I-71/I-75 Brent Spence Bridge Replacement

Started by The Great Zo, November 28, 2012, 06:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iBallasticwolf2

Polling finds that 61% of voters would find a $1 toll "acceptable" to fund Brent Spence Bridge "improvements".
http://www.wcpo.com/news/transportation-development/brent-spence-bridge-majority-ok-with-1-toll-to-fund-brent-spence-bridge-improvements-survey-finds
But seriously, wouldn't a $1 toll literally only be enough to cover the electronic toll gantry, and the administrative costs of sorting through the unrecognized license plates and sending mail for bill by plate and toll violations?  I would guess for the actual replacement bridge to be built, a $4.50 non E-ZPASS toll and a $4 E-ZPASS/Riverlink toll.  A $2.50 non E-ZPASS toll could fund a deck replacement and other overhauls to the bridge.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

hbelkins

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 13, 2017, 10:17:02 AM
Quote from: vtk on July 13, 2017, 08:11:45 AM
I occasionally go to Cincinnati for work, typically taking either 71 or 75 almost all the way to the Brent Spence. Are there good alternate routes I should consider?  My destination is the railroad yard accessed from Gest St, and I could be going there anytime between 5pm and 5am.
I would recommend getting off 75 at Kyles Lane/KY 1072, because that's where the backup usually starts, but sometimes it starts earlier.  Follow US 25 into Covington and then use the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge, then take 3rd street to Gest Street.

I think he's coming in from the north.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: hbelkins on July 13, 2017, 11:01:54 AM
I occasionally go to Cincinnati for work, typically taking either 71 or 75 almost all the way to the Brent Spence. Are there good alternate routes I should consider?  My destination is the railroad yard accessed from Gest St, and I could be going there anytime between 5pm and 5am.
I would recommend getting off 75 at Kyles Lane/KY 1072, because that's where the backup usually starts, but sometimes it starts earlier.  Follow US 25 into Covington and then use the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge, then take 3rd street to Gest Street.

In that case US 42 to 9th Street would probably be the best bet, although I'm not sure how congested I-71 gets.

JMoses24

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 13, 2017, 11:55:34 AM

In that case US 42 to 9th Street would probably be the best bet, although I'm not sure how congested I-71 gets.

I-71 delays typically begin at Taft. So, I would be inclined to suggest taking the Western Avenue exit and then staying on it to Gest. Of course, at the early end of that timeframe you're hosed no matter what.

vtk

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 13, 2017, 11:55:34 AM
US 42 to 9th Street would probably be the best bet, although I'm not sure how congested I-71 gets.

Quote from: JMoses24 on July 13, 2017, 06:02:56 PM
I-71 delays typically begin at Taft. So, I would be inclined to suggest taking the Western Avenue exit and then staying on it to Gest. Of course, at the early end of that timeframe you're hosed no matter what.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think she's coming in from the north.

Thanks for the context I neglected to include.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

ukfan758

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 13, 2017, 10:24:09 AM
Polling finds that 61% of voters would find a $1 toll "acceptable" to fund Brent Spence Bridge "improvements".
http://www.wcpo.com/news/transportation-development/brent-spence-bridge-majority-ok-with-1-toll-to-fund-brent-spence-bridge-improvements-survey-finds
But seriously, wouldn't a $1 toll literally only be enough to cover the electronic toll gantry, and the administrative costs of sorting through the unrecognized license plates and sending mail for bill by plate and toll violations?  I would guess for the actual replacement bridge to be built, a $4.50 non E-ZPASS toll and a $4 E-ZPASS/Riverlink toll.  A $2.50 non E-ZPASS toll could fund a deck replacement and other overhauls to the bridge.
Louisville's Ohio River Bridges project cost 2.3 billion and they're paying it with $1 for frequent commuters, $2 for cars, $5 for 3&4 axle, $10 for 5 axles or more (Riverlink/EZ Pass transponder rates). What hasn't been discussed much is that tolls are staying for at least 40 years and will go up with inflation. The same low tolls can be done with Brent Spence, but expect to spend decades paying for it.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: ukfan758 on July 15, 2017, 02:21:34 AM
Louisville's Ohio River Bridges project cost 2.3 billion and they're paying it with $1 for frequent commuters, $2 for cars, $5 for 3&4 axle, $10 for 5 axles or more (Riverlink/EZ Pass transponder rates). What hasn't been discussed much is that tolls are staying for at least 40 years and will go up with inflation. The same low tolls can be done with Brent Spence, but expect to spend decades paying for it.
I imagine that the majority of users of a tolled Brent Spence Bridge would not be EZ Pass or Riverlink users, only because there aren't any tolls in the Cincinnati area, so adoption would be slow.  There would certainly be a drop in traffic temporarily, much like the I-65 bridge had, but it might take a while for traffic to go back up since I-471 and the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge are nearby.  If it happens, it might finally be time for me to replace my Sunpass with an NC Quick Pass  :nod:

