News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Southern Ohio: SR 823 / Portsmouth Bypass

Started by seicer, June 17, 2013, 02:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck87

QuoteAdditional ecological studies became necessary as plans for the bypass were changed from three phases to a single-phase construction project.

Well that's an interesting development.

vtk

Construction work has become evident at the north end:

(Edit: apparently that's just the land owners taking some logging revenue before they give up the land to the state.)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

vtk

District 9 seems terrible at providing up to date information about this project.  All I can find is stuff about the P3/contract side of it, heavy with business jargon. 

When is it supposed to be done, anyway?  I thought this P3 stuff was supposed to get the project moving "at the speed of business", but I found an article from a local news article saying it's expected to be finished in 2019.  Seriously?  They condensed it to one phase instead of three, and it's still going to take five or six years?

seicer

The Portsmouth newspaper really needs to get rid of lazy Frank Lewis, who relies on quotes for much of his articles. Every other paragraph is a quote.

GCrites

Quote from: vtk on February 04, 2014, 02:57:44 PM
Construction work has become evident at the north end:

(Edit: apparently that's just the land owners taking some logging revenue before they give up the land to the state.)

I'm surprised the state didn't want logging rights. Or maybe that's not something they ordinarily ask for?

hbelkins

In just about every highway project in Kentucky that requires substantial tree-cutting, most of it is required to be done during winter months. I'm not sure what the environmental concern is for that. I suspect it has to do with animal habitat. I also hardly ever see any timber being harvested by the state. Some locals will get some of the easy pickins for firewood, but most of the wood is piled up and burned.

So it's possible that what's depicted in that photo is normal clearing and grubbing.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Buck87

The latest on this is that ODOT has reached "commercial close" with the winning bidder and that financial close is expected in the first quarter of 2015, after which final design and construction will begin.

http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/InnovativeDelivery/Pages/PortsmouthDBFOM.aspx

vtk

Why is this a PPP again? All this business bullshit doesn't seem to be speeding up the process at all.

GCrites

Well of course not. They have to figure out a way to make a proper business case for a 500 million dollar road.

Buck87

vtk

Quote from: Buck87 on February 18, 2015, 03:20:06 PM
This will now be called the "Southern Ohio Veterans Memorial Highway"

http://portsmouth-dailytimes.com/news/news/151852840/Bypass-named-in-house-bill

That's great, but people will still probably just call it "the bypass".

seicer

There are so many veterans highways in the area already. I wish we could just leave roads as-is and stop renaming every sign post, bridge, pavement and lamp post after every and any entity.

GCrites

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ARMOURERERIC

"Brian Williams lied about his combat zone experiences Highway"

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

seicer

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: NE2 on March 02, 2015, 12:21:46 AM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 01, 2015, 10:38:20 PM
"Bill O'Reilly lied about his combat zone experiences Highway"
Fixed for you.

Thought we would save that for the Illini

hbelkins

ODOT put out a press release calling this "the state's largest modern earthwork project to date." That's hard to believe.

The release isn't online yet, though. It will be on the ODOT District 9 page once it's posted.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vtk

I think the key qualifier there is "modern".  How do they define it?  I suppose it's possible this project has moved more earth than any other since the Interstates were largely finished, but I'm not terribly familiar with big projects in the hilly parts of Ohio.

Buck87

Perhaps it's the largest project let as one contract?
Could the interstates have been made up of individual section projects that were all smaller than this one?

GCrites

Ohio hasn't really moved much dirt in the Appalachian part (the part that requires the most earthwork) in the past 30 years. Some of the 33 bypasses are probably close. A lot of the current Appalachian Ohio work was done by the '60s and '70s -- unlike in neighboring states where major projects are ongoing.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on March 03, 2015, 04:31:41 PM
ODOT put out a press release calling this "the state's largest modern earthwork project to date." That's hard to believe.

The release isn't online yet, though. It will be on the ODOT District 9 page once it's posted.

Considering that ODOT and (then governor) James Rhodes were regularly describing the I-70/77 interchange the largest in the nation, when it was being built in the 1960s, hyperbole is never far from our politicians' lips.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

GCrites

And Ricart Ford is the world's largest!

Those big claims went a lot further when people couldn't Google things to determine if they're bullshit or not. If you make that sort of claim today you'd better be able to back it up.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.