News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Damaged Signs

Started by Ian, July 23, 2009, 08:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

The last two photos were actually taken on consecutive days. Seems like I remember seeing the US 60 marker lying on the ground in the vicinity of the sign that morning.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

joseph1723

Here's another one:

Graffiti and a broken off catwalk, that sign is now gone when the overpass it was attached to was demolished a few months ago .

shoptb1

This damage isn't too bad, but considering this sign was just installed less than a year ago...it hurts to see this :-(

US71

More "falling apart" than damaged
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

I've seen signs that are "peeling" like that in the Columbus, Ohio and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Pa. areas.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

WillWeaverRVA

That reminds me. In spring and summer 2008 we had frequent strong thunderstorms, and it seems Henrico County's traffic signals couldn't withstand the constant punishment. This one got completely obliterated:

It was replaced within a week.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

shoptb1

Quote from: hbelkins on December 23, 2009, 03:01:39 PM
I've seen signs that are "peeling" like that in the Columbus, Ohio and Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Pa. areas.

Yeah, I'll have to get a picture of this, but the I-71 entrance signs at Grove City-Stringtown Road are in pretty bad shape from this "peeling".

hbelkins

shoptb1

myosh_tino

Here's a couple from California.  These signs were damaged by dump trucks who had the loader in the up position as they were traveling down the freeway.  From what I read, the San Diego incident shut down I-805 during the morning commute causing a horrendous backup.

I-805 in San Diego.  Photo is from the local newspaper...

CA-85 in Sunnyvale.  I got this photo off Flickr...
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

agentsteel53

you idiots.  if you're going to take out a sign, take out a retro-reflective one, not a 1972 porcelain!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

myosh_tino

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 24, 2009, 07:46:55 PM
you idiots.  if you're going to take out a sign, take out a retro-reflective one, not a 1972 porcelain!
If I recall correctly, these overhead signs on I-5 southbound near the CA-170 interchange were damaged and I do believe the CA-170 sign is a porcelain judging by the color...

And here is what's left of the sign bridge...
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

SSOWorld

whoops.

Did someone rocket a crane though it? :-D :happy:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

joseph1723

Here's one on Highway 427, The picture was taken from a local newspaper:

While not damaged as the others here's a mangled sign bridge sitting on the ground after it was removed. Incidentally this was on the same highway as the one above.

I've seen sign bridges with their catwalks ripped off before. (presumably by overheight trucks)

TheStranger

mynosh_tino - a bit OT, but what is greened out on the Route 170 sign?
Chris Sampang

myosh_tino

Quote from: TheStranger on December 25, 2009, 05:11:06 AM
mynosh_tino - a bit OT, but what is greened out on the Route 170 sign?
I have no idea :confused:  Maybe Agentsteel53 knows. 

agentsteel53

my guess is La Cienega Freeway.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 25, 2009, 01:08:03 PM
my guess is La Cienega Freeway.

Was that ever signed in the field?  IIRC, by the time the California shield became green, the 170 extension south of Route 2 (and as a freeway southwest of Route 134) was already relegated to paper status; my guess is that it was "Hollywood Freeway."

Chris Sampang

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mightyace

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

joseph1723

Here's a old one:

This one dates to before metric conversion during the late 70's as you can see the "M" from the old "MILES" text peeking out. The original sign bridge is long gone though.

Another impact damaged one:

Bickendan

Saw one on I-5 southbound around Woodburn today. Bottom portion looks like it was torn.

Michael

Quote from: joseph1723 on January 10, 2010, 07:00:17 PM
This one dates to before metric conversion during the late 70's as you can see the "M" from the old "MILES" text peeking out. The original sign bridge is long gone though.

Canada used to use the US measurement system?!

Brandon

Quote from: Michael on January 13, 2010, 02:21:12 PM
Quote from: joseph1723 on January 10, 2010, 07:00:17 PM

Canada used to use the US measurement system?!

Imperial, actually, but the miles were the same even though the gallons were different. ;)
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.