot last year b/w Lexington and Maysville.  I think the four lanes were justified.  Was pretty busy going NE of Paris.  I would imagine the ultimate goal would be to have a 4-lane corridor to connect Maysville to Lexington, which at this rate might happen more quickly than 4-laning the AA Highway.

Wouldn't 4-laning the AA be unlikely anyway given all the press it got as being a prime example of context-sensitive engineering (whether true or not)?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: wriddle082 on November 05, 2015, 06:44:32 AM

I had to drive 68 a lot last year b/w Lexington and Maysville.  I think the four lanes were justified.  Was pretty busy going NE of Paris.  I would imagine the ultimate goal would be to have a 4-lane corridor to connect Maysville to Lexington

Probably not going to happen. The section between KY 32 near Carlisle and the Licking River crossing is relatively new (built within the last 20 years). The bypass of Millersburg is under construction, but they're very early in the process and I couldn't tell if it will be two or four lanes. There is probably some commuter traffic between Carlisle and Lexington, but I've never noticed a lot of traffic between Carlisle and Maysville.

With the new construction of KY 11 in Montgomery County, the I-64/KY 11 corridor through Mt. Sterling might siphon some Maysville-to-Lexington traffic off US 68.

Quotewhich at this rate might happen more quickly than 4-laning the AA Highway.

Doubt it will ever be four-laned completely, given some of the relatively low traffic volumes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.