News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-66 in Kentucky?!

Started by Strider, January 08, 2013, 01:28:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strider

I happened to look at Google Maps for a town in Kentucky.. and as I was looking at it... there is in fact I-66 shields (if you zoomed closer and closer, you'll see it) signed along I-24 from Kentucky state line towards the I-69 interchange.. then follows I-69 North....then disappears.. I am very sure this is Google Map's error.. since I knew I-66 isn't happening in Kentucky....unless I missed something..?

NE2

http://www.google.com/search?q=I-66+kentucky

It doesn't exist in the real world except on 'future I-66 corridor' signs, so Google pulled their usual crap.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

seicer

It's not.

The Cumberland Parkway bypass of Somerset is half-way complete and is signed as the Cumberland Parkway, not I-66. There are no other shields of the interstate in the state, or elsewhere west of Virginia, unless you count those not-so-official "Corridor" groupies.

In West Virginia, the roadway is being built as US 121, the Coalfields Expressway, which has at-grade intersections and some interchanges.

hbelkins

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on January 08, 2013, 05:04:30 PM
It's not.

The Cumberland Parkway bypass of Somerset is half-way complete and is signed as the Cumberland Parkway, not I-66. There are no other shields of the interstate in the state, or elsewhere west of Virginia, unless you count those not-so-official "Corridor" groupies.

In West Virginia, the roadway is being built as US 121, the Coalfields Expressway, which has at-grade intersections and some interchanges.

Not exactly.

US 121 will end at US 23 somewhere near Pound Va.

I don't know if I-66 in Pike County, Ky. is officially dead yet, but if it is ever built, there might be some construction in West Virginia to link it to US 52. That will probably be as far east as the western extension is ever built.

I don't even think Kentucky shows the future I-66 corridor on its official maps anymore.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Strider

I figured it's Google Map's error.. they need to stop putting wrongdoings on the maps to confuse people haha.

Revive 755

Quote from: hbelkins on January 08, 2013, 06:40:56 PM
I don't know if I-66 in Pike County, Ky. is officially dead yet, but if it is ever built, there might be some construction in West Virginia to link it to US 52. That will probably be as far east as the western extension is ever built.

I don't even think Kentucky shows the future I-66 corridor on its official maps anymore.

Is Kentucky still going to build the northern bypass of Bowling Green if I-66 is not built elsewhere in the state?

hbelkins

Didn't know there was a northern bypass of BG planned. I'd think that the relocated US 68 would suffice as a northern/western bypass.

jnewkirk77

The northern bypass of BG was one alternative floated to take "I-66" around the city; the other (more plausible, IMHO) option I recall was just to have it follow I-65 from the Cumberland Pkwy. interchange to the Natcher Pkwy. interchange.

tidecat

How's the northern bypass of Somerset coming along?
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

seicer

It's completed to US 27 from the Cumberland Parkway, and is signed as the Cumberland Parkway. It has stubs for an extension to KY 80 on the east side of the city, but that section is not under construction.

US 41

Google Maps not only shows I-66, but they show I-69 on the Pennyrile Prkwy. and I-369 going to Owensboro.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

hbelkins

Yes, and Google has ignored requests from KYTC personnel to remove the I-69 and I-369 designations from where they don't belong.

Anyone who looked at the I-69 study referenced in that thread may have noted that  I-66 is marked on both the WK east of the Pennyrile AND I-24 west of the WK terminus. That study is projecting three concurrent routes on I-24 west of Eddyville.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.