Phoenix area logo sign installation tracking thread

Started by Pink Jazz, August 14, 2014, 03:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

I believe that services logo signs should be installed even in urban areas.  Any business within a certain radius of the exit (2 miles rural, 1 mile urban) should be allowed to advertise on the sign if they are  gas, food, or lodging.  These are really helpful and it's nice that Phoenix is incorporating this in an urban area.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: mrsman on October 13, 2014, 08:31:59 AM
I believe that services logo signs should be installed even in urban areas.  Any business within a certain radius of the exit (2 miles rural, 1 mile urban) should be allowed to advertise on the sign if they are  gas, food, or lodging.  These are really helpful and it's nice that Phoenix is incorporating this in an urban area.

Thank you for understanding their benefits in urban areas.  In addition, attractions, camping, and 24-hour pharmacies should also be allowed to advertise as long as there is adequate spacing between exits (although the chances of there being campgrounds in urban areas are generally pretty slim).

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Pink Jazz on October 10, 2014, 10:41:34 PM
Quote from: NE2 on October 10, 2014, 10:40:19 PM
Signs should not be an extortionate revenue generator.

Why not.  It costs taxpayers little to nothing, and can pay for highway improvements.  Would you prefer higher fuel taxes instead?

If you're going to counter this, you may at least want to say that you're not defending extortion, which is what this response implies.

I don't have strong opinions on them, but the level of repudiation of dissent here is a little ridiculous.

Are they priced fairly so that mom-and-pop places have as much chance to take part in the state-subsidized advertising as Macaroni Grill does? 

I know someone who runs the only available food service at a rural exit, but traffic dries up at night, making it uneconomical for them to stay open past the evening.  Therefore, they can't get on the logo sign, whose rules require being open until 9 or so.  So nobody wins. 

Pink Jazz

Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 13, 2014, 03:32:51 PM

Why not.  It costs taxpayers little to nothing, and can pay for highway improvements.  Would you prefer higher fuel taxes instead?

If you're going to counter this, you may at least want to say that you're not defending extortion, which is what this response implies.

I don't have strong opinions on them, but the level of repudiation of dissent here is a little ridiculous.

Are they priced fairly so that mom-and-pop places have as much chance to take part in the state-subsidized advertising as Macaroni Grill does? 

I know someone who runs the only available food service at a rural exit, but traffic dries up at night, making it uneconomical for them to stay open past the evening.  Therefore, they can't get on the logo sign, whose rules require being open until 9 or so.  So nobody wins.

I see plenty of local restaurants on logo signs, not just national chain restaurants.

mrsman

Quote from: Pink Jazz on October 13, 2014, 03:59:01 PM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on October 13, 2014, 03:32:51 PM

I see plenty of local restaurants on logo signs, not just national chain restaurants.

Yes, there should be some standards as to the operating hours.  And in my book, requiring being open till 9 pm isn't that onerous, as it serves a wide range of travelers.

(If the requirement is 24 hours, I'd say that's onerous, but if the requirements are only till 9pm, or even until 12 midnight, then I'd say that it's an acceptable objective standard.)

And I would also require open 7 days.  So ... no Chick-Fil-A on the signs.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: mrsman on October 18, 2014, 10:06:45 PM

Chick-Fil-A puts a yellow banner on the bottom of their logo panels saying "Closed Sundays" to make it clear to motorists.

mrsman

Quote from: Pink Jazz on October 18, 2014, 11:55:46 PM

Chick-Fil-A puts a yellow banner on the bottom of their logo panels saying "Closed Sundays" to make it clear to motorists.

So then the logo signs should be open to all businesses, even if they close early, so long as motorists are informed.

roadfro

Yes, there should be some standards as to the operating hours.  And in my book, requiring being open till 9 pm isn't that onerous, as it serves a wide range of travelers.

(If the requirement is 24 hours, I'd say that's onerous, but if the requirements are only till 9pm, or even until 12 midnight, then I'd say that it's an acceptable objective standard.)

