News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

KYTC to Study Interstate Upgrades For Audubon and Natcher Parkways

Started by Grzrd, January 19, 2011, 10:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grzrd

KYTC will study what will be necessary to upgrade them to be spurs of I-65 (Natcher) and I-69 (Audubon): http://www.courierpress.com/news/2011/jan/18/kentucky-to-study-parkway-upgrades/

ShawnP

In a dream world I would like to see I-71 extended from Louisville to Owensboro. Dixie Highway (US-31) is horrid from Louisville to Fort Knox/Elizabeth town area. It is so notorious that it has the nickname of Dixie Dieway. It is overbuilt and has dozens of stop lights in that area. Of course it would have to be toll but Kentucky does have tolling authrioty

hbelkins

Does Indiana have the four-laning of US 231 finished? If so, there really isn't a need for a new route to Owensboro. As for the Dixie Highway, the combination of I-65 and KY 313 provides pretty good access to the Radcliff/Fort Knox area for those who don't want to take 31W south from the Watterson or Gene Snyder.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Revive 755

^ If US 231 from I-64 to the Ohio River isn't open with four lanes yet, Google Earth makes it look like it would be somewhat close to opening.

mukade

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 20, 2011, 05:29:44 PM
^ If US 231 from I-64 to the Ohio River isn't open with four lanes yet, Google Earth makes it look like it would be somewhat close to opening.
I have no firsthand knowledge, but Google Maps shows it complete from I-64 south. When I was there in the fall, it was open from I-64 to SR 162 and from SR 70 to the Ohio River.

ShawnP

Well you party poopers. For punishment I propose a certain UK fan have to watch UL five times more this season.

sr641

Interstate 67 is going to start at Bowling Green go along US 231 to Washington, Indiana; join I-69, and then go to South Bend from Indy.
Isaac

tidecat

Last time I drove 231 it was four lanes entirely in Indiana-quite frankly, other than a few at-grade intersections, most of it was nicer than the stretch of I-64 I drove on my way back to Louisville.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

hbelkins

Quote from: sr641 on May 10, 2012, 04:36:13 PM
Interstate 67 is going to start at Bowling Green go along US 231 to Washington, Indiana; join I-69, and then go to South Bend from Indy.

No it won't. I have heard of no official plans to sign I-67 in Kentucky. The Natcher Parkway from Bowling Green up to the Western Kentucky Parkway is slated to be part of I-66 if it is ever signed.

Alps

Enough, we saw it in one thread, then in three more.

sr641

Quote from: hbelkins on May 10, 2012, 10:41:04 PM

No it won't. I have heard of no official plans to sign I-67 in Kentucky. The Natcher Parkway from Bowling Green up to the Western Kentucky Parkway is slated to be part of I-66 if it is ever signed.

Look up Interstate 67 Southern Indiana wthi on google.
Isaac

adt1982

Quote from: sr641 on May 11, 2012, 10:33:52 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 10, 2012, 10:41:04 PM

Look up Interstate 67 Southern Indiana wthi on google.

Ok, we'll make this REALLY simple for you.  All I-67 is right now is an idea that some businesses have come up with. 

'Indiana Department of Transportation officials say they are aware of the proposal but have no comment until a formal request is made for construction."

http://www.wthitv.com/dpp/news/local/southern_indiana/i-67-proposal

Until this road becomes official, you need to stop posting "I-67 will do this" unless you are posting in FICTIONAL HIGHWAYS.

I know that there's not much for a young kid such as yourself to do in Terre Haute (ISU graduate here), but you really need to learn to follow the posting conventions here.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on January 19, 2011, 10:18:32 PM
KYTC will study what will be necessary to upgrade them to be spurs of I-65 (Natcher) and I-69 (Audubon): http://www.courierpress.com/news/2011/jan/18/kentucky-to-study-parkway-upgrades/

Although most of this article is behind a paywall, it appears that the study should be completed in March and that neither spur project "presents unsolvable problems":

Converting the Audubon and William H. Natcher parkways to Interstate 69 and Interstate 65 spurs, respectively, will require time and money, but neither project presents unsolvable problems, according to the consulting firm about finished with a study of the two parkways.
Palmer Engineering of Winchester is almost done with a "strategic corridor planning study," also known as a scoping study, on the two parkways and on the section of U.S. 60 formerly known as the U.S. 60 bypass in Owensboro. In March, state and local officials should know what will have to be done to the Audubon and Natcher parkways to badge them I-69 and I-65 spurs, as well as bringing U.S. 60 around Owensboro up to interstate standards if that becomes necessary.

jnewkirk77

Here's some more from WFIE: http://www.14news.com/story/20208589/major-roads-near-oboro-could-be-getting-facelifts

I still say they could simply renumber them as U.S. 231 (in the case of the Natcher) and U.S. 60 (the Audubon) and things would be just dandy, but that's me.

Revive 755

With all the open even 2di's between 44 and 62 (allowing for the presence of US 62 in Kentucky), I'm surprised Owensboro isn't pushing for one new 2di designation for the Audubon and Natcher Parkways over a couple of spurs.

If Owensboro was in Wisconsin, I'd bet they would be trying that.

jnewkirk77

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 28, 2012, 06:18:26 PM
With all the open even 2di's between 44 and 62 (allowing for the presence of US 62 in Kentucky), I'm surprised Owensboro isn't pushing for one new 2di designation for the Audubon and Natcher Parkways over a couple of spurs.

