News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Leudimin's road trip!

Started by CNGL-Leudimin, April 30, 2015, 05:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

Inspired by the road trips posted in the namesake subforum, I decided to make a report of my last road trip, which I did on April 18-19 to the forests of Soria province, central Spain. Since it only covers roads outside the U.S. or Canada, I post it here in International Highways. Also, I changed times to Eastern U.S., actually it was six hours latter.

So let's get started. I left home at 4:30 a.m. on April 18 and headed South on A-23. This freeway was built on late 90s, and at first it was numbered N-330 until the 2003 renumbering took place. I got off on exit 332 and went West on A-1209, which is a good road despite being a second tier regional road. This road ends at A-124, which I took North. At first it wasn't in good shape, then it gets better. After that I hit A-125 and went West. This section has some long straights where I did 75 mph. Since I had not been to Ejea after the bypass was completed I drove all of it. Then A-125 gets worse. Some distance after that, works are ongoing to bypass a couple of bends, and right after that the road enters Navarre, becoming NA-125 there. I drove all of it to Tudela, which I bypassed on NA-134 and A-68. Then I headed South on N-121-C. So many towns in it! Then I re-entered Aragon. Due to the Navarre section being maintained by the Chartered Community rather than the Ministry of Public Works (Actually and except for AP-68, every damn road in Navarre is maintained by the Chartered Community even if it bears a national number!), this road has two different designations in 12 miles: N-121-C in Navarre and plain N-121 in Aragon (Google is wrong, however I decided to go with it), strange for a national road. I then made a rest stop in Tarazona. It was 6:40 a.m.

After get something for dinner (In Spain we have some strange habits), I resumed the trip at 8:00 a.m. on N-122 West. The Ágreda bypass is full freeway standard and thus signed A-15, which should eventually reach Tudela, but not anytime soon. The rest of N-122, and every road I drove in Soria province, was in good condition. I bypassed Soria (Not Syria :sombrero:) on SO-20 and then I went on N-234 West (Actually I don't know which direction should assign to it, because in Teruel province it runs North-South!), eventually reaching my final destination, San Leonardo de Yagüe, at 9:40 a.m.

After running a couple of races there, at 8:00 a.m. on April 19 I started the return trip by undoing N-234 back to Soria and taking SO-20 South. The bypass road soon becomes a freeway and heads South. The zero milestone of SO-20 (and thus the point it becomes A-15) is in the middle of nowhere, actually this marks where the A-11/A-15/SO-20 interchange will be. I continued South until Almazán on this lightly travelled freeway (Note that traffic jams are known to occur even in North Korea, so don't compare this with that), then I got off to get on CL-116 East. Upon entering Aragon it becomes the much worse A-116, fortunately this only lasts 2.5 miles until hitting A-2, a so-called 'first generation expressway' which used to be a badly built duplication of N-II until it was rebuilt few years ago. I took it East... but first for only another 2.5 miles, because I exited to Ariza, where I arrived at 9:40 a.m.

After a quick tour (I had already been to Ariza earlier) I hopped back onto A-2 East. I knew it is actually shorter than posted, so I measured it with my car. My measurements shown that A-2 from Ariza to Z-40 near Zaragoza is actually 3.5 miles shorter than what is signposted!!! Since I did this on the closest section to Zaragoza a few weeks before, I decided to stop again in a service area near Épila to post the results to another forum :sombrero:, then I continued to Z-40 beltway, then took the N-330 shortcut (There is no time difference to go on this or continuing to A-23 a couple miles latter) to A-23 North, back to Huesca. I arrived home at 1:00 p.m.

Some quick facts: I averaged a whooping 42 miles per gallon in this trip, using about three quarters of a 12.4 gal tank to go 390 miles. I clinched A-125 West of Ejea, all of NA-125, NA-134 around Tudela, all of N-121-C (except for a mile inside Tudela), SO-20 South of N-122/N-234, A-15 from SO-20 to Almazán, CL-116 East of Almazan, and all of A-116.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.