News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Fútbol chatter

Started by mgk920, June 19, 2013, 11:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck87

I was watching most of that game, but had to be somewhere and left while Barcelona was still down 5-4 on aggregate in like the 89th minute. I figured PSG had it made, especially with the away goal advantage....and was a bit shocked when I saw the final result later on.

Bruce

I've booked my first trip to Europe, which is during the international break, but I will still be able to take in two football matches in both England and Germany. AFC Wimbledon and Hertha BSC are both gaining one American supporter for the week.

english si

Quote from: Bruce on March 15, 2017, 02:23:33 PMAFC Wimbledon
Good choice sir. And the fans will be extra buoyant given that just 15 years after they were founded in a pub, they beat Franchise FC in the league last night to go 6 points above them with 9 games to go*. Not bad given AFC Wimbledon had to start at the bottom of the football pyramid, but MK Dons got Wimbledon FC's league position. And a major rebuke to the idea that SW London was less able to support a decent team than Milton Keynes (which could have made its own team and worked their way up, rather than steal somewhere else's) if AFC Wimbledon can make it those last 9 games.

Also, once a Womble, always a Womble. They will gain you for life, even if you are afar (if you ever lapse, you will be reminded to Remember You're a Womble). You'll also like Haydon as he's named after a station (the one near the old Wimbledon FC one that is now used for Greyhound racing) named after a road.

*Presumably you are seeing them later this month, as that's when the next international break is, and there's not another until June (when the domestic season is over) and next season won't have fixture lists so you won't know if AFC Wimbledon are playing. In which case: pint? suggestions for cool stuff for road-and-transit geeks to see in London? both?

CNGL-Leudimin

Much like the March Madness, both the Champions and the Europa leagues are being mocked-up by me. This time no team changes its name, instead there is a twist in the rules: The last who scores wins. Thus, I have a Northern Irish team (Linfield) in the Round of 16 of the Europa League, and I had an Estonian one (Infonet Tallinn, now FCI Tallinn) up to the Round of 32. Last year was even better, with a team from San Marino (Folgore) making it to the group stage of the Champions League.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Bruce

I can really identify with AFC Wimbledon's relocation struggle, given that Seattle lost the Supersonics (NBA) in a similar, brutal fashion.

I'll be in town for the Rochdale United match, and then Hertha-Hoffenheim the same week.

Bruce

The U.S. has risen from the bottom of CONCACAF qualifying to an AFC play-off spot in qualification with a 6-0 win over Honduras. Clint Dempsey with a hat-trick and Christian Pulisic with a ton of assists.

I am so excited.

Bruce

Madrid really put on a clinic that second half. Well deserved repeat.

CNGL-Leudimin

The 2016-17 UEFA Champions League is over... and before this month is over the 2017-18 one will kick-off. It will be back in three and a half weeks, with the first leg of the First Qualifying Round, featuring teams from Northern Ireland, Estonia, Armenia, Faroe Islands, Malta, Wales, Gibraltar, Andorra, San Marino and Kosovo :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

CNGL-Leudimin

So La Liga 2 (Spanish second tier) is over... and SD Huesca is going to play the promotion play-off!!! If they make it through that will mean Real Madrid and Barça (among others) would have to play them.

BTW, using the "last who scores wins" rule, the Champions League winner would have been Bayern, and the Europa League winner would have been Braga (which IRL was out after the group stage)

Bruce

Huge 1-1 draw for the USA down in Mexico City. There's more assurance that the team won't be missing out on the World Cup next year.

Bruce

Second-division USL team FC Cincinnati beat the Chicago Fire (2nd place in MLS Eastern Conference right now) in the U.S. Open Cup last night, in front of 32,000 fans and taking it all the way to penalty kicks. (Full highlights)

https://twitter.com/fccincinnati/status/880239240294129665

Goalkeeper Mitch Hildebrandt made three saves in spectacular fashion.

They go on to play Miami FC, in the second-division NASL, in the next round for a chance to be the first non-MLS semifinalist since 2011.

Cincinnati has been an amazing story so far, with crowds of over 30,000 for most of their regular season matches over the last two years. They're bidding for the next round of MLS expansion, and the league would be stupid to pass them up.

mgk920

I may be dreaming right now, but I am very much thinking about the sports excitement that would be seeping through the Cincinnati area if, in addition to that US Open Cup win, FC Cincinnati could be playing for a promotion spot for MLS.

:nod:

Mike

Bruce

The U.S. are out. For the first time since 1986, they will not be playing in the World Cup.

