News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Turnpike to Thruway

Started by 02 Park Ave, August 29, 2014, 06:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Quote from: Alps on August 31, 2014, 11:47:29 PM
So yes, Tpk-Pkwy-17-87 is the fastest. I don't know where you all are getting Tpk-80-17 instead - that not only is longer for distance, but puts you through the most congested part of 17 in Rochelle Park where it's only 2 lanes each way. You'd have a better time going around on 287 than sitting in that. (semi-facetious)
I was merely pointing out another route than the GSP as the tone was that the OP did not want to use the Parkway.  Yes exiting off of the TPK at Exit 11 and using the GSP straight through is the best and how I would do it. 

I do not know if I would take 17 from Exit 163 though, but now that it is mentioned I would consider it if I had to go that particular way.  I guess, like many here, as road geeks we do not look at what is faster as supposed to clinching roads.  Being Route 17 has no lights now north of US 46 to the NY State Line, I guess it could be shorter and as fast as staying on the Parkway to 87 to go north.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman65 on September 02, 2014, 12:04:48 PM
Quote from: Alps on August 31, 2014, 11:47:29 PM
So yes, Tpk-Pkwy-17-87 is the fastest. I don't know where you all are getting Tpk-80-17 instead - that not only is longer for distance, but puts you through the most congested part of 17 in Rochelle Park where it's only 2 lanes each way. You'd have a better time going around on 287 than sitting in that. (semi-facetious)
I was merely pointing out another route than the GSP as the tone was that the OP did not want to use the Parkway.  Yes exiting off of the TPK at Exit 11 and using the GSP straight through is the best and how I would do it. 

I do not know if I would take 17 from Exit 163 though, but now that it is mentioned I would consider it if I had to go that particular way.  I guess, like many here, as road geeks we do not look at what is faster as supposed to clinching roads.  Being Route 17 has no lights now north of US 46 to the NY State Line, I guess it could be shorter and as fast as staying on the Parkway to 87 to go north.

Minor nitpick, but, "now"?  The Lake Street light was eliminated in the 1980s.

roadman65

Lake Street was eliminated some time prior to when I got my Chevy Berretta in 1989.  When I was driving NJ 17 with my previous Mustang, I noticed when Lake Street and the signal to the north of it were both being eliminated for an interchange.  I had my Mustang from 85 to 89, and it was the first time I clinched it on my own as an adult.

I believe I was checking out the I-287 construction in Mahwah at the time and thought it would make a nice ride on NJ 17 as I was not on it in years.  I was surprised to see those two as the only lights on NJ 17 as from Lake Street to Hasbrouck Heights there were no signals at all.  With that construction and seeing the next signal near US 46, I concluded that NJDOT was making a Jersey Freeway for NJ 17. 

I wanted really to see where the previous Jersey Freeway ended before the total conversion at that time, as for years Paramus was always a Jersey Freeway since I can remember, but always remembered that at Waldwick and Ho Ho Kus there were plenty of lights.  I never remembered where the last signal north of Paramus was and being that all that converted that particular trip, I never got to see where it was.

Sheryl Crowe

Pete from Boston

Some jibberjabber in the comments here:

http://theridgewoodblog.net/reader-says-time-to-build-an-overpass-on-racetrack-road/

says the Race Track Rd.* light was eliminated in the late 1970s to 1980.  I don't know if that's true, since most of my time on 17 then was south of there.  I only remember the Lake St. light north of 46.

While it doesn't show any lights, the Fireplace restaurant on 17 at Ridgewood Ave. has some nice photos of 17 in the 1960s with grassy median in Paramus.  IIRC, they are from the collection viewable at the Paramus Historical Museum near Bergen Community.

* So named because the site of the park-and-ride on 17 was an actual dirt (automobile, I believe) race track as recently as the 1930s.

NJRoadfan

When my friend had a house in Ulster County, we used to take the GSP to NJ-17, it was always the most direct. Looking back at photos from a trip back, traffic in Paramus was a problem. I also noticed that NJDOT removed this BGS: http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/nj/nj_17/spara.jpg

Instead of replacing it, they put up tiny ground mounted signs that nobody can read and likely get plowed down every 2 months.

roadman65

New Jersey was always one to do it that way.  Replacing overheads with small ground mounts or even not erect anything at all!

