News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

PA - US 219 Expressway Could Begin This Year

Started by PAHighways, January 20, 2010, 07:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAHighways

Somerset County has been waiting 40 years for a high-speed, limited-access upgrade to US 219 and it looks it might begin this year.  If everything goes well, bids could open in November.

http://www.wjactv.com/news/22275799/detail.html

rickmastfan67

This is great news!  I've been waiting for them to start work on the completion of the US-219 expressway extension from the Meyersdale Bypass down to I-68.

I wonder if this will help out the section between Somerset and Meyersdale as well?  Because I haven't heard anything on that segment in awhile.

dave19

CanesFan27

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 20, 2010, 07:26:46 PM
This is great news!  I've been waiting for them to start work on the completion of the US-219 expressway extension from the Meyersdale Bypass down to I-68.

I wonder if this will help out the section between Somerset and Meyersdale as well?  Because I haven't heard anything on that segment in awhile.

It's actually for the Somerset to Myersdale segment. 

rickmastfan67

Figures I would be wrong. lol.

Still either segment would be welcomed. :)

Mr_Northside

I'd even say that the Somerset <--> Meyersdale segment would be even more welcome, since that current stretch of 219 is even worse than the Meyersdal <--> I-68 segment.
I still won't believe it until I see / drive it.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

PAHighways

rickmastfan67

Tolls... Hmmmm....  Don't know what to say about that.

Maybe if I could play the lottery and win, I should loan them the $37 Million to fund the Somerset > Meyersdale segment Toll Free. haha.

PAHighways

Tolling shouldn't come as a surprise option since this section and Ebensburg north were on a list for a second round of PTC extensions.

LeftyJR

I know that many cite the Continental 1 reason for building this road, but I've lived in PA all my life and  the northern part of Cambria, Clearfield, McKean, and Elk counties is the most desolate area in the state.  I can't see anyone justifying a multi-billion dollar highway through this area...especially with I-99 just 25 miles to the east.

If I-99 is the pet project, then divert this money to actually FINISHING that road before we move on to another one.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: LeftyJR on September 14, 2010, 11:06:11 AM
I know that many cite the Continental 1 reason for building this road, but I've lived in PA all my life and  the northern part of Cambria, Clearfield, McKean, and Elk counties is the most desolate area in the state.  I can't see anyone justifying a multi-billion dollar highway through this area...especially with I-99 just 25 miles to the east.

Once you get to that Northern Part at I-80, it's certainly more than 25 miles apart (About 64 miles via I-80, doing the math by exit numbers), then north of I-80 they spread even further apart....
But I completely agree that north of I-80, no one is going to justify a freeway thru the Allegheny National Forest area.  I think the most we'll ever see in our lifetimes is maybe some sort of bypass (and probably 2-lane at that) of Brockway, Ridgway, and maybe Wilcox.  If 219 is ever actually fully upgraded in NY, and between I-80 & I-68, maybe there will be pressure to finish such a "missing link".  But I'll be surprised to see even those sections built (MAYBE NY will get it done all the way down to Salamanca)

QuoteIf I-99 is the pet project, then divert this money to actually FINISHING that road before we move on to another one.

North of the PA Turnpike, I agree... Though south of the Turnpike, my opinion is that 219 is still the priority.  The remaining current corridor in Somerset County is much worse than US-220 south of Bedford (which I think has no plans for any upgrade / Future I-99 ambitions at this time anyway), and would probably be a better use of money (assuming it can even be found).  And while it certainly has seemed that I-99 has been the "pet project" the last couple of decades, I think US-219 in Somerset County has been on the books for just as long (though I could be wrong about that)
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

LeftyJR

Quote from: Mr_Northside on September 14, 2010, 11:43:03 AM
North of the PA Turnpike, I agree... Though south of the Turnpike, my opinion is that 219 is still the priority.  The remaining current corridor in Somerset County is much worse than US-220 south of Bedford (which I think has no plans for any upgrade / Future I-99 ambitions at this time anyway), and would probably be a better use of money (assuming it can even be found).  And while it certainly has seemed that I-99 has been the "pet project" the last couple of decades, I think US-219 in Somerset County has been on the books for just as long (though I could be wrong about that)

I actually concur with you on that aspect.  US-219 south of Somerset is really bad.  Did you see this?  http://times-news.com/local/x223861946/ARC-official-supports-highway - The only thing that could be a problem with this is that US 220 between MD and Bedford could get a huge increase in traffic w/o a four lane road there.

