News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 366

Started by bugo, August 05, 2009, 06:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Found at http://www.arkansashighways.com/minute_orders/Mo53-69.pdf

This minute order was dated May 9, 1956.

WHEREAS, the State Highway Commission of Oklahoma has asked the Arkansas State Highway Commission to concur with them in their request for the establishment of a U. S. Route from Amarillo, Texas, to Little Rock, Arkansas; and,

WHEREAS, the State Highway Commission of Oklahoma has requested approval of Federal Designation carrying the number U. S. 366 over Oklahoma State
Highway No. 9 across the State of Oklahoma, and State Highway No. 9 coincides with Highway No. U. S. 271 from Spiro, Oklahoma, to the Arkansas State Line.

NOW, THEREFORE, IT IS ORDERED that the Director be authorized to prepare and submit an application to the American Association of State Highway Officials
for the establishment of a U. S. Route, to be designated No. U. S. 366, between Amarillo, Texas, and Little Rock, Arkansas, with proper supporting papers for the portion within Arkansas, over the following route:

From the Oklahoma State Line, over Highway No. U. S. 271 to No. U. S. 71 at Fort Smith; thence over No. U. S. 71 to No.10 at Greenwood; thence over No.
10 through Booneville, Danville, and Ola to No. 9 at Perry; thence over No. 9 through Perryville to No. 10 at Williams Junction; thence over No. 10 to No. U. S. 70 at Little Rock.

agentsteel53

was the idea ever submitted to Texas?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Chris

So it's gotta be something like this?

Considered the vicinity of the I-40 between the two cities, I don't really see the added value of it, but okay.

Scott5114

The proposal was dated May 9, 1956... the legislation creating the Interstate Highway System was not signed until June 29, 1956.

The route would have followed the entirely of present-day SH-9...thus instead of dipping south at Seminole to pass through McAlester it would have met US 69 at Eufaula. (Making it even more redundant to present-day I-40).

SH-9 is still a major route to this day, especially around Norman and the portion connecting I-35 in Goldsby to Newcastle and Blanchard.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bugo

Quote from: Chris on August 06, 2009, 04:29:48 AM
Considered the vicinity of the I-40 between the two cities, I don't really see the added value of it, but okay.

It would have been a good alternative to US 65/64/266/62/66 back in the pre-interstate days.  Before I-40 came along, the main route from Little Rock to Fort Smith was AR 10 or AR 10-AR 7-AR 22.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.