MUTCD's guidance isn't quite as strenuous as you'd like... For food and other logo signs:
Quote from: MUTCD - Chapter 2J: Specific Service Signs, Section 2J.01 Eligibility
Guidance:
10 If State or local agencies elect to provide Specific Service signing, there should be a statewide policy for such signing and criteria for the availability of the various types of services. The criteria should consider the following:

To qualify for a GAS logo sign panel, a business should have:
        Vehicle services including gas and/or alternative fuels, oil, and water;
        Continuous operation at least 16 hours per day, 7 days per week for freeways and expressways, and continuous operation at least 12 hours per day, 7 days per week for conventional roads;
        Modern sanitary facilities and drinking water; and
        Public telephone.
    To qualify for a FOOD logo sign panel, a business should have:
        Licensing or approval, where required;
        Continuous operations to serve at least two meals per day, at least 6 days per week;
        Modern sanitary facilities; and
        Public telephone.
    To qualify for a LODGING logo sign panel, a business should have:
        Adequate sleeping accommodations;
        Modern sanitary facilities; and
        Public telephone.
    To qualify for a CAMPING logo sign panel, a business should have:
        Adequate parking accommodations; and
        Modern sanitary facilities and drinking water.
    To qualify for an ATTRACTION logo sign panel, a facility should have:
        Regional significance, in compliance with the provisions of Paragraph 6; and
        Adequate parking accommodations.

Standard:
11 If State or local agencies elect to provide Specific Service signing for pharmacies, both of the following criteria shall be met for a pharmacy to qualify for signing:

The pharmacy shall be continuously operated 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, and shall have a State-licensed pharmacist present and on duty at all times; and
    The pharmacy shall be located within 3 miles of an interchange on the Federal-aid system.

Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

andy3175

Quote from: roadfro on October 20, 2014, 04:17:33 AM
Standard:
11 If State or local agencies elect to provide Specific Service signing for pharmacies, both of the following criteria shall be met for a pharmacy to qualify for signing:

The pharmacy shall be continuously operated 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, and shall have a State-licensed pharmacist present and on duty at all times; and
    The pharmacy shall be located within 3 miles of an interchange on the Federal-aid system.
[/size]

I live in an urban area, and while I can name some drug and convenience stores open 24 hours, I cannot name a pharmacy counter that operates 24/7. Are they referring to a drug store (such as CVS, Rite Aid, etc.) or are they referring to the pharmacy counter located within the store? If they mean the drug store, that means they are defining the pharmacy to be a drug store that has a pharmacy counter (that is likely not open all night)? I know it's an odd distinction, but I think one's that worthwhile for traveling public looking for medical advice even for over-the-counter medications available at a typical drug store.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Brandon

Quote from: andy3175 on October 20, 2014, 10:05:07 AM
Standard:

[/size]

I live in an urban area, and while I can name some drug and convenience stores open 24 hours, I cannot name a pharmacy counter that operates 24/7. Are they referring to a drug store (such as CVS, Rite Aid, etc.) or are they referring to the pharmacy counter located within the store? If they mean the drug store, that means they are defining the pharmacy to be a drug store that has a pharmacy counter (that is likely not open all night)? I know it's an odd distinction, but I think one's that worthwhile for traveling public looking for medical advice even for over-the-counter medications available at a typical drug store.

If it is a state-licensed pharmacist, they are talking about the pharmacy counter.

I can name a few in my town open 24/7: (2 Walgreens, 1 Osco), and a few more nearby (mostly Walgreens).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Pink Jazz

Interestingly, GCSLS hasn't updated their map with locations in a while.  I have spotted some installations that are not on their map yet, including Loop 101 and Glendale Avenue, and more recently at I-10 and Avondale Boulevard, as well as I-10 and 99th Avenue in the eastbound direction.  There are probably some others that I missed.