Burn it all to the ground. That includes Mexico for screwing the U.S. over and not being grateful for their 2014 bailout.

Alps

Quote from: Bruce on October 10, 2017, 10:11:21 PM
The U.S. are out. For the first time since 1986, they will not be playing in the World Cup.

Burn it all to the ground. That includes Mexico for screwing the U.S. over and not being grateful for their 2014 bailout.
No one owes anyone anything. If we lost to Trinidad, we deserve it. I'll support Iceland.

CNGL-Leudimin

However Iceland has made it! The least populated country ever to qualify for a World Cup, it has even less people than any of the host Russian cities. They made it to quarter-finals in the Euro last year.

In other news, I decided to change my parody of overrated teams, and regional football has gave me a surprise, as the team I used to replace Atletico got promoted and now plays in the same league as another that almost matches the one which replaced Barça. They will play against each other in November.

Desert Man

A 2nd major soccer league for North America is a possibility, already 22 (soon 24) in MLS (Major League soccer). My fantasy league is called Super League Soccer with around 20 teams - all in the US, unless El Paso are included in "Mexico".

Current MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER
New York "Cosmos", New York Red Bulls, New England Revolution, Philadelphia Union, (Washington) DC United, Toronto "Canadians" (or "Reds"), Impact du Montreal, Columbus Crew, Atlanta "Five Stripes", Orlando City, Miami Sol, Chicago Fire, Sporting Kansas City, Minnesota "Loons", Dallas "Burn", Houston Dynamo, Colorado Rapids, Real Salt Lake, Los Angeles Galaxy, Los Angeles "Wings", San Jose Earthquakes, Portland Timbers, Seattle Sounders and Vancouver Whitecaps.

Update: Columbus Crew relocates to Austin, Texas...and could be replaced by FC Cincinnati "Kings".
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Bruce

MLS is going to expand to 28 far before a stable 2nd division (either USL with some  NASL ex-pats or an entirely new USSF league) can gain traction. That wipes out a few teams.

Plus, your MLS nicknames don't make much sense or conflict with real ones. The Cosmos brand is never going to be in MLS's hands, as the owners and fanbase hate the league with a burning passion. Toronto is already the "Reds", Minnesota the "Loons", and Atlanta the "Five Stripes". Not to mention you forgot quite a few major 2nd division-ready teams like Cincinnati, Nashville, and Birmingham.

(Also, American teams cannot play for Mexican leagues per FIFA rules. Canadians can compete in MLS because they lack their own 1st division league)

The new USL Division 3 is also starting up in 2019, with plenty of cities interested. And a separate Division 3 league, the NISA, is also planned to begin in 2018 or so.

Once the current round of expansions dies down around 2022 or so, I think the pyramid will look something like this (new teams in bold):

Major League Soccer (Division 1, 28 teams)

Eastern Conference (14): Atlanta United FC, Chicago Fire, FC Cincinnati, Columbus Crew SC (#SavetheCrew), D.C. United, Miami FC, Montreal Impact, Nashville FC, New England Revolution, New York City FC, New York Red Bulls, Orlando City SC, Philadelphia Union, Toronto FC

Western Conference (14): Colorado Rapids, FC Dallas, Houston Dynamo, LA Galaxy, Los Angeles FC, Minnesota United FC, Portland Timbers, Phoenix Rising, Real Salt Lake, San Diego Mission, San Jose Earthquakes, Seattle Sounders FC, Sporting Kansas City, Vancouver Whitecaps

League 2 (Division 2, 20 clubs) - merger of NASL and independent USL clubs

Birmingham, Charleston, Charlotte, Detroit, Edmonton, Hartford, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Las Vegas, New York (Cosmos), New Orleans Oklahoma City, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Raleigh, Rochester, Sacramento, San Antonio, St. Louis, Tampa

USL (Division 3) - plus MLS affiliated teams

Albuquerque, Boise, Chattanooga, Columbia, Dayton, Des Moines, Fayetteville, Fort Wayne, Fresno, Grand Rapids, Knoxville, Lexington, Little Rock, Milwaukee, Omaha, Reno, Richmond

hotdogPi

How about the Denver Omelettes?  :colorful:
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: 1 on October 30, 2017, 10:39:48 PM

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Good one!:D

I wonder if a minor league structure for soccer similar to baseball with AAA-AA-A and Hockey (AHL-ECHL-SPHL) could work?

And will indoor soccer will catch as well? The Milwaukee Wave https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milwaukee_Wave is the oldest soccer team still in operation (created in 1984).

