I-80 Express Lanes & I-80/680/SR 12 Interchange Project

Started by coatimundi, October 10, 2016, 11:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coatimundi

Moved off of a thread about suffixed I-5 routes.
Original discussion (starts around Page 4, but is interspersed with on-topic chatter): https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=18341.75

Project page:
http://www.sta.ca.gov/Content/10081/Interstate_Highway_Projects.html#i80express

Project will construct new express/HOT lanes from west of Exit 39A (Red Top Road) to just east of the I-505 interchange, and will relocate the northern end of I-680 at I-80 to connect with the existing SR 12 interchange.
Phase 1 of this project has already been completed: http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist4/projects/solano8068012/

jrouse

A few items of note:
The 80/680/12 interchange reconstruction is a separate project from the express lanes.

The express lane project has 2 components - conversion of the existing HOV lanes in Fairfield to HOT lanes and a new HOT lane in each direction from Fairfield to Vacaville.

The HOV lanes currently operate with continuous access - you can enter and exit from any point - and the HOT lanes will still have that feature, as will the new lanes.  Bay Area planners believe that the continuous access will make the lanes more attractive to users.  There is some risk of increased violations with this feature but they believe that it may not be much of a problem. 

iPhone

coatimundi

Quote from: jrouse on October 14, 2016, 08:49:13 PM
The HOV lanes currently operate with continuous access - you can enter and exit from any point - and the HOT lanes will still have that feature, as will the new lanes.  Bay Area planners believe that the continuous access will make the lanes more attractive to users.  There is some risk of increased violations with this feature but they believe that it may not be much of a problem.

Wow, I didn't see that one. What's to stop people from shunpiking by simply darting in and out between transponder readers? Secret reader positioning?

jrouse

Quote from: coatimundi on October 14, 2016, 10:10:07 PM
Quote from: jrouse on October 14, 2016, 08:49:13 PM

Wow, I didn't see that one. What's to stop people from shunpiking by simply darting in and out between transponder readers? Secret reader positioning?

A couple of things:
1.  The HOT lanes are broken into segments, each with their own toll.  No matter how far you drive in a segment, you'll pay the same toll.

2.  Readers are frequently spaced - about every 3/4 of a mile.

3. Experience in Washington and Minnesota with continuous access HOT lanes showed that during peak periods there is little incentive to weave in and out of the HOT lane because of congestion in the general purpose lanes.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.