Although, US 220 has 4 lane right of way south of Bedford for at least 5 miles.

hbelkins

US 220 between Bedford and Cumberland was originally part of the ARC corridor slated for improvement (and probably expanded into the southernmost portion of I-99). However that mileage as part of the ARC system was swapped for something in the State College area, I think US 322 west from Port Matilda over to I-80. So it looks like I-99 will not go south to Cumberland as originally planned.

I drove US 219 last year on my way back from State College. With the exception of the Meyersdale bypass, it's not something I am interested in doing again. US 119 and/or US 220 are much better alternatives if you need to travel north from the I-68 corridor into Pennsylvania.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

LeftyJR

But Corridor O-1 is a goner as far as I know...although it would give credence to the idea that US 219 doesn't need to be expanded north of Carrolltown.

jemacedo9

Quote from: LeftyJR on September 14, 2010, 11:06:11 AM
I think the most we'll ever see in our lifetimes is maybe some sort of bypass (and probably 2-lane at that) of Brockway, Ridgway, and maybe Wilcox. 

At one point there were plans for a 2-lane Ridgway bypass, and I believe a 2-lane Johnsonburg bypass is soon to open - it goes west of the borough by crossing over the Clarion River twice.

vdeane

MAYBE NY will get it done all the way down to Salamanca
That's the plan, but it will take a LONG time.  Only two segments of that will be done by 2020 (about 2-3 miles per segment, I think).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PAHighways

Quote from: hbelkins on September 14, 2010, 01:49:18 PM
US 220 between Bedford and Cumberland was originally part of the ARC corridor slated for improvement (and probably expanded into the southernmost portion of I-99). However that mileage as part of the ARC system was swapped for something in the State College area, I think US 322 west from Port Matilda over to I-80. So it looks like I-99 will not go south to Cumberland as originally planned.

It will not as indicated by the exit numbers beginning at the Business 220 connector.  If (and that's a big if) an interchange is ever built at the Turnpike, it'd get the second "Exit 0" in PA.

Quote from: hbelkins on September 14, 2010, 01:49:18 PMI drove US 219 last year on my way back from State College. With the exception of the Meyersdale bypass, it's not something I am interested in doing again. US 119 and/or US 220 are much better alternatives if you need to travel north from the I-68 corridor into Pennsylvania.

That section isn't as bad as the one north of Ebensburg.  Last year PennDOT decided to give Cambria and Clearfield Counties a consolation prize by requesting an Alternate US 219.

LeftyJR

Quote from: PAHighways on September 15, 2010, 02:16:54 PM
That section isn't as bad as the one north of Ebensburg.  Last year PennDOT decided to give Cambria and Clearfield Counties a consolation prize by requesting an Alternate US 219.

I have a camp in this area, and I have to admit, US 219 north of Carrolltown is horrible.  It goes through several small towns (like Northern Cambria) which has multiple stop signs and lights.  PA-36 is a much better alternative for people using this for through traffic.  US 219 does get better once you get out of Cambria County, though.

PAHighways

Quote from: jemacedo9 on September 14, 2010, 10:03:45 PMAt one point there were plans for a 2-lane Ridgway bypass, and I believe a 2-lane Johnsonburg bypass is soon to open - it goes west of the borough by crossing over the Clarion River twice.

It is planned to open on September 21.

dave19

Quote from: LeftyJR on September 15, 2010, 03:44:16 PM
Quote from: PAHighways on September 15, 2010, 02:16:54 PM

I have a camp in this area, and I have to admit, US 219 north of Carrolltown is horrible.  It goes through several small towns (like Northern Cambria) which has multiple stop signs and lights.  PA-36 is a much better alternative for people using this for through traffic.  US 219 does get better once you get out of Cambria County, though.
When I lived in Ebensburg years ago, I always traveled the route which will become ALT 219 when heading north. Easily at least 10 minutes faster. Now if there was a way around Carrolltown and its speed traps...

LeftyJR

PA 36 is a pretty nice road for its entire length.  Like you said, its easily at least 10 minutes faster to Mahaffey from Carrolltown.

I haven't seen many speed traps on 219 in Carrolltown, but on Carroll Road towards Patton - that's another story!

PAHighways

Mr_Northside

Sounds good.  Still won't believe it until they're turning dirt though.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mr_Northside on December 16, 2010, 02:23:04 PM
Sounds good.  Still won't believe it until they're turning dirt though.

I'll second that.

PAHighways

Tolls An Option To Fund Route 219 Project - WJAC-TV Johnstown

Not surprising since US 219 was included in a list of a second round of PTC Extensions.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.