News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Southern California Meet - October or November 2015

Started by sdmichael, August 30, 2015, 08:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdmichael

Hello all,

I'm looking to put together some sort of meet in Southern California before the year is out. We have plenty of bridges, freeway construction, and other things to check out. No date set yet, just looking for interest at this point for either sometime in October or early November.

TheHighwayMan3561

I would love to come. But with that said...this is obviously your meet, and I am only respectfully suggesting this that I think you should push your meet back a few months. 1-2 months is not nearly enough notice for most of us to plan a trip to California.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

oscar

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 31, 2015, 04:52:15 AM
I would love to come. But with that said...this is obviously your meet, and I am only respectfully suggesting this that I think you should push your meet back a few months. 1-2 months is not nearly enough notice for most of us to plan a trip to California.

I basically agree. But if there are enough local attendees to make a meet work, there's room for a short-notice meet geared to them. We've had "mini-meets" that worked like that. Not every meet needs to be available to out-of-staters.

Since I have family in southern California, and like to go hot-springing out there too, I'm a "possible". But more lead time is better for me, too.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

sdmichael

My goal was people from mostly Southern California, as there seems to be a few. If anyone can come from other areas, great. If not, there will be plenty of other opportunities.

hbelkins

SOP for meet announcements used to be one month prior. The last meet I hosted, in Pike County, Ky., was put together and announced with about two month's notice, and it drew more than a dozen attendees from several states. I sorta did it as a spur-of-the-moment thing and it went well.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SSOWorld

Yea but road meets are being hatched left and right now, gotta fight for the spot.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

oscar

Quote from: SSOWorld on September 01, 2015, 01:44:15 PM
Yea but road meets are being hatched left and right now, gotta fight for the spot.

sdmichael doesn't have a lot of competition, either for his location or time of the year. If he sets it for Columbus Day weekend, that'd "conflict" with the Long Island meet, but c'mon.

vdeane

Realistically, having Long Island and Southern CA on the same weekend would only conflict for people with teleporters.  I'm pretty sure that doesn't describe anyone here.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: vdeane on September 01, 2015, 05:19:56 PM
Realistically, having Long Island and Southern CA on the same weekend would only conflict for people with teleporters.  I'm pretty sure that doesn't describe anyone here.

Captain Jean-Luc Picard, at your service. :sombrero:
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jpi

I would be out for both LI meets and this one, I am however getting a little closer to hammering down dates in April 2016 for my central PA meet.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

sdmichael

Gosh... try and get people together and all I seem to get is bitching about timing. Something will always conflict with something else. It really isn't that difficult. I'm thinking it isn't worth the hassle at this point.

Alps

Quote from: sdmichael on September 02, 2015, 12:43:27 AM
Gosh... try and get people together and all I seem to get is bitching about timing. Something will always conflict with something else. It really isn't that difficult. I'm thinking it isn't worth the hassle at this point.
So that's your reaction to one or two people noting that there's not a lot of advance notice. I recommend a chill pill.

sdmichael

Quote from: Alps on September 02, 2015, 12:48:03 AM
So that's your reaction to one or two people noting that there's not a lot of advance notice. I recommend a chill pill.

Yes, that would be my reaction. No longer interested in creating an get-together which seems to only create hassle. It isn't worth it to me. There are other things that are worth my time and effort. Thank you for helping me with my decision.

oscar

If you or someone else want to try again, calling it a "mini-meet" would lower expectations from the outset. We have some meets and meet proposals that are or would be big productions with lots of advance planning -- heck, we've even been toying with a possible Alaska meet, where very few forum members live, for some year later this decade. But "mini-meets" aren't like that at all, with more flexibility on size, regional draw, advance notice, etc.

jpi

Quote from: Alps on September 02, 2015, 12:48:03 AM
I second that, geesh...
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.