Wilson Avenue used to have an overhead sign during US 1 & 9's old SB viaduct days where the ramp exited from the middle of the Express and Local lanes.  Many of you would have loved the erroneous US 22 also used on the pull through signs in the day that made it look like US 1, US 9, and US 22 all were concurrent through there.   Anyway, when the sign got removed NJDOT left the ramp unsigned up until they replaced and reconfigured the SB roadway back in the mid 90's that now has the present gantry at that location minus an Express lane exit.

Heck, Florida does it!  On SB US 17, 92, & 441 in Kissimmee, FL there was an overhead assembly at the US 192 junction that got removed.  In fact they did not replace any of the shields upon removal of the mast arm until I complained to FDOT about it and they decided to add the current ground shields that are there now.

St. Augustine used to have an overhead SB on US 1 at its split with US 1 Business, that was removed in the 80's and replaced with ground signs.  It was a classic as it had the text "US 1 SOUTH" for the mainline route and a green "HISTORIC SITES- DOWNTOWN" for US 1 Business.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

I think sometimes there's issues with the structure, and NJDOT takes it down. That, I'm OK with.  But they will take years sometimes to replace it (if they ever do). 

I-295 North to NJ 70 is one of the busier interchanges on the system.  They had to remove the NJ 70, 1 Mile ahead BGS structure.  I finally sent an email a few years after it was removed wondering if it was ever going to be replaced, as the only other advanced BGS for this major interchange was just 1/4 mile ahead of the interchange.  They did put up a new ground mounted BGS...a very large BGS for that matter...but used timber rather than normal steel poles (or an overhead sign).  Good, strong storms with heavy winds will snap the wood.  (We're not talking hurricanes either. We're talking thunderstorms with 50/60mph gusts, which occur every summer).

vdeane

NYSDOT Region 4 recently did something similar with NY 590 north at Blossom Rd (exit 6).  The old gantries are gone, replaced with a ground mount Blossom Rd sign (missing exit tab) and a ground mount "right lane exit only" sign.  They also had something similar temporarily at the I-590 exits for Elmwood Ave (exit 3 SB) and Highland Ave (exit 4 NB) (the Elmwood temporary sign was actually mounted to the gore and is still there) that lasted for years.  Region 9 currently has had something similar on I-88 approaching NY 7 (exit 1 SB) and NY 12B (exit 2 NB).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PHLBOS

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on August 29, 2014, 06:01:09 PM
What is the best route for one to take to access the northbound NYS Thruway from the NJ Turnpike?

I take the Parkway up to the Union tolls and then go west on the I-78 to NJ 24 to the I-287 to the Thruway.

It may be longer than staying on the Parkway, but it's usually an easier drive.
No offense but I believe you just answered your own question; especially if your northbound Thruway destination is north of Suffern. 

Side bar: One could also stay on the Parkway a tad longer and use I-280 West to I-80/287 if one wants to shave off some miles or make that $1.50 GSP toll count.  :)

Quote from: roadman65 on August 30, 2014, 10:59:20 AM
Hey the tolls are very expensive in NJ now.  They have reached and even surpassed Florida which has had high tolls from the 1990's.  Yes it does sound hypocritical for one to pay the high tolls on one road, but not another.  Then again saving 5 dollars on one road and paying the same five or more on another road is still saving 5 bucks.
From NJTP Exit 11 to the NY State Line via the GSP; the total toll is $3 ($1.50 through two plazas/gantries).  North of Exit 11, the toll rate along the NJTP gets more expensive than the GSP.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

vdeane

According to Google Maps, taking Turnpike->80->GSP->17 is 54 minutes, GSP->17 is 57 minutes, and GSP->78->24->287 is 1 hour 2 minutes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

PHLBOS

Quote from: vdeane on September 08, 2014, 03:55:53 PM
According to Google Maps, taking Turnpike->80->GSP->17 is 54 minutes, GSP->17 is 57 minutes, and GSP->78->24->287 is 1 hour 2 minutes.
And according to the NJ Turnpike toll schedule; the car toll from GSP (Exit 11) to US 46 (Exit 18E-W, just south of I-80) is $6.65 ($4.90 for NJ EZ-Pass holders off-peak).  I'm sorry but that's a bit too high IMHO.