hbelkins

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 15, 2017, 01:16:56 PM
I imagine that the majority of users of a tolled Brent Spence Bridge would not be EZ Pass or Riverlink users, only because there aren't any tolls in the Cincinnati area, so adoption would be slow.  There would certainly be a drop in traffic temporarily, much like the I-65 bridge had, but it might take a while for traffic to go back up since I-471 and the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge are nearby.  If it happens, it might finally be time for me to replace my Sunpass with an NC Quick Pass  :nod:

There weren't any tolls in the Louisville area either.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: hbelkins on July 15, 2017, 11:14:40 PM

How fast has adoption of EZ Pass/Riverlink been in Louisville?

ukfan758

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 16, 2017, 12:53:44 PM

According to a news article back in April: http://www.wdrb.com/story/35225397/traffic-increasing-on-ohio-river-toll-bridges-riverlink-says

"The data released Monday also indicates that more people are opening RiverLink accounts, giving them the ability to pay the lowest toll rate. When tolls started at the end of December, there were 78,500 accounts; by the end of March, 107,550 accounts had been created."

"Nearly 275,000 transponders had been issued by the end of March, a 60 percent increase since the start of tolling. Local transponders, which work on the three bridges between Louisville and Clark County, Ind., made up 85 percent of the devices."

I assume that the number has increased. The sticker transponders are quite common in the east end of Louisville, I haven't seen many of the EZ Pass transponders though. Now for actual usage of the bridges, the article says there was about 15,000 a day on the Lewis and Clark and around 70,000 on the downtown bridges. They've also started selling them in stores. http://www.wdrb.com/story/35749925/prepaid-riverlink-transponders-start-hitting-store-shelves-in-louisville

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: ukfan758 on July 17, 2017, 05:44:21 PM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 16, 2017, 12:53:44 PM

According to a news article back in April: http://www.wdrb.com/story/35225397/traffic-increasing-on-ohio-river-toll-bridges-riverlink-says

"The data released Monday also indicates that more people are opening RiverLink accounts, giving them the ability to pay the lowest toll rate. When tolls started at the end of December, there were 78,500 accounts; by the end of March, 107,550 accounts had been created."

"Nearly 275,000 transponders had been issued by the end of March, a 60 percent increase since the start of tolling. Local transponders, which work on the three bridges between Louisville and Clark County, Ind., made up 85 percent of the devices."

I assume that the number has increased. The sticker transponders are quite common in the east end of Louisville, I haven't seen many of the EZ Pass transponders though. Now for actual usage of the bridges, the article says there was about 15,000 a day on the Lewis and Clark and around 70,000 on the downtown bridges. They've also started selling them in stores. http://www.wdrb.com/story/35749925/prepaid-riverlink-transponders-start-hitting-store-shelves-in-louisville
Hm, not bad.  Considering the amount of commuters that cross the Brent Spence Bridge, it is likely that at least 1/4 of the AADT of the Brent Spence Bridge will get an EZ Pass or Riverlink (assuming that's what is used for the bridge) if they are put on store shelves and promoted.

Buck87

Very little going on regarding this overall project, though I see Ohio has at least been working on right if way acquisition, and TRAC has approved $22.6M more for further right of way acquisition over the next 4 years.

hbelkins

There continues to be some very vocal opposition to tolls from some in northern Kentucky. The recently-defeated incumbent governor stated prior to the election that a new bridge couldn't be built without tolls. Some are attributing his loss in a couple of NKY counties to this statement.

seicer

I don't see it being a priority with Beshear because of the inherited deficit, unless it can be built with tolls but that may be political suicide.

amroad17

Quote from: hbelkins on January 05, 2020, 07:30:08 PM
There continues to be some very vocal opposition to tolls from some in northern Kentucky. The recently-defeated incumbent governor stated prior to the election that a new bridge couldn't be built without tolls. Some are attributing his loss in a couple of NKY counties to this statement.
Among the other dumbass things he said and did. 

