News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Western US 59/OK 9 intersection to be reconfigured

Started by bugo, April 21, 2010, 05:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

The current channelized intersection of US 59 and OK 9 favors OK 9.  Northbound on US 59 there's a ramp and a yield sign, while southbound US 59 traffic must stop.  I got an email from my contact at ODOT and US 59 is going to be rerouted and OK 9 will stop at US 59 at a T intersection.  The new alignment will be a curve to the northeast of the current highway.  Also, the US 59/OK 9 overlap will likely be built on the same alignment.  Several houses will have to be demolished along this stretch of road, and the current roadway will have to be rebuilt in places before it becomes half of the expressway.  

Here is a map of the current channelized intersection.  OK 9 runs NW-SE and US 59 comes in from the north and turns onto EB OK 9.

I wonder if this intersection will be abandoned when the new curve is finished?

Sykotyk

I was just on OK-9 last month going to Dallas.

Seemed that OK-9 was the general thru-route and US59 was the interloper. Afterall, US-59 requires a right turn to continue south when it meets US-271. So, unless the future plan is to remove that and curve US-59 there, it's quite a large construction job that amounts to only partially correcting a problem that didn't seem in need of correction.

bugo

There's slightly more traffic on US 59 than OK 9.  US 59 is going to be an expressway so it makes sense to remove the stop sign.  And I agree about Sunset Corner, there should be some sort of interchange with a flyover for US 59 NB traffic.

bugo

There should also be a flyover for NB US 59 traffic at the north end of the Poteau bypass.

Hellfighter

Wow, that looks scary. Who bright idea was this?

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.