Now the urban logo signs in the west side seem to tie in with all the rural logo signs (which are from Dysart Road at the Avondale/Goodyear line west to the California border) with no clear boundary, since most exits on I-10 from 43rd Avenue westward now have logo signs installed.  However, the rural logo signs are older and some of the logos are a bit faded, and also most of the rural logo signs do not feature an exit tab unless it contains more than one service type.  However, I have seen some logo signs in the rural areas that simply have the generic category "SERVICES" instead of being divided into multiple service types.

I-17 is now complete, and it appears that I-10 is almost done.  Loop 101 is also mostly complete except on the portion from Loop 202 to the Red Mountain Freeway, which won't be installed until 2016 due to the widening project.  I think Loop 202 and SR 51 should begin sometime this month, and should continue through mid-2015, although the Red Mountain Freeway portion in western Mesa won't be complete until at least around late 2015 (around the same time as the US 60 Superstition Freeway).

mrsman

Quote from: Brandon on October 20, 2014, 01:07:03 PM
Quote from: andy3175 on October 20, 2014, 10:05:07 AM
Standard:

[/size]

If it is a state-licensed pharmacist, they are talking about the pharmacy counter.

I can name a few in my town open 24/7: (2 Walgreens, 1 Osco), and a few more nearby (mostly Walgreens).

It's interesting to me how strenuous the requirement for signing pharmacies is.  We allow gas stations with only 16 hours of operation, when that is a basic need for driving, yet pharmacies require 24 hour operation.

And I wonder whether grocery stores can be put on these signs as well. 

To be honest, I would usually prefer to buy healthy food like fruit from a grocery store then eat fast food on road trips.  It would be nice to know if there was a grocery nearby.

It's interesting that these rules come from the MUTCD.  Some states make their own supplements to the MUTCD (like CALIF).  Perhaps if Arizona wanted different standards for what types of businesses come up on the logo sign, they should just have their own supplement.

roadfro

Quote from: mrsman on October 21, 2014, 12:01:11 AM
It's interesting that these rules come from the MUTCD.  Some states make their own supplements to the MUTCD (like CALIF).  Perhaps if Arizona wanted different standards for what types of businesses come up on the logo sign, they should just have their own supplement.

Note that, with the exception of the pharmacy signs, these are MUTCD recommended practices. Elsewhere it is stated that the state should develop it's own guidelines for logo sign programs.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Pink Jazz

The map on the GCSLS website has just been updated.  I edited one of my previous posts with all the exits where logo signs have been installed last month.  Quite a few were added on Loop 101.

blanketcomputer

I saw a logo board on Loop 202 (Red Mountain) at Higley Rd.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: blanketcomputer on November 02, 2014, 09:09:45 AM
I saw a logo board on Loop 202 (Red Mountain) at Higley Rd.

Cool, looks like ADOT has just started Loop 202.  Still none on the SanTan Freeway, though.  However, installation of logo signs the Red Mountain Freeway in west Mesa (from Loop 101 to around Gilbert Road) won't start until the second half of 2015 (which is around the same time that installation will begin on the US 60 Superstition Freeway).  I can't wait until I see logo signs on the SanTan Freeway.

blanketcomputer

Quote from: Pink Jazz on November 02, 2014, 12:43:29 PM
Cool, looks like ADOT has just started Loop 202.  Still none on the SanTan Freeway, though.  However, installation of logo signs the Red Mountain Freeway in west Mesa (from Loop 101 to around Gilbert Road) won't start until the second half of 2015 (which is around the same time that installation will begin on the US 60 Superstition Freeway).  I can't wait until I see logo signs on the SanTan Freeway.

Yeah, it makes sense the Red Mountain Freeway won't have its signs fully installed until after its current widening project. The Superstition Freeway has had a few logo signs east of the SuperRedTan interchange for a few years now. Were these installed in the past because the east Mesa/Apache Junction area was considered rural at the time?