Bruce

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on October 31, 2017, 09:26:20 AM
Quote from: 1 on October 30, 2017, 10:39:48 PM

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Good one!:D

I wonder if a minor league structure for soccer similar to baseball with AAA-AA-A and Hockey (AHL-ECHL-SPHL) could work?

And will indoor soccer will catch as well? The Milwaukee Wave https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milwaukee_Wave is the oldest soccer team still in operation (created in 1984).

*Oldest professional team.

I think indoor soccer is doomed to stay small time, due to the association it has to soccer as an offshoot rather than an independent sport.

I'd rather have some form of promotion-relegation (a hot button issue in U.S. soccer), with hard barriers between the professional system (MLS and 2 top divisions) and the amateur/semi-pro/reserve system (USL/PDL and the like).

Desert Man

Quote from: Bruce on October 30, 2017, 07:49:22 PM
MLS is going to expand to 28 far before a stable 2nd division (either USL with some  NASL ex-pats or an entirely new USSF league) can gain traction. That wipes out a few teams.

Plus, your MLS nicknames don't make much sense or conflict with real ones. The Cosmos brand is never going to be in MLS's hands, as the owners and fanbase hate the league with a burning passion. Toronto is already the "Reds", Minnesota the "Loons", and Atlanta the "Five Stripes". Not to mention you forgot quite a few major 2nd division-ready teams like Cincinnati, Nashville, and Birmingham.

(Also, American teams cannot play for Mexican leagues per FIFA rules. Canadians can compete in MLS because they lack their own 1st division league)

The new USL Division 3 is also starting up in 2019, with plenty of cities interested. And a separate Division 3 league, the NISA, is also planned to begin in 2018 or so.

Once the current round of expansions dies down around 2022 or so, I think the pyramid will look something like this (new teams in bold):

Major League Soccer (Division 1, 28 teams)

Eastern Conference (14): Atlanta United FC, Chicago Fire, FC Cincinnati, Columbus Crew SC (#SavetheCrew), D.C. United, Miami FC, Montreal Impact, Nashville FC, New England Revolution, New York City FC, New York Red Bulls, Orlando City SC, Philadelphia Union, and Toronto FC.

Western Conference (14): Colorado Rapids, FC Dallas, Houston Dynamo, LA Galaxy, Los Angeles FC, Minnesota United FC, Portland Timbers, Phoenix Rising, Real Salt Lake, San Diego Mission, San Jose Earthquakes, Seattle Sounders FC, Sporting Kansas City, and Vancouver Whitecaps.

League 2 (Division 2, 20-22 clubs) - merger of NASL and independent USL clubs

Birmingham, Charleston, Charlotte, Detroit, Edmonton, Hartford, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Las Vegas, Milwaukee Wave (the oldest in existence), New York (Cosmos), New Orleans, New England (Providence, RI-mine), Oklahoma City, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Raleigh, Rochester, Sacramento Republic (mine), San Antonio, St. Louis, Tampa, Tulsa Roughnecks (mine), West Coast Surf in Santa Barbara (mine), West Palm Beach (mine), and Wichita Wild West (mine).

USL (Division 3) - plus MLS affiliated teams

Albuquerque, Boise, Chattanooga, Columbia, Dayton, Des Moines, Fayetteville (Ark & NC teams?), Fort Wayne, Fresno Fuego (mine), Grand Rapids, Knoxville, Lexington, Little Rock, Los Angeles Lancers, San Bernardino Sockers (mine), Madison Dairyland (mine), Omaha, Reno-Nevada Neon (mine), Richmond, Riverside Blues (mine), San Francisco BayHawks (mine), So Cal Sunshine in Anaheim (mine), Temecula Quails (mine), Topeka Whites (mine), Tucson Clash (mine) and Western NY Wolfpack (mine)-not sure in Buffalo or Syracuse. There is a Rochester Rhinos team in division 2.

Oh, the other NYC team can't be "Cosmos". How about "Empire" as in the empire state? Just a name suggestion they can try. I believe Nebraska (Lincoln-can be the Federals) had a soccer team in the 1980s. And so did Provo, Utah (the Strikers?) in the same decade in the Brigham Young University coliseum. I guess Atlanta is the Stripes, may Nashville be the South Stars?
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

CNGL-Leudimin

In the vein of those "A lost to B!" college American football threads, now I present: Real Zaragoza lost to SD Huesca!!! :bigass:

Bruce

The MLS Cup Playoffs have passed the Conference Semifinals (quarterfinals) stage...and will take a two-week break for international callups.

The final four this year are interesting.

