News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Windows 10 to be Released July 29 2015

Started by SteveG1988, January 26, 2015, 07:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catch22

Quote from: DeaconG on July 12, 2015, 02:44:24 PM
Quote from: Stratuscaster on July 09, 2015, 10:44:34 PM
I believe that is correct in regards to Access.

You have to get the Professional version of Office to get Access.

Access is also included with the subscription-based Office 365 Home and Personal editions.

iBallasticwolf2

I have reserved my copy of Windows 10 Home on both of my computers that run Windows 8.1. I agree with some of the other users about waiting to update so I can see initial feedback and some bugs ironed out. I am excited about the new start menu instead of a slow 3rd party one or the crap they put in 8.1 as a "Start Menu".
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

on_wisconsin

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Thing 342

I upgraded my Surface 3 this morning. It was relatively painless, however I'll have to retrain my brain away from the split-desktop metaphor 8.1 had me in.

intelati49

Quote from: Thing 342 on July 29, 2015, 01:34:14 PM
I upgraded my Surface 3 this morning. It was relatively painless, however I'll have to retrain my brain away from the split-desktop metaphor 8.1 had me in.

Thankfully I was able to isolate each of the kinds by immediately installing all the apps... I don't miss the apps at all. I hated them immediately after I installed Win 8.

But Win10 is great. I installed the Preview about two weeks ago and have nothing but good to say. Very much Win 7 to Vista.

iBallasticwolf2

I am currently downloading Windows 10 onto a DVD. I hope it is good.

Roadsguy

I've got my DVD burned and ready to go! If all goes well this will be the last thing I ever post from Windows 7...
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Roadsguy on July 29, 2015, 04:12:25 PM
I've got my DVD burned and ready to go! If all goes well this will be the last thing I ever post from Windows 7...

I've tried getting my DVD to burn it and it did burn an ISO file. I could not get it to work and now I am downloading it directly on my PC. You had better luck then me.

slorydn1

Let me know how it all works out, PC/laptop users.

I fully expect that mine should be downloaded and waiting for me when I get home in the morning, but I am still not going to deploy it until y'all give it the thumbs up.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

D-Dey65

If they force it on me, it had better not take away any more of what I lost from Windows 8.1. I need the ability to rip CD's and save video images from Netflix and Amazon.com returned to me!!

1995hoo

If you're a Windows 8 or 8.1 user, please let us know how it compares. I don't plan to upgrade my Windows 7 desktop, but my wife's laptop runs 8 or 8.1, I forget which, and she doesn't like it even with the Classic Shell add-on.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadsguy

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 29, 2015, 05:02:41 PM

I've tried getting my DVD to burn it and it did burn an ISO file. I could not get it to work and now I am downloading it directly on my PC. You had better luck then me.

Well, I can only do the in-place upgrade from within Windows 7 by running the disc. Booting directly to the disc, though, only seems to work for a clean install, which I didn't do because I don't think I'd be able to activate it then.

I do have 10 set up now, and it's working pretty well. Can't wait for Glass8 to update though.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

spooky

Quote from: Roadsguy on July 30, 2015, 10:37:31 AM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on July 29, 2015, 05:02:41 PM

Well, I can only do the in-place upgrade from within Windows 7 by running the disc. Booting directly to the disc, though, only seems to work for a clean install, which I didn't do because I don't think I'd be able to activate it then.

I do have 10 set up now, and it's working pretty well. Can't wait for Glass8 to update though.

Once you activate it with the upgrade, you could do a clean install with the same media...or so I have read.

Thing 342

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 30, 2015, 09:21:37 AM
If you're a Windows 8 or 8.1 user, please let us know how it compares. I don't plan to upgrade my Windows 7 desktop, but my wife's laptop runs 8 or 8.1, I forget which, and she doesn't like it even with the Classic Shell add-on.
I upgraded a Surface 3 and a mid-range Dell desktop from 8.1 to 10. A definite improvement over 8.x, IMO. 10 fixes a major annoyance I had with 8.1 in that now desktop apps and touch-friendly (aka Modern) apps now live in the same space, instead of being hidden in an obtuse smartphone-style app switcher, with the desktop being considered a separate "app".

However, if your wife doesn't like 8.x even with Classic Shell, I suspect that she won't like 10 simply because the Start menu in 10 doesn't work in exactly the same manner as it did in 7.

Zeffy

I didn't plan on upgrading to 10. However, my PC recently became corrupted by a failed Windows Update that made my OS unstable, so I jumped ship from 7. There were a lot of problems with 7 and Windows Update. I just spent the past 7 hours installing 7 again to fix my update issues (because 10 wouldn't install), then another 4-5 installing all of the updates to get 10, and now I am finally able to use my computer again without exploding. So far I'm enjoying Windows 10.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Thing 342

Ran into my first hiccup with Win10 today. While browsing Google Photos in Chrome, my Surface 3 decided to lock up and become completely unresponsive, requiring me to hard reset it.

Zeffy

Microsoft's Edge browser is actually really nice. It's smooth and very responsive and fast which I like. LastPass doesn't work with it though yet, so I have to switch to Internet Explorer again so I don't have to remember all my passwords.

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jakeroot

The Creative Cloud programs (from Adobe) experience some graphical issues, such as offset shadows and missing separator lines (for example, the black bars separating each individual swatch in Illustrator and Photoshop are missing).

Not a fan of the reflective shiny "Windows" logo behind the password-entry screen. Should be a solid color like before.

Quote from: Zeffy on August 01, 2015, 10:59:28 PM
Microsoft's Edge browser is actually really nice. It's smooth and very responsive and fast which I like. LastPass doesn't work with it though yet, so I have to switch to Internet Explorer again so I don't have to remember all my passwords.

I find Edge looks really nice compared to other browsers -- obviously Microsoft did a good job with the styling, making it fit with the rest of the OS, and it seems fast enough. Still not a fan of the font smoothing evident in Microsoft browsers, however.

JREwing78

So far, I have little reason to use the Microsoft Edge browser. It has trouble on Microsoft's own websites - forcing me back to Internet Explorer or (usually) back to Firefox.

Surprisingly, the in-place upgrades are working very well on the devices I've deployed it to. Granted, I started with healthy systems. An upraised middle finger to Microsoft for changing my browser preferences.

I can certainly do without the Wi-Fi Sense feature that shares all of your wi-fi passwords with your contacts (albeit obscured by Microsoft). That's the kind of thing that's completely unacceptable, particularly since it's an opt-out system. I shut it off on everything I've deployed it to - and I'm really glad I haven't linked my Facebook and Microsoft accounts together. Not going to, either. Nada!

jakeroot

Quote from: JREwing78 on August 02, 2015, 11:02:11 PM
An upraised middle finger to Microsoft for changing my browser preferences.

During the setup process, Microsoft asks you to change your default programs to their new programs, and you have to "OK" it. Presuming you didn't deselect the option to make Edge the default browser, you can't really be angry at them...after all, you did "OK" it.

iBallasticwolf2

I finally installed Windows 10 on my computer. It is really good so far.

slorydn1

Not that I'm in a hurry, but my computer still hasn't downloaded it yet. Maybe its trying to tell me something :sombrero:
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Zeffy

Did anyone check out Microsoft's Maps app in Windows 10? I like it quite a bit, and even though there is no street view, it is insanely smooth and it has really nice 3D city views!

AND it has a 3D city for Trenton! Not even Google has that! Although, I am shocked that some towns like Toms River and Edison made it in this list, but Hartford and New Haven Connecticut didn't.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.