Pink Jazz

Quote from: blanketcomputer on November 02, 2014, 02:25:14 PM

Yeah, it makes sense the Red Mountain Freeway won't have its signs fully installed until after its current widening project. The Superstition Freeway has had a few logo signs east of the SuperRedTan interchange for a few years now. Were these installed in the past because the east Mesa/Apache Junction area was considered rural at the time?

Yep, east Mesa/Apache Junction was considered rural at the time of installation, and I believe still might be.  The same goes with I-10 in Goodyear and Buckeye, and I-17 north of Loop 303 in Phoenix.

Note that the Flagstaff and Yuma areas are eventually planned to be migrated over to the urban program in terms of sign specifications and pricing after buildout in the Phoenix and Tucson areas is complete.

Now I wonder if the Gateway Freeway (SR 24) is extended past Ellsworth, will logo signs be installed on that freeway?

BTW, I expect the South Mountain Freeway will have logo signs from the start.

Scott5114

The problem with logo signs in an urban area is that the signs greatly contribute to message loading and can overwhelm the driver. In a rural area, exits are generally at least 1 mi apart, giving you lots of room to interleave the logo signs with advance destination signage. In urban areas, that's usually not possible. Imagine sticking logo signs on Mile 51 of I-94 in Chicago. Yeah.

And even when you don't have closely spaced exits, urban area exits are more likely to have more important destinations than services. As a case study, lets look at the sequence of guide signs on I-35 North as you approach Exit 218 in Olathe, Kansas:

*Exit 218-Santa Fe, 2¼ miles
*[entrance ramp]
*Assurance (I-35/US-50/US-56/US-169)
*Attractions/Lodging
*Historic Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop/Deaf Cultural Center/Travel Info
*Food
*Santa Fe (1 mile)/119th Street/I-435/US-169 (median signage)
*(more) Food/Gas
*[entrance ramp]
*Assurance (I-35/US-50/US-56)
*Exit 218 - Santa Fe, Exit Only
*MidAmerica Nazarene University/Kansas State School for the Deaf
*Exit direction sign

That's four supplemental destinations and three logo signs. As a result, the only true advance signage for the exit itself is 2¼ miles(!) away from the exit. We do kind of get a 1-mile advance destination sign in the form of a median next-three-exits sign, but there's no standalone 1-mile advance sign. Notably, there are two entrance ramps along this stretch of road, both of which join after the 2¼ mile sign, and one of them (from the Old Hwy 56 partial interchange) falls less than a mile away from the exit. Their only notification of Exit 218 comes in the form of an Exit Only sign!

KDOT could not add more advance mileage signs on this stretch of highway because of the risk of message overloading. If the three logo signs were gone there would be a little more room to fit in guide signs. I would like to elaborate further on this example, but as I type the Logo Sign Opinion Police are at my door and I am shortly to be led away in handcuffs, and I'd like to take a moment to comb my hair so my mug shot comes out decent-looking. Ciao!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

mtantillo

MUTCD requirements for 24 hour pharmacies are stringent because DOTs don't want them installed. Some national pharmacy chains got Congress to override FHWA on the issue, so FHWA wants to limit their use. As far as I know there is only one state that uses them. A second state had them but participation was so low that they stopped. All it really was meant to be by the pharmacy companies is free advertising, as opposed to random travelers entering the store at 2AM with a prescription to be filled.

As for MUTCD's suggestion of requirements for food establishments only needing to be open 6 days a week, Chick-Fil-A is entirely responsible for that. They submitted lots of comments in favor of that change during the rule making process. And if a state decides to be stricter than what the MUTCD suggests, and tries to require 7 day service, you better believe Chick-Fil-A will get a call into the Governor's office to get the DOT overruled.

Most logo sign programs are privately run by a company called Interstate Logos (that has a subsidiary in each state...Virginia Logos, Iowa Logos, etc.). I serve on a technical committee with the President of Intrrstate Logos, he's a really nice guy who knows a ton about the logistics and economics of these programs.

