News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 12

Started by broadhurst04, August 24, 2011, 11:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadhurst04

Why is Interstate 12 numbered as such? Shouldn't it be numbered as I-x10? It appears to exist solely as a northern bypass of New Orleans. Why does it have a mainline number when both termini lie on I-10 (85 miles apart) and there are no major cities along the way?

NE2

Because all intercity routes were numbered before any auxiliaries. So I-195 in RI and MA was I-95E, I-380 in PA was I-81E, etc.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SP Cook

Really, I-12 should be I-10 and I-10 should be the auxiliary.

froggie

Other way around, SP.  Longstanding numbering policy is for the 2-digit route to go through the city and the 3-digit route to bypass it.

NE2

The real reason that I-12 was never considered for part of I-10 is that early plans had it junctioning I-59 in Mississippi, north of I-10.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Interstate_Highway_plan_June_27,_1958.jpg

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Quillz

Quote from: froggie on August 25, 2011, 04:47:56 PM
Other way around, SP.  Longstanding numbering policy is for the 2-digit route to go through the city and the 3-digit route to bypass it.
But don't Interstates also take the shortest path possible? I thought that was the reason why certain alignments don't necessarily always pass through or by major cities. In that case, it seems like I-10 would have had a more direct path through Louisiana by bypassing New Orleans.

But maybe that's never been the policy, I don't know for sure.

Alps

That's been broken before. See I-5W/E in California, where I-5W was broken up despite going through "the city" (Oakland).

froggie

It's been broken elsewhere (mainly in NC).  But those are exceptions rather than the rule.

mgk920

Quote from: froggie on August 26, 2011, 06:59:02 AM
It's been broken elsewhere (mainly in NC).  But those are exceptions rather than the rule.

Also, I-90 vs. I-490 in the Rochester, NY area.

Mike

berberry

Quote from: Quillz on August 25, 2011, 09:22:27 PMBut don't Interstates also take the shortest path possible? I thought that was the reason why certain alignments don't necessarily always pass through or by major cities. In that case, it seems like I-10 would have had a more direct path through Louisiana by bypassing New Orleans.

I don't know either, but if so there's yet another exeption right inside New Orleans itself - the I-610 is a shorter route across town than I-10.

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: berberry on August 26, 2011, 12:40:47 PM
I don't know either, but if so there's yet another exeption right inside New Orleans itself - the I-610 is a shorter route across town than I-10.

It's shorter, but the 610 still effectively bypasses the CBD.

Alps

Quote from: mgk920 on August 26, 2011, 12:22:35 PM
Quote from: froggie on August 26, 2011, 06:59:02 AM

Also, I-90 vs. I-490 in the Rochester, NY area.

Mike

That's a case of keeping I-90 on the Thruway rather than hopping on and off. I don't think the Turnpike systems are a fair comparison to the general principle.

NE2

I-80 around Chicago is almost the New Orleans situation rotated 180°, in that I-59 could have gone into New Orleans like I-55 into Chicago. The only major difference is that I-12 was a late addition (ca. 1957) and was not always planned to tie into I-10 at its east end.

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on August 27, 2011, 12:52:32 AM
I-80 around Chicago is almost the New Orleans situation rotated 180°, in that I-59 could have gone into New Orleans like I-55 into Chicago. The only major difference is that I-12 was a late addition (ca. 1957) and was not always planned to tie into I-10 at its east end.

I-80 is meant to go to Joliet and Davenport.  I-90 and I-94 are meant to go to Chicago and north.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

Quote from: Brandon on August 27, 2011, 01:23:52 AM
Quote from: NE2 on August 27, 2011, 12:52:32 AM

I-80 is meant to go to Joliet and Davenport.  I-90 and I-94 are meant to go to Chicago and north.

Just like I-10 could have been intended to go to Slidell and Mobile, with I-whatever splitting off at Baton Rouge to go to New Orleans (and south).

UptownRoadGeek

Well I-10 wasn't originally meant to pass through Slidell, what is now I-10 from N.O. to Slidell was supposed to be I-59. I-10 would have continued due east out of N.O. across the Rigolets toward Waveland. I-12 on the other hand would have gone up into Mississippi.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on August 27, 2011, 11:04:56 PM
Well I-10 wasn't originally meant to pass through Slidell, what is now I-10 from N.O. to Slidell was supposed to be I-59. I-10 would have continued due east out of N.O. across the Rigolets toward Waveland. I-12 on the other hand would have gone up into Mississippi.
That goes back to the "interstate" following US 61 into New Orleans and following US 90 out of New Orleans when the Interregional Highways plan was mapped out in the 1940s.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

lamsalfl

I-12 carries the transcontinental traffic.  Good enough reason for me to give it a 2di.

jwolfer

Quote from: lamsalfl on September 02, 2011, 11:30:23 PM
I-12 carries the transcontinental traffic.  Good enough reason for me to give it a 2di.

I agree..Unlike I-97 in its present form

US71

Quote from: Quillz on August 25, 2011, 09:22:27 PM
But don't Interstates also take the shortest path possible? I thought that was the reason why certain alignments don't necessarily always pass through or by major cities. In that case, it seems like I-10 would have had a more direct path through Louisiana by bypassing New Orleans.

I-40 in Arkansas dips to graze North Little Rock. If it took the shortest path, it would pass through Beebe. Maybe it was decided N.O. was significant enough to have major Interstate number such as 10 rather than 12 or a Spur/Loop of 10?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

NE2

Quote from: US71 on January 20, 2013, 09:38:39 AM
I-40 in Arkansas dips to graze North Little Rock. If it took the shortest path, it would pass through Beebe.
The main road has always followed the Arkansas River through Conway and Little Rock.

US71

Quote from: NE2 on January 20, 2013, 04:49:02 PM
I-40 in Arkansas dips to graze North Little Rock. If it took the shortest path, it would pass through Beebe.
The main road has always followed the Arkansas River through Conway and Little Rock.

And your point?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

NE2

And your point in asking what my point is? Chill, bro.

Alps

Quote from: US71 on January 20, 2013, 07:41:43 PM
Quote from: NE2 on January 20, 2013, 04:49:02 PM

And your point?
Read your own post. You asked why the Interstate doesn't follow the shortest path. Sometimes, it's because it follows the main road.

lamsalfl

I-40 in Arkansas dips to graze North Little Rock. If it took the shortest path, it would pass through Beebe. Maybe it was decided N.O. was significant enough to have major Interstate number such as 10 rather than 12 or a Spur/Loop of 10?

The Port of New Orleans is a port located in New Orleans, Louisiana. It is the 1st in the United States based on volume of cargo handled, second-largest in the state after the Port of South Louisiana, and 13th largest in the U.S. based on value of cargo. It also has the longest wharf in the world, which is 2.01 miles (3.4 km) long and can accommodate 15 vessels at one time.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_new_orleans

I think there's the answer.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.