US 59 expressway in LeFlore County, Oklahoma now open

Started by bugo, August 14, 2011, 05:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

The US 59 4 laning project from the Arkansas River south to OK 9 is almost complete.  Both SB lanes are open and one NB lane is open.  It appears that it is 99% complete.  This replaces a nasty stretch of 2 lane highway.  The new road (twinned) is concrete.  The old highway (SB lanes) has been completely reconstructed.  This makes US 59 4 lanes between I-40 and OK 9.  The only 2 lane section that remains between Sallisaw and Poteau is the OK 9 overlap.

Here is a video of the road while it was under construction:

okroads

Has U.S. 59 been rerouted at the OK 9 West junction yet?

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Quote from: okroads on August 14, 2011, 09:50:35 PM
Has U.S. 59 been rerouted at the OK 9 West junction yet?

No.  The 4 lane ends maybe 1/4 mile north of OK 9.  The OK 9 intersection is going to be moved eastward and US 59 is going to have a sweeping curve and will be the through route.

rte66man

Couple of questions:
(1) - wasn't the SB stretch just north of the Arkansas River rebuilt after the original rebuild had to be torn out?
(2) - what happened to the Wildhorse BBQ stand on the north side of Wildhorse Mtn?

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

US71

Quote from: rte66man on August 17, 2011, 08:29:47 PM

(2) - what happened to the Wildhorse BBQ stand on the north side of Wildhorse Mtn?

rte66man

Wildhorse is still there on an old alignment of 59 (I think it's "Wildhorse Rd"). ODOT took out some hills & curves between Sallisaw and the Arkansas River when it was upgraded to 4 Lanes. I think there are also signs pointing to the place.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Quote from: rte66man on August 17, 2011, 08:29:47 PM
Couple of questions:
(1) - wasn't the SB stretch just north of the Arkansas River rebuilt after the original rebuild had to be torn out?
Most of the new expressway over Wildhorse Mountain is on a new alignment.  The expressway north and south of the mountain is a twinned highway.  I'm not sure if the SB or NB lanes are original.

It's still open, on an old alignment of US 59 signed "Wildhorse Mountan BBQ Road."  The BBQ joint has an old US 59 sign hanging on the wall inside.

RoadWarrior56

I had driven on old US 59 south of Poteau back in the mid 80's.  I thought it was an incredibly scenic drive, one of my all time favorites.  BTW, what is the name of the song in the video and who performs it?

RoadWarrior56

I stand corrected.............I was referring to US 259, not US 59.  That section of 259 north of Broken Bow to its terminus at US 59 was a very scenic drive.

bugo

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on August 27, 2011, 09:08:43 PM
I had driven on old US 59 south of Poteau back in the mid 80's.  I thought it was an incredibly scenic drive, one of my all time favorites.  BTW, what is the name of the song in the video and who performs it?

Evanescence - "Imaginary."

bugo

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on August 28, 2011, 09:41:58 AM
I stand corrected.............I was referring to US 259, not US 59.  That section of 259 north of Broken Bow to its terminus at US 59 was a very scenic drive.

59 is pretty scenic too.  259 is stunning.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.