Swede wins prize for moose sensor innovation

Started by cpzilliacus, September 14, 2015, 01:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

[Note that the animals referred to in this article as elk are what would be called moose in U.S. English]

TheLocal.se: Swede wins prize for elk sensor innovation

QuoteA Swedish man has won a 'Golden Elk' award for inventing a motion sensor system that could potentially reduce the number of collisions with large wild animals on Swedish roads.

QuoteStockholmer Benjamin Eliasson is set to be awarded the Golden Elk award on Wednesday from Ã,,lgskadefondsföreningen, a non-profit organization working to reduce road accidents in Sweden.
QuoteEliasson is the brains behind an idea that would alert motorists when large wild animals are near roads in some of the more remote parts of Sweden.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Chris

This system is used in Newfoundland.

The Netherlands has such a system at select wildlife crossings where there is no wildlife bridge or underpass:

wildoversteek N346 by European Roads, on Flickr

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Chris on September 14, 2015, 02:59:27 AM
This system is used in Newfoundland.

The Netherlands has such a system at select wildlife crossings where there is no wildlife bridge or underpass:

wildoversteek N346 by European Roads, on Flickr

The U.S. could use these on much of I-95 in Maine, where it crosses some very desolate territory between Bangor and Houlton (I have personally seen moose along that part of I-95).

I suspect it might also be useful on many highways in Alaska, where crashes involving moose are rather common.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.