News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2016 meet calendar?

Started by hbelkins, January 05, 2016, 09:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Once upon a time, there was a calendar