If Owensboro was in Wisconsin, I'd bet they would be trying that.

SHHHHH ... don't encourage them!  :ded:  :-D  Truth be told, I don't know why they haven't.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on November 28, 2012, 10:19:52 AM
Although most of this article is behind a paywall, it appears that the study should be completed in March and that neither spur project "presents unsolvable problems

This article reports that, on December 10, Palmer Engineering senior project manager Gary Sharpe spoke to a Bowling Green audience about the probable cost for needed upgrades for an interstate designation:

A report should be ready for the public in March that will outline what it would take to upgrade a 100-mile corridor, including points from Bowling Green to Owensboro, to interstate standards.
The look by Palmer Engineering of Winchester is intended to be a baseline for a possible interstate connection (either Interstate 65 or the proposed I-66) to I-69 in Western Kentucky ....
Sharpe said parkway work will cost about $9.9 million, or $314,000 a mile.
"So this gives us an idea that it can be done relatively efficiently,"  Sharpe said.
That figure, however, doesn't include the cost to reconfigure interchanges that would need help in this corridor.

One such interchange is on the Natcher at Bowling Green's doorstep, where an old toll booth was removed several years ago.

Sharpe also spoke about general upgrades that would be needed:

In general, the width of both the driving lanes on parkways and their paved shoulders already meet interstate standards. The main problem areas are the length of the lanes going on and off the parkway. The exits and entrances do not meet interstate standards where those lanes are concerned, Sharpe said.
Bridges are another major issue. They range in width from 30 feet to 39.25 feet wide. Thirty-six bridges have width deficiencies, and an additional four bridges have vertical deficiencies.
"Many bridge railings ... don't meet the standards,"  Sharpe said.

He also spoke about how part of the report will be organized:

Sharpe said all the road facilities in the corridor have been inventoried, and the report due in March will have recommendations about things that need to be updated and cost estimates to do so. The estimates will take a look at what it would cost to do just the bare minimum upgrades and spot safety improvements and what it would cost to fully implement reconstruction. In this area, work on the Natcher Parkway will be broken into two sections, a 9-mile section from mile marker 2 to 11 and then from mile marker 11 to mile marker 37.1.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on December 12, 2012, 01:49:28 PM
This article reports that, on December 10, Palmer Engineering senior project manager Gary Sharpe spoke to a Bowling Green audience about the probable cost for needed upgrades for an interstate designation:
A report should be ready for the public in March that will outline what it would take to upgrade a 100-mile corridor, including points from Bowling Green to Owensboro, to interstate standards.
Quote from: Grzrd on February 16, 2014, 10:03:40 AM
Here are parts of the (behind paywall) article:
Owensboro Mayor Ron Payne .... is continuing to push to see a study that examines the Natcher and Audubon parkways as well as the former U.S. 60 Bypass to determine what it would take to bring them up to Interstate standards.
(above quote from I-69 Ohio River Bridge thread)

Although Payne is currently in the news regarding the I-69 Ohio River Bridge, it is interesting that he asserts that he is having difficulty obtaining a copy of the Audubon/Natcher study. The study that examines the Natcher and Audubon parkways as well as the former U.S. 60 Bypass to determine what it would take to bring them up to Interstate standards was supposed to be finished around March, 2013. I wouldn't mind seeing it, either.  :-P  Sounds like KYTC may not respond to my email asking about it.............

hbelkins

Quote from: Grzrd on February 16, 2014, 10:42:25 AMSounds like KYTC may not respond to my email asking about it.............

It's a public document. They can't deny you access. And they have a habit and history of working with local officials so they aren't denying the crazy mayor anything.

To whom did you send the email? A specific person or via the Web form?

Grzrd

^ I used the web form a little over a week ago ... still well within normal response time.  I was surprised by the Mayor's allegation that he is having difficulty obtaining a copy and I simply reacted to it.  I am hopeful to receive a response this week.  No offense intended.

hbelkins

No offense intended. The way that process works is that the Web comments are generally directed to the district which is relevant to the question. Those come in to the Office of Public Affairs in Frankfort and are sent out to the chief district engineers and public information officers for an answer. Normally, a question about Owensboro would go to the Madisonville district office, but since the question was about a planning study, they may keep it in Frankfort for an answer.

hbelkins

Quote from: Grzrd on February 16, 2014, 11:43:55 AM
^ I used the web form a little over a week ago ... still well within normal response time.  I was surprised by the Mayor's allegation that he is having difficulty obtaining a copy and I simply reacted to it.  I am hopeful to receive a response this week.  No offense intended.

I thought this was in the I-69 bridge thread and I responded there as part of a larger overall post, but...

I learned yesterday that the study is not yet complete. It's kinda hard to give someone something that doesn't exist yet, so Mayor Payne needs to cool his heels until the study is complete, and then he'll get his copy.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on December 12, 2012, 01:49:28 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 18, 2014, 10:11:30 AM
I learned yesterday that the study is not yet complete.

Do you have any idea what is holding it up?  In December 2012, the Pamer Engineering representative seemed confident that it would be ready for public review in March 2013.

hbelkins

I got the impression that the work is done but the results have not yet been written up. No idea as to why, however.

thefro

http://www.messenger-inquirer.com/news/local/article_ae6bbc7b-cd31-5496-896a-972bbc792cb9.html

This article reports the study has been expanded to examine the entire proposed "I-67" corridor which is why it isn't finished yet.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.