News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 73/74

Started by Voyager, January 18, 2009, 08:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CanesFan27

No, I-74 is not going to be changed to run from Wilmington to Charlotte...

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2010/02/i-74-in-charlotte.html

froggie

One thing with taking 77 up to 58 is you'd be able to check out status of the Hillsville bypass construction.

And I'd suspect that Google is somewhat overrepresenting travel time on 58 now, for two reasons:  it doesn't factor in that all of 58 east of Stuart is now 4 lanes.  And it also doesn't factor in that much of 58 is now signed for 60 MPH.  With the several-years-ago completion of the Danville and Clarksville bypasses, the only real slow-downs east of Martinsburg are a few signals east of Danville, from South Hill to Brodnax, through Emporia, and the west side of Suffolk.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: froggie on February 03, 2010, 11:19:45 PM
One thing with taking 77 up to 58 is you'd be able to check out status of the Hillsville bypass construction.

And I'd suspect that Google is somewhat overrepresenting travel time on 58 now, for two reasons:  it doesn't factor in that all of 58 east of Stuart is now 4 lanes.  And it also doesn't factor in that much of 58 is now signed for 60 MPH.  With the several-years-ago completion of the Danville and Clarksville bypasses, the only real slow-downs east of Martinsburg are a few signals east of Danville, from South Hill to Brodnax, through Emporia, and the west side of Suffolk.

Ah-ha... yes it would!

And I typically cut at least an hour off of the directions from google. I don't know how they calculate the estimated travel times, but I assume that since it no longer recognizes many of the bypasses as freeways it assumes them to be slower. I also don't think google factors in the speed people actually drive. I don't think I'd be doing precisely 60 the whole way on 58. ;)
What would you estimate the actual time at?
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

vdeane

I've found google to be very accurate at estimating time, but then again, I actually drive within 5 mph of the speed limit at almost all times.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on February 03, 2010, 11:19:45 PM

I'd have to second (or is that third or fourth) the US 58 recommendation. It's a pretty drive. Plus there are all those cutouts in Hillsville to see if you are into such things. And the drive on I-77 north of the state line is interesting as well, although I think it's even more interesting southbound.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CanesFan27

CanesFan27

Bob Malme take a look at the progress on the Future I-74/US 311 freeway to where it will tie into I-73/US 220:

http://surewhynotnow.blogspot.com/2010/10/i-74us-311-randolph-county-progress.html

rickmastfan67

So, since Bob is moving back North, what will happen to his website on I-73/74?  Will it stay at the current URL, or will it move to a new one?

CanesFan27

It will be moving over to our site.

rickmastfan67

Then you should have Bob post a new URL link on the current site before the move so people can get their favorites updated before the old site goes dead. ;)

CanesFan27

I don't know when Bob will move or what he will file it under.  That is his choice.  He has all his info saved.  So if it is removed from Duke University, nothing will be lost.  I am sure once he is settled he will make a conversion, I am sure moving his website is the least of his priorities at the moment.

jwolfer

I really don't like I-74 in NC.  I think the current US 74 freeway from I 26 to Charlotte and the existing I-74 should be I-28 all the way to Wilmington and leave US-74 on the surface roads .. It would fit better in the interstate grid, avoid the 73/74 multiplex and as others have said  we will be lucky to have this road completed thru OH, KY and WV in our lifetimes

IMO I-20 should be extended to Myrtle Beach

CanesFan27

Looks like Monday the 22nd is when the next segment of I-74 will open here in NC.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2010/11/12/article/new_section_of_us_311_to_open_later_this_month#nrcRgn_PgBody

I may be able to get out and take photos of the new road on the 26th or 27th.

mightyace

A line is the article is optimistic.

QuoteEventually, U.S. 311 will become part of the Interstate 74 network, which will link the Midwest to the coast of South Carolina.

If by eventually, they mean the next 100 years, then they may be right.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

njroadhorse

Just curious about something.  I was heading down the US 52 freeway between Mount Airy and Winston Salem on Saturday, and I was wondering what/how much upgrade work besides that interchange in downtown Winston-Salem with BL-40 needs to be done to US 52 before they can sign that as I-74.  I still find it a little silly to sign I-74 between 77 and 52 but abruptly end it there.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

CanesFan27

You have the left hand exits at Pilot Mountain (Old US 52) and the NC 66 connector (King).  Substandard ramps along the older parts of the highway in Surry County the Pilot Mountain State Park interchange comes to mind.