In Virginia, the program is not allowed to be profitable. If the program has a surplus, money is refunded to participants. But participants must pay the operating costs of the program, as taxpayers should not be paying for private company logos to appear on signs. The most you get at taxpayer expense is a gas pump logo on a general service sign.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: mtantillo on November 13, 2014, 11:29:09 PM
MUTCD requirements for 24 hour pharmacies are stringent because DOTs don't want them installed. Some national pharmacy chains got Congress to override FHWA on the issue, so FHWA wants to limit their use. As far as I know there is only one state that uses them. A second state had them but participation was so low that they stopped. All it really was meant to be by the pharmacy companies is free advertising, as opposed to random travelers entering the store at 2AM with a prescription to be filled.

Arizona actually allows 24-hour pharmacies in its urban logo sign program, however, there is yet to be even one 24-hour pharmacy that has signed on.  So far, only food, gas, and lodging businesses have signed on to the urban logo sign program, however, I have heard there was supposed to be an attraction that was supposed to have a logo sign installed on Loop 101, replacing an existing brown sign.  The lack of camping businesses though is fairly understandable, since most campgrounds are located in rural areas.

exit10

When we're talking about "rural" and "urban," there needs to be a clearer distinction. I have no issue with logo signs in suburban areas with substantial populations that direct motorists to strip malls and the like with free parking and easy access.

However, there are logo signs at Exit 3 (Neil Ave.) on I-670 in Columbus -- i.e. not a long-distance route -- that advertise restaurants in the densely packed Arena District. Those are a highly suspect money grab and should absolutely not be allowed.

mrsman

Quote from: mtantillo on November 13, 2014, 11:29:09 PM

As for MUTCD's suggestion of requirements for food establishments only needing to be open 6 days a week, Chick-Fil-A is entirely responsible for that. They submitted lots of comments in favor of that change during the rule making process. And if a state decides to be stricter than what the MUTCD suggests, and tries to require 7 day service, you better believe Chick-Fil-A will get a call into the Governor's office to get the DOT overruled.

Most logo sign programs are privately run by a company called Interstate Logos (that has a subsidiary in each state...Virginia Logos, Iowa Logos, etc.). I serve on a technical committee with the President of Intrrstate Logos, he's a really nice guy who knows a ton about the logistics and economics of these programs.

In Virginia, the program is not allowed to be profitable. If the program has a surplus, money is refunded to participants. But participants must pay the operating costs of the program, as taxpayers should not be paying for private company logos to appear on signs. The most you get at taxpayer expense is a gas pump logo on a general service sign.

I'm glad that these signs are generally paid for by the businesses.  THey are cheap advertising.

In my view, they should be used for services that help the motoring public.  Pharmacies and groceries do help many people and should be included.  Restaurants in areas without plentiful parking are not helpful.  Motel 6 and Best Western are helpful, Four Seasons and Westin not so helpful.

Pink Jazz

Monthly update - October / November 2014

The GCSLS website has finally been updated, and there are several logo signs that have been added.  Note that since it was updated today, I don't know which signs were installed in October or November.  The first signs have been installed on the Loop 202 Red Mountain Freeway.

• Loop 202 Red Mountain and 40th/44th Street
  • Loop 202 Red Mountain and Priest Drive (Eastbound only.  Also first ATTRACTION sign for the urban program)
  • Loop 202 Red Mountain and Scottsdale Road
  • Loop 202 Red Mountain and Higley Road
  • Loop 202 Red Mountain and Recker Road
  • Loop 202 Red Mountain and McKellips Road (Exit 24)
  • Loop 202 Red Mountain and University Drive

Post Merge: August 07, 2016, 01:21:25 PM

Monthly Update - December 2014

As per GCSLS website.

• Loop 101 and Princess Drive (northbound only)

blanketcomputer

It seems like a good number of the signs so far only have QuikTrip on them. If a company signs up today, how long would they have to wait to be added to a sign?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.