AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: Today at 09:54:27 AM 
Started by OCGuy81 - Last post by jp the roadgeek
Sorry Delaware and Rhode Island, you can't have high number exits. :sombrero:

However, we in New Jersey got the "What exit number joke" until I stunned one individual when I told him I lived off Exit 135 on the Parkway.  NJ's highest exit number, though, is 172 on the Parkway just before the NY State Line. 

For a small state we still have high exit numbers I will have to say.
Delaware "fakes up" their exit numbers with km based exit numbers on Delaware SR1

LGMS428

DE 1 would have a couple of triple digit numbers if it were converted to miles.  DE 273 would be 101, DE 7/Christiana Mall would be 102 (A/B southbound), I-95 would be 103 A-B-C (B/A Southbound), and DE 58 would be 103D

CT used to have a couple of triple digit exit numbers; 1 on I-395 until a couple of years ago when they were based on the Connecticut Turnpike.  Exits also went up to 106 on the former I-86 when the exits were based on CT 15/Hutch Parkway numbers.  There will be 5 triple digit exits on I-95 (100, 101, 104, 108, 111) when I-95 goes mileage based. 

on: Today at 09:51:55 AM 
Started by Scott5114 - Last post by paulthemapguy
Rio Vista >> Arcola, or per A rule Marshall or Charleston.

IL-016-001WW by Paul Drives, on Flickr

on: Today at 09:50:00 AM 
Started by bugo - Last post by Henry
I-894 certainly has too much history to get rid of now. Despite I-43, and now I-41, sharing parts of its route, it's still an important number for the area, since it bypasses the city, while I-94 goes straight through it.

on: Today at 09:45:22 AM 
Started by Alex - Last post by Henry
I just had a thought on I-95 through the District and how it would've affected the mileage in MD and VA. I-395 from the Springfield Interchange to the Potomac is nine miles, which is only a mile longer than the Beltway routing between the same two places, but what would I-95's mileage have been in MD if it had been completed from the DC line to the College Park Interchange?

on: Today at 09:33:55 AM 
Started by Stephane Dumas - Last post by jwolfer
A real "dark horse" might be a city that grows a lot for reasons we might not currently expect.

Past examples of this would be Las Vegas and Phoenix. Go back 60-70 years and these cities were a lot smaller than today, and it probably was not anticipated that they would grow into what they are today. But, the proliferation of air conditioning has dramatically increased the willingness of many to live in these kinds of desert cities, and the fact that it's just about always sunny makes them attractive.

So a good question to ask might be... what cities are in an area that is currently not heavily populated but might become more attractive due to an advancement in technology?

Funny you mention that. I think that both cities are due for a decline, especially as water becomes more scarce and droughts more common. The American Southwest is an ecological nightmare and we probably shouldn't have settled it as densely as we did. We'll probably look back on that in about a century or so and realize our mistake.

But yeah, predicting boom towns is always a fool's game. You never know what's going to catch on and why.
I disagree. I think if it comes down to it, water pipelines could be built drawing from desalination plants.
Are water bills in Phoenix amd Las Vegas high compared to wetter cities?

LGMS428

on: Today at 09:29:41 AM 
Started by MaxConcrete - Last post by Chris
http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/bryan/081817.html

The estimated toll rates on SH 249 have been published, and they're pretty steep, $ 0.27 / mile when it opens and $ 0.30 per mile by 2025, going up 3-4 cents every 5 years.

A part of the toll road will be a super-two highway. It doesn't quite seem like value-for-money to pay a couple of dollars to drive on a two-lane road.

on: Today at 09:29:03 AM 
Started by OCGuy81 - Last post by jwolfer
Sorry Delaware and Rhode Island, you can't have high number exits. :sombrero:

However, we in New Jersey got the "What exit number joke" until I stunned one individual when I told him I lived off Exit 135 on the Parkway.  NJ's highest exit number, though, is 172 on the Parkway just before the NY State Line. 

For a small state we still have high exit numbers I will have to say.
Delaware "fakes up" their exit numbers with km based exit numbers on Delaware SR1

LGMS428

on: Today at 09:28:37 AM 
Started by Henry - Last post by Henry
Here's I-380 at the SFO Airport:

Only the PA version remains.

on: Today at 09:28:03 AM 
Started by 1 - Last post by roadman
Surprised that NJTA posted that, 'cause the MUTCD that they are now following requires place names as the destination, and elsewhere they seem to be following the rules closely.

From the 2009 MUTCD

Section 2E.13 Designation of Destinations
Standard:
01 The direction of a freeway and the major destinations or control cities along it shall be clearly identified
through the use of appropriate destination legends (see Section 2D.37). Successive freeway guide signs shall
provide continuity in destination names and consistency with available map information. At any decision
point, a given destination shall be indicated by way of only one route.

Although the George Washington Bridge is not on AASHTO's control cities list, an argument could be made that it satisfies the requirements of the above section.  Especially given that the Turnpike splits at the northern end, and it's desirable to keep traffic bound for the bridge on the 'left' fork.

on: Today at 09:27:34 AM 
Started by US 12 fan - Last post by US 12 fan
Agreed on some of these shorter highways. I have always thought Wis 134 was a pointless highway and should be turned into a county highway. I remember back in 1991 when the DOT decided to truncate Wis 142 to end at I-94 instead of Wis 32 like it used to and make that part CTH S. I thought it didn't make sense since Wis 158 should have been a better candidate to turn into a county highway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.