One's wallet is better off exiting the Turnpike at either Exit 10 (I-287) or the GSP (Exit 11).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

mtantillo

I always do GSP to 17 from Turnpike Exit 11.

Or.... I'll stay on the GSP to the Thruway EAST over the Tappan Zee, to the Saw Mill, to the Taconic to 90. That's a much more fun drive.

The Turnpike to 80 to 17 is probably slightly faster than the GSP, because you can essentially drive as fast as you want on the Turnpike, but those few extra minutes don't justify paying $3+ extra in tolls.

Do the malls in Bergan County still close on Sundays?  I was amazed at how well 17 flowed on a Sunday compared to Saturday many years ago...

Pete from Boston

Quote from: mtantillo on September 21, 2014, 10:37:23 PM
I always do GSP to 17 from Turnpike Exit 11.

Or.... I'll stay on the GSP to the Thruway EAST over the Tappan Zee, to the Saw Mill, to the Taconic to 90. That's a much more fun drive.

The Turnpike to 80 to 17 is probably slightly faster than the GSP, because you can essentially drive as fast as you want on the Turnpike, but those few extra minutes don't justify paying $3+ extra in tolls.

Do the malls in Bergan County still close on Sundays?  I was amazed at how well 17 flowed on a Sunday compared to Saturday many years ago...

They do.  The last time they didn't was for several weeks after Sandy.  This was followed by yet another round of campaigning to reverse the blue laws, the result of which is that stores are still closed on Sunday.

PHLBOS

Quote from: mtantillo on September 21, 2014, 10:37:23 PMDo the malls in Bergan County still close on Sundays?
I'm assuming that you meant Bergen County.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Jerseyman4

Generally speaking, using I-295, US 1, NJ 18, River Rd (Middlesex CR 622, Piscataway) and I-287 is a good way to get between the NJ Turnpike and the NY Thruway. Other option if you don't mind taking several turns is US 1, Sand Hill Rd (local-South Brunswick), S Middlebush Rd (Somerset CR 615, Franklin), Amwell Rd (CR 514), Cedar Grove Ln (Somerset CR 619, Franklin), Easton Ave (CR 527, Franklin) to I-287. Anytime that it isn't off peak, may not be the best route. Since the Turnpike widening is now finished, NJ Turnpike, GSP, I-78, NJ 24, I-287 is the best way now. Others have commented on using the GSP to NJ 17, which is okay during off peak hours. The area between I-78 and I-280 through Irvington, East Orange and Newark is one of the worst congested parts of the Parkway, with no shoulder! Getting through NJ, involves numerous trial and error.

J Route Z

From South Jersey, use the NJ Turnpike to exit 10, and take I-287 north where it meets Route 17 in Mahwah. It's cheaper than taking the Parkway at exit 11. You can also use exit 9 and take Route 18 northbound.

From North Jersey you can take Route 3 or Route 4 west to the Parkway.

02 Park Ave

Taking the I-287 all the way from the Turnpike is 10 miles longer than the Pkwy-78-24-287 routing.  Depending upon the price of fuel and the motorcar's miles per gallon rate, paying the $1.50 toll may be more economical.
C-o-H

roadman65

Now with the Exit 142 modifications going the Pkwy-78-24 to 287 is much easier.

I never even thought of that way before, as when I lived in New Jersey the tolls on the Parkway were 35 cents a pop and gas was around 90 cents a gallon average.  The Turnpike was $2.35 from Exit 1 to Exit 18 at the time, so it was only the difference of a few cents either way. 

Now it is price per gallon against the very high tolls now on the Parkway.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on February 07, 2015, 11:45:21 AM
Taking the I-287 all the way from the Turnpike is 10 miles longer than the Pkwy-78-24-287 routing.  Depending upon the price of fuel and the motorcar's miles per gallon rate, paying the $1.50 toll may be more economical.
You can also take 82 west to cut the corner to 24 and kill the $1.50 toll.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on February 07, 2015, 11:45:21 AM
Depending upon the price of fuel and the motorcar's miles per gallon rate

Good sir, kindly tell us, how does a gentle-person of nineteen-six such as yourself make acquaintance with the macadamized turnpikes of to-day?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.