Political pundits said Trump lost it for Bevin.  No, Bevin lost it for Bevin. (steps off soapbox)

As far as tolls on the Brent Spence replacement--they are more than likely needed.  Look at Louisville and what they are doing in the Hampton Roads area.  Have to recoup something for the improvements.

If I can find an alternative way to avoid the tolls, I will do it--although it would be a bit difficult in the Louisville area without going out of the way.  Example: if I wanted to travel to the Hubers Family Farm and Restaurant near Scottsville, IN from Cincinnati, to avoid the tolls, I would have to take I-64 west through Louisville into Indiana then take I-265 east to the State Street interchange or take US 50 out of Lawrenceburg, IN, US 421 to Madison, IN, IN 56 to Scottsburg, I-65 south to IN 60 west, to the country roads leading to Hubers.  Somewhat out of the way and a bit time consuming.

At least in Cincinnati, there would be 3 free alternatives to go from Northern Kentucky to downtown Cincinnati.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

hbelkins

I've engaged the biggest anti-toll voice (Stephen Frank, who is or was a Covington city commissioner) a few times. At first he said the tolling would put a strangling amount of traffic on city streets in Covington and Newport, and on the Clay Wade, Roebling, and Taylor-Southgate bridges; but now he says tolls would be a sop to Cincinnati's economic development and job recruitment efforts at a cost to jobs on the south side of the river. I think he just is against tolls and keeps trying to come up with a valid reason as to why.

seicer

Oh, that sop is also against funding libraries too. He's against anything that could be construed as a social good that uses his money (e.g. Medicaid/Medicare, libraries, public schools, etc.).

bandit957

Quote from: seicer on January 06, 2020, 02:07:06 PM
Oh, that sop is also against funding libraries too. He's against anything that could be construed as a social good that uses his money (e.g. Medicaid/Medicare, libraries, public schools, etc.).

Steve Frank is basically useless.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

Nobody around here wants tolls. Some have insisted on exploiting the issue to boost their political goals or economic interests, but the general public is firmly against tolls.

hbelkins

Quote from: bandit957 on January 06, 2020, 02:11:34 PM
Nobody around here wants tolls. Some have insisted on exploiting the issue to boost their political goals or economic interests, but the general public is firmly against tolls.

Then in 20 years, they'll still be complaining about congestion on that bridge. It ain't getting built without tolls.

I laugh at those who freak out and say they're afraid it's going to fall into the river and say that's why it needs to be replaced. It doesn't have any structural issues. It's functionally obsolete but not structurally deficient.

bandit957

At least tolls would work out better than a sales tax increase, especially since it was only the "anti-tax" crowd that supported the tax increase.

Henry

Quote from: hbelkins on January 07, 2020, 11:39:02 AM

Then in 20 years, they'll still be complaining about congestion on that bridge. It ain't getting built without tolls.

I laugh at those who freak out and say they're afraid it's going to fall into the river and say that's why it needs to be replaced. It doesn't have any structural issues. It's functionally obsolete but not structurally deficient.
What about the Cincinnati side? HOT lanes on I-75 would be a good start, and I feel that they should've been included in the ongoing Mill Creek Expressway project.

If KY does not want the tolls, OH should be willing to pick up the tab, especially since they still have the Turnpike on the other side of the state.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Henry on January 07, 2020, 11:48:30 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 07, 2020, 11:39:02 AM

What about the Cincinnati side? HOT lanes on I-75 would be a good start, and I feel that they should've been included in the ongoing Mill Creek Expressway project.

If KY does not want the tolls, OH should be willing to pick up the tab, especially since they still have the Turnpike on the other side of the state.

Ohio isn't required to pick up the tab. None of the Ohio River is part of Ohio, so ODOT isn't going to take the lead on any Ohio River project.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

hbelkins

Quote from: bandit957 on January 07, 2020, 11:44:23 AM
At least tolls would work out better than a sales tax increase, especially since it was only the "anti-tax" crowd that supported the tax increase.

Road funding is dedicated. Sales tax revenues go into the General Fund, not the Road Fund.

Buck87

As for Ohio's share of the cost, here's is how it breaks down on the lastest TRAC funding list (under tier III, and mostly ununded thus far)

I-71/I-75 Bridge PE - $19.6M
Approach work in Ohio - $1.061B
Ohio share of main span - $117.6M

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.