In the East, it's Toronto (1st place) vs. Columbus (5th). Toronto, having lost the MLS Cup at home to Seattle last year, have glided their way to the top of the league, finishing with a league record 69 points and looking nigh unstoppable. Columbus, meanwhile, squeaked in and fought amid their owner's attempt to move the team to Austin. It would be incredibly awkward for the league's office if their defending champions were greeted to empty stands in Ohio AND Texas, so they've attracted a lot of support.

In the West, it's Seattle (2nd) vs. Houston (4th). Seattle, the defending champions who quietly had a good season led by a strict defense, are looking to repeat and maybe score a goal this time (they took 0 shots during the 120-minute MLS Cup thriller last year, so fingers crossed). They are lead by their former assistant coach, who was promoted in place of their long-time coach last July and led them to the cup. Houston, meanwhile, dumped their long-time coach and has been enjoying a surprising amount of success on the field. They overcame a hostile crowd in Portland (albeit against a half-dead team) while missing a few starters.

The Conference Finals are two legs, with games on November 21 (Toronto at Columbus; Seattle at Houston), November 29 (Columbus at Toronto), and November 30 (Houston at Seattle). The MLS Cup final, to take place on December 9, will be hosted by the winners of the East, as both Toronto and Columbus finished higher overall than Seattle and Houston.

Desert Man

Quote from: Desert Man on October 30, 2017, 01:12:02 PM
Modified -
A 4th pro soccer league for North America is a possibility, already 22 (soon 24) in MLS (Major League soccer). My fantasy league is called Super League Soccer with around 20 teams - all in the US, unless El Paso are included in "Mexico".

AMERICAN CONFERENCE
WESTERN DIVISION
El Paso Aztex, San Antonio Tejanos, Fort Worth Sidekicks, Tacoma Stars, and Spokane Sports.

NORTHERN DIVISION
Iowa City or Quad City Pros, Saint Paul Capitals, new Columbus Crew, Cleveland Crunch, and Detroit Safari.

NATIONAL CONFERENCE
SOUTHERN DIVISION
Tampa Bay (St. Petersburg) Rowdies, Fort Lauderdale Fusion, Mobile (AL) Bucs, Memphis Rogues, and Shreveport Champs.

EASTERN DIVISION
New Jersey (Newark) Metropolis, Harrisburg (PA) Heat, Virginia Beach Mutiny, Northern Virginia (Arlington) Fury, and Maryland (Baltimore) Bays. 

Current MAJOR LEAGUE SOCCER
New York "Cosmos", New York Red Bulls, New England Revolution, Philadelphia Union, (Washington) DC United, Toronto "Canadians" (or "Reds"), Impact du Montreal, Columbus Crew, Atlanta "Five Stripes", Orlando City, Miami Sol, Chicago Fire, Sporting Kansas City, Minnesota "Loons", Dallas "Burn", Houston Dynamo, Colorado Rapids, Real Salt Lake, Los Angeles Galaxy, Los Angeles "Wings", San Jose Earthquakes, Portland Timbers, Seattle Sounders and Vancouver Whitecaps.

Update: Columbus Crew relocates to Austin, Texas...and could be replaced by FC Cincinnati "Kings".

The USL (division 3) has 30 teams, two more than MLS proposed 28. My additions to division 2 (to make it from 24-30 teams):
Another team in New York City (Brooklyn) "Bridge", Chicago "Winds" and Los Angeles "Olympians" each, Mesa "Saints" in division 2, Virginia Beach or Norfolk "Colony" and Winnipeg "Winning".

Also you mentioned the USL can put a team each in Mesa and Tucson to even the number of teams in the league, but this is a fantasy I have. I don't know if Provo "Strikers" and Lincoln "Federals" are division 3 (again, a fantasy). I guess Buffalo and Syracuse NY can have their own- the Syracuse "Upstate" differ from the Western NY Wolfpack in Buffalo. And again, a team in Los Angeles: the Lancers, and the San Fernando Valley "Suburbia" (part of L.A. city limits). L.A. used to have the Chivas USA in Major League Soccer using the namesake of a Mexican professional soccer team based in the Mexican state of Jalisco. I wonder if the Chivas itself from Mexico play preseason or exhibition games in L.A.   

Bruce

Chivas USA was owned by Chivas. The parent team played exhibitions in Los Angeles a few times, including a doubleheader with Chivas USA that got 92,500 people to "attend" an MLS match (tickets sold for both games). Overall, it was a failure due to the lack of real marketing to the right demographics, abysmal on-field performances, and general racism from the organization towards non-Latinos.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.