News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Interim Approval for Optional Use of an Intersection Bicycle Box (IA-18)

Started by cl94, October 23, 2016, 11:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cl94

On October 12, the FHWA issued a new interim approval for bicycle boxes, the first new interim approval since August 2014.

QuotePurpose: The purpose of this memorandum is to issue an Interim Approval for the optional use of intersection bicycle boxes. Interim Approval allows provisional use, pending official rulemaking, of a new traffic control device, a revision to the application or manner of use of an existing traffic control device, or a provision not specifically described in the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices for Streets and Highways (MUTCD).

QuoteBackground: With an increasing number of bicycle lanes marked on the curb side of streets, the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) has been requested to provide traffic control devices to facilitate bicyclists positioned to the right side of general-use travel lanes to enter the center of the general-use lanes at the approach to a signalized intersection. The intersection bicycle box is a designated area on the approach to a signalized intersection, between an advance stop line and the intersection stop line, intended to provide bicycles a space in which to wait in front of stopped motor vehicles during the red signal phase so that they are more visible to motorists at the start of the green signal phase. Positioning bicyclists in the center of the appropriate lane allows them to turn from a location where they are more visible to surrounding traffic, can increase the visibility of stopped bicycle traffic at an intersection, can reduce conflicts between bicycles and motor vehicles, can help mitigate intersection right-turn ("right-hook") conflicts, and can help group bicycles together to clear intersections more quickly.

QuoteThe intersection bicycle box described in this Interim Approval memorandum is a new traffic control device and has been used in the United States only on an experimental basis through the MUTCD official experimentation process, which is described in Section 1A.10.

Research on Bicycle Boxes: Agencies around the country have shown significant interest in intersection bicycle boxes, with over 25 experiments approved under the 2009 Edition of the MUTCD for a variety of State, County, and local government agencies including the Minnesota Department of Transportation; the District of Columbia Department of Transportation; and the cities of Austin, TX; Columbus, OH; Madison, WI; Missoula, MT; and Portland, OR.

These experiments have used a relatively consistent design of a bicycle box that includes the following elements:
-An advance stop line placed at least 10 feet in advance of the pedestrian crosswalk or the intersection stop line;
-A bicycle symbol pavement marking within the space beyond the advance stop line to indicate that bicyclists may wait in this area;
-At least a short length of bicycle lane approaching the bicycle box provided as a clear and predictable path for bicyclists to enter the box;
-Prohibition of turns on red if they would normally be allowed from the lane where the bicycle box is installed; and
-Countdown pedestrian signals provided across the approach on which the bicycle box is located if the bicycle box is installed across more than one lane of a signalized approach.

Basically, it's designed to make bicycles more visible to motorists, as well as make turns for bicycles safer. The interim approval page provides more background and diagrams.

Any thoughts?
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

corco

I used to use the ones on Mountain in Tucson when I'd commute to school by bike, and there's talk about putting them in in Boise.

I support them when used on streets that are heavily used by cyclists - probably best not to apply these everywhere, but designating a couple bike-priority streets in a downtown grid and using boxes on those streets seems like a good idea, because it does make it much easier and more comfortable to cycle through intersections.

I am surprised the MUTCD isn't requiring green-painted pavement where they are installed, though.

froggie

I've seen and heard complaints about the bike boxes DDOT installed...not because they don't work, but because drivers in the DC area have a tendency to not stop at the stop line but instead in the middle of the bike box or even in the middle of the crosswalk.

cl94

Quote from: corco on October 23, 2016, 11:40:44 PM
I am surprised the MUTCD isn't requiring green-painted pavement where they are installed, though.

Green pavement is an option that I expect many agencies to use.

Quote from: froggie on October 24, 2016, 07:26:57 AM
I've seen and heard complaints about the bike boxes DDOT installed...not because they don't work, but because drivers in the DC area have a tendency to not stop at the stop line but instead in the middle of the bike box or even in the middle of the crosswalk.

Well, that's a different issue altogether. Install more red light cameras and have them activate when people cross the line.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

corco

Quote from: cl94 on October 24, 2016, 03:35:06 PM
Well, that's a different issue altogether. Install more red light cameras and have them activate when people cross the line.

Or just use green pavement

jeffandnicole

Do bicyclists in the DC area have a tendency to obey all the laws as well, or are they nitpicking against what car drivers do while ignoring laws themselves?

corco

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 24, 2016, 08:49:23 PM

Do bicyclists in the DC area have a tendency to obey all the laws as well, or are they nitpicking against what car drivers do while ignoring laws themselves?

Are you capable of responding to a post about anything tangentially bike-related without immediately antagonizing cyclist behavior, while adding nothing else to the conversation?

JMAN_WiS&S

Quote from: corco on October 24, 2016, 08:28:14 PM
Quote from: cl94 on October 24, 2016, 03:35:06 PM

Or just use green pavement

We had bike boxes put in at an intersection in Eau Claire Wi, they didn't end up painting it green or putting bike symbols in it so it seems pretty pointless since there aren't any others in the area, so locals aren't familiar with them.
Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

Brandon

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 24, 2016, 08:49:23 PM

I know in Chicago they sure as hell don't.  Bicyclists, motorcyclists, motorists, and truckers all have the same lack of respect for traffic laws here.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

myosh_tino

My hometown installed one of these about 5 months ago at the intersection of McClellan Rd and Stelling Rd as part of a repaving project.  Having never seen one of these before, I was a little confused as to why the stop bar was so far back from the intersection.

Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Brandon

IMHO, it's a bad idea to have slower accelerating traffic in front of faster accelerating traffic.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

cl94

Quote from: Brandon on October 27, 2016, 09:23:48 PM
IMHO, it's a bad idea to have slower accelerating traffic in front of faster accelerating traffic.

I agree, but the point here is visibility. Also makes it a heck of a lot easier for bikes to make a safe left turn.

kphoger

Depends on the vehicles. My father, while cycling, has beaten a guy driving a Ferrari from one stoplight to the next one a block away. Bicycles have nowhere near the top speed of a car, but they can accelerate very quickly.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SectorZ

Quote from: kphoger on October 27, 2016, 10:50:15 PM
Depends on the vehicles. My father, while cycling, has beaten a guy driving a Ferrari from one stoplight to the next one a block away. Bicycles have nowhere near the top speed of a car, but they can accelerate very quickly.

I am a cyclist. I can't beat a Ferrari off the line. None can, unless either the driver of said Ferrari lets you, or there is a significant backup of traffic.

Darkchylde

I wouldn't want to be in one of those boxes and have a semi pull up behind me... yeah, I can outrun a semi on a bike, but what if he tries to jump the light a little?

I think I'll just stick with my normal left turn technique - go straight while on the right side of the road, then use a corner parking lot or something as a poor girl's loop ramp.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.