News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on April 05, 2024, 05:24:14 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 04, 2024, 08:41:10 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on April 04, 2024, 08:37:48 PMI saw then MA-116 bypass partially the town of Amherst and that bypass ended at MA-9. Did MASS Dot have some plans to extent that bypass once and being cancelled by Nimbys and/or lack of funds?

No.

IIRC, the MA-116 bypass was actually constructed before the anti-highway backlash of the late-1960s, I think even before UMass's massive expansion. So if MassDOT actually had expansion plans, they could have done so with impunity.

Meh.  It was built to try to get UMass traffic to quit clogging up University Drive and downtown Amherst by providing another way into campus.  Still mixed results on that one, especially with the parclo. 
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: Rothman on April 05, 2024, 05:26:35 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on April 05, 2024, 05:24:14 PM
Quote from: Rothman on April 04, 2024, 08:41:10 PM
Quote from: Stephane Dumas on April 04, 2024, 08:37:48 PMI saw then MA-116 bypass partially the town of Amherst and that bypass ended at MA-9. Did MASS Dot have some plans to extent that bypass once and being cancelled by Nimbys and/or lack of funds?

No.

IIRC, the MA-116 bypass was actually constructed before the anti-highway backlash of the late-1960s, I think even before UMass's massive expansion. So if MassDOT actually had expansion plans, they could have done so with impunity.

Meh.  It was built to try to get UMass traffic to quit clogging up University Drive and downtown Amherst by providing another way into campus.  Still mixed results on that one, especially with the parclo. 

Indeed. As a UMass alum, I always found the 116 didn't really prevent congestion in and around Amherst and even on MA-9. Knowing the back roads in Hadley and Amherst were key to getting around, especially during moving days and big events.

Rothman

The 116? :D

But yeah, everyone knows the Rocky Hill route.

At least the Coolidge Bridge isn't the bottleneck it used to be and Route 9 has more lanes between it and Hadley Center.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SectorZ

https://www.wcvb.com/article/massdot-secretary-considering-tolls-at-new-hampshire-border/60556491

This one can speak for itself. You can also find other stories that contain her full rant on other things that came across as pretty extremist and offensive that are also road-related.

hotdogPi

All of those have easy alternate routes...

Although that will just make them even more congested, given that they're full of businesses for people avoiding paying sales tax. Is everyone going to take 125 then?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

SectorZ

Quote from: hotdogPi on April 21, 2024, 08:35:35 AMAll of those have easy alternate routes...

Although that will just make them even more congested, given that they're full of businesses for people avoiding paying sales tax. Is everyone going to take 125 then?

Feel free to carry the water for the nuts in this state then.

fwydriver405

I feel like this has been talked to death several times on the New Hampshire side for several years, especially when the I-93 Salem-Manchester widening project was in its early phases. This was in 2010 and NHDOT proposed a $2 toll on I-93 about 1 mile from the NH/MA border. Salem residents were against the idea citing increased traffic onto local roads, hurting the local economy and jeopardising NH's sales tax advantage. Even some Methuen residents were opposed citing the increased traffic on local roads too.

WMUR Youtube links:
NH Studies Possibility Of I-93 Tolls
Salem Residents Say No To I-93 Tolls

I think a similar proposal was considered on the Everett Turnpike somewhere between Exits 1-2 when it got widened in the 90s, but I'm not 100% sure how true these claims are.

pderocco

I wonder if one could successfully make a constitutional argument against such a toll. This is really a kind of interstate tariff, which is prohibited. You can charge a toll to use a particular costly resource, but you shouldn't be able to charge a toll merely for crossing a line.

hotdogPi

Observations from Whitman/Brockton:

Pansexual flag, although upside-down for some reason.
Pansexual flag, Whitman, MA by David Raucci, on Flickr

Historical stone marker. B = Brockton, W (other side) = Whitman.
Whitman/Brockton (MA) stone town line marker by David Raucci, on Flickr

Old wooden sign at the junction of MA 123 and Quincy St. The other side says the same thing without a missing corner.
Old sign at MA 123/Quincy St. junction by David Raucci, on Flickr

Antique car that somehow is active (in a regular parking lot surrounded by current cars) despite its 1986 registration sticker.
Old Rover 2000 by David Raucci, on Flickr

Observations without photos:
  • All the businesses are English only. I see many bilingual business signs in Lawrence (Spanish) and a certain section of Everett and Malden (Portuguese), as well as some of Lowell (language depends on which part of the city), but Brockton seems to be English-only. This is despite seeing two Brazilian restaurants on my 6-mile walk.
  • At least from the east, MA 28 is not signed from MA 27 or MA 123. MA 28 does have at least one reassurance shield in that stretch, though. 27 and 123 are signed just fine.
  • The intersection of MA 18 and MA 14 has a place called the Toll House Inn. I assume this is from MA 18 being a 19th-century turnpike? It's definitely straight enough.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

bob7374

Quote from: hotdogPi on April 22, 2024, 09:18:36 AMObservations without photos:
  • All the businesses are English only. I see many bilingual business signs in Lawrence (Spanish) and a certain section of Everett and Malden (Portuguese), as well as some of Lowell (language depends on which part of the city), but Brockton seems to be English-only. This is despite seeing two Brazilian restaurants on my 6-mile walk.
  • At least from the east, MA 28 is not signed from MA 27 or MA 123. MA 28 does have at least one reassurance shield in that stretch, though. 27 and 123 are signed just fine.
  • The intersection of MA 18 and MA 14 has a place called the Toll House Inn. I assume this is from MA 18 being a 19th-century turnpike? It's definitely straight enough.

The Toll House Inn was the namesake for the Toll House chocolate chip cookie, which was invented there. I remember going there prior to its closure. It's too bad the Wendy's on the site does not serve them.

bjcolby50

The Ghostbuster

What does Governor Sequential (Sununu) have to say about the proposal?

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 22, 2024, 09:27:22 PMWhat does Governor Sequential (Sununu) have to say about the proposal?

I'd imagine he'd be vociferously opposed to it.

SectorZ

RobbieL2415

I'm assuming they are referring to putting them up on US 3, since it becomes the Everett Turnpike, which is already tolled.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.