News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Speed Limit Reduced: I-95 Prince William County

Started by Mapmikey, August 11, 2015, 08:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

It appears the speed limit on I-95 has dropped from 65 to 60 between SR 619 Triangle and the SR 610 overpass where the 65 mph-60 mph transition has been for several years.

This appears to coincide with the 2008 safety corridor description found here - http://www.virginiadot.org/programs/resources/safetycorridorbrochure_updated09.10.08.pdf

New speed limit 60 signs went up SB yesterday just after SR 610.  The next speed limit sign I have been able to see from the HOT lanes is about where the flyover from the HOT lanes to access SR 619 are located.  I have not yet found corresponding signage NB though I am hardly awake when I go through there at 5:10 in the morning...

Mike

Zeffy

Are local police going to enforce this by beefing up patrols in this area? Even with the new signs I'm curious to see if anyone obeys the speed limit on a freeway...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Zeffy on August 11, 2015, 09:22:16 PM
Are local police going to enforce this by beefing up patrols in this area? Even with the new signs I'm curious to see if anyone obeys the speed limit on a freeway...

In Virginia, local law enforcement can, but usually does not, enforce speed limits on freeway-class roads.

It is generally the responsibility of the Virginia State Police.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Zeffy

Ah, I forgot that Virginia has a State Police like New Jersey does. Still, a reduction won't be obeyed unless an example is set showing that you need to slow down or get ticketed.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

74/171FAN

I just had to look up the traffic logs to verify that there was another SR 610(Cardinal Dr) overpass of I-95 up there(the other obviously being Garrisonville Road)).  I have always been surprised at the 65 section lasting all the way up to Dale City for some reason.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

NJRoadfan

Why would it be surprising? NJ has 65 posted on much more urban sections of roads without a problem. If anything lowering the limit on I-95 can be viewed as a revenue grab.

jeffandnicole

"Revenue Grab"

There are so many laws out there that are ignored police could spend every waking moment stopping people if they actually stopped everyone they saw driving illegally with existing rules and laws. 

Mapmikey

The fact that the I-495 Hot Lanes in Virginia have 65 mph limits means any freeway in Virginia probably could.

These lanes have no right shoulders at all for most of it and there is a location on the southbound lanes where an on-ramp from both the left and right meet the lanes at the same location, with a left exit immediately following.  If it is safe to do 65 on these lanes it is safe on any freeway in Virginia...

Mike

74/171FAN

I think my surprise has more to do with the 60 mph sections on I-81 (Roanoke/Salem and Harrisonburg) and I-85 near Petersburg.  65 could definitely suffice on the latter for sure until about a mile south of I-95.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

GamePancakes

Passed by the area and south of Dale City is still 65. At 610, Could it have something to do with the express lanes in that area?

1995hoo

Quote from: 74/171FAN on August 13, 2015, 12:58:38 AM
I think my surprise has more to do with the 60 mph sections on I-81 (Roanoke/Salem and Harrisonburg) and I-85 near Petersburg.  65 could definitely suffice on the latter for sure until about a mile south of I-95.

VDOT's stated position is that the 60-mph zones on I-85 and I-95 are there to "help drivers make the transition" from 65- and 70-mph rural speed limits to 55-mph urban speed limits. I suppose I'll concede that when I used to make regular trips between Durham and Charlotte, it annoyed the heck out of me on the way home when the speed limit abruptly dropped from 70 to 55 southwest of Greensboro.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 25, 2015, 12:52:07 PM

VDOT's stated position is that the 60-mph zones on I-85 and I-95 are there to "help drivers make the transition" from 65- and 70-mph rural speed limits to 55-mph urban speed limits. I suppose I'll concede that when I used to make regular trips between Durham and Charlotte, it annoyed the heck out of me on the way home when the speed limit abruptly dropped from 70 to 55 southwest of Greensboro.

Wasn't there a drop from 65 MPH to 55 MPH (not that bad for cars, more so for trucks) on I-85 northbound approaching the City of Petersburg? 

Maybe approaching U.S. 1 (present-day Exit 63)?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

74/171FAN

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 25, 2015, 07:52:37 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 25, 2015, 12:52:07 PM

Wasn't there a drop from 65 MPH to 55 MPH (not that bad for cars, more so for trucks) on I-85 northbound approaching the City of Petersburg? 

Maybe approaching U.S. 1 (present-day Exit 63)?

I am sure that was the case as it drops from 70(before US 460) to 65 to 60 there now.  Also I will agree that I hate that drop on I-77 southbound from 70 to 55 just before Statesville.

Quote from: GamePancakes on August 25, 2015, 12:24:56 PM

Passed by the area and south of Dale City is still 65. At 610, Could it have something to do with the express lanes in that area?
Drove through there today and FWIW it was still 65(the 65 sign I saw was just past a HOT lane exit and did not have the EZPASS Express Banner over it), maybe it was planned to be dropped to 60 and they just never cared to do the traffic study. 

Also, there was one time when Hopewell tried to drop VA 10 to 25 from the Appomattox River to Winston Churchill Drive (VA 156).  Hopewell did get caught with not doing a traffic study, and it was raised back to 35 with no changes since.

Mapmikey

Quote from: GamePancakes on August 25, 2015, 12:24:56 PM

Much more likely it is due to the truck weigh stations which are VERY busy and in close proximity to Exit 152, although they have opened transition lanes in both directions between the weigh station and the exit.

Nothing about the express lanes is any different than has been in place the last 15 years at that location.

Mike

Mapmikey

The speed limit 60 signs were removed and speed limit 65 signs were re-installed.

I'm guessing these were new replacement 60 signs that were installed on the wrong side of 95 in error.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.