Some areas lack shoulders etc.  I know that a total rebuild and improvement of the King/Tobaccoville Interchange is underway.

Can it be I-74 now, yeah for the most part, but modern standards won't allow it.

dfilpus

Quote from: CanesFan27 on November 15, 2010, 04:46:58 PM
You have the left hand exits at Pilot Mountain (Old US 52) and the NC 66 connector (King).  Substandard ramps along the older parts of the highway in Surry County the Pilot Mountain State Park interchange comes to mind.

Some areas lack shoulders etc.  I know that a total rebuild and improvement of the King/Tobaccoville Interchange is underway.

Can it be I-74 now, yeah for the most part, but modern standards won't allow it.
The NC 66 connector is where the interchange with the Winston-Salem loop is planned. It is also where I 74 will exit US 52. US 52 from there to I 40 is not planned to be upgraded to interstate standard. South of I 40, US 52 is planned to be I 285. If they ever upgrade that mess of exits in downtown Winston, I 285 could be extended north to I 74.

CanesFan27

Last February, South Carolina received $10 million in TIGER Grant money for
Interstate 73. They had asked for $300 million. But the grant money will not
be wasted, as South Carolina has finalized plans for some preliminary
construction work for when the Interstate highway will eventually be built.

The grant money will be used to widen nearly one mile each of US 301 and 501 at
where the Interstate will cross both roads south of Latta. Also, the current
intersection of US 301/501 just outside of Latta will be improved. US 301 and
501 will be widened from two lanes to three.

In addition, the Catfish Church Road bridge over I-95 and frontage roads in the
general area will be replaced and moved. Catfish Church Road crosses Interstate
95 just south of where the I-73/I-95 interchange will be located.

Construction should start in 2011 and be completed in about a year's time.

Story Links:
http://www2.scnow.com/news/2010/nov/05/plans-10m-i-73-federal-grant-approved-ar-1054447/
http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/11/09/1802133/money-coming-for-bit-of-i-73.html

rickmastfan67

Quote from: CanesFan27 on November 15, 2010, 02:47:56 PM
I may be able to get out and take photos of the new road on the 26th or 27th.

Can't wait.  Especially to see if it's going to be posted as I-74 in addition to US-311.

rickmastfan67

I just saw this link posted over @ seroads by Bob.
http://www.myfox8.com/news/wghp-story-hwy-311-ribbon-101118,0,1285301.story

It contains a video as well showing new signs and the news crew traveling on the new highway.  Unfortunately, it doesn't provide any proof on if it will also be posted as I-74/US-311, or as Future I-74/US-311, or just plain US-311.

CanesFan27

A few years ago Bob posted a link to the sign plans that have it with 311 and 74.  The bypass will be at least signed as US 311.

dfilpus

I drove US 311 through the area November 10th. They were putting up the BGS over the road at the I 85 Business/US 29/US 70 exit. The BGS had I 74 and US 311 shields for the through lanes. Bob has published photos of I 74 milemarkers on the unopened road. It looks like it is signed I 74/US 311 on the new road from I 85 Business to Cedar Square Road. Whether the I 74 signage extends west to the Main Street (Old Business 311) exit is to be determined.

Buummu

Drove on the new opened part of the freeway from Business I-85 to Cedar Square Rd.. I am pretty impressed with the roadway. The only thing is: why would NCDOT label I-74 between Main St (former Business 311) to Cedar Square Rd as I-74/US 311, while from there to I-40 is labeled Future I-74/US 311? I know about the interstate standard rule and the future Winston-Salem loop, but why bother labeling the road as I-74 if it is not connected from I-40 to I-85? (that will change when the road is finished towards US 220). Although the Winston Salem loop is not funded and is ranked last in the NCDOT priority, who knows when we will see I-74 extended up north from I-40 to meet up with the northwest I-74 that leaves from US 52 towards I-77.

CanesFan27

Grzrd

Quote from: CanesFan27 on November 17, 2010, 10:25:53 PM
Last February, South Carolina received $10 million in TIGER Grant money for
Interstate 73. They had asked for $300 million. But the grant money will not
be wasted, as South Carolina has finalized plans for some preliminary
construction work for when the Interstate highway will eventually be built.
SCDOT has recently approved $105 million in funding for the Dillon County, S.C. I-73/I-95 interchange:

http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=608945

http://www2.scnow.com/news/pee-dee/2011/apr/22/funding-approved-dillon-county-i-73-interchange-ho-ar-1750518/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.