News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

OK: Kilpatrick Tpk extension?

Started by Stephane Dumas, September 07, 2009, 10:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

I saw on aerial shots of Google maps then OK-4 is 4-laned south of Mustang, is there some plans to upgrade OK-4 between I-40 and I-44 as a "connector" to link the Kirkpatrick tpk with the Norman spur?

Scott5114

Oklahoma DOT maintains a set of maps on their website called the "Control Section Maps", which are to ODOT like the Straight Line Diagrams are to NJDOT–they are the highway system "bible" which is the definitive source of what is and isn't a state highway, as well as providing insight as to what ODOT plans to do next. That said, the Kilpatrick Turnpike is run by OTA, a separate agency, but one assumes the two communicate and thus what's in the CSM books are accurate.

So, consulting the Canadian County maps, we see:

The Kilpatrick Turnpike is the brown arrow hugging the Canadian—Oklahoma county line. As you can see here there is a dashed arrow heading south from the current terminus which then cuts east into Oklahoma County. This is a Projected & Surveyed (P&S) control section.

Moving into Oklahoma County, we see:

But then there's nothing shown in Cleveland County to continue it. So who knows where the thing is going to end up. Connecting back up with I-35 will be a real chore...they'll either have to run it due south and cross the Canadian River further downstream from the OK-4 crossing and cut diagonally into Grady County to meet up with OK-4 somehow, or else make a hard west turn to reunite with OK-4 earlier to use its river crossing. Or maybe they won't tie the Norman Spur into it at all, and attempt to link up with I-35 in between Norman and Moore (around Indian Hill Road is the only stretch of I-35 in Cleveland County that's not all built up, and they better move fast if that's what they want to do.

(Maps © Oklahoma DOT and are only included here for commentary, thus falling under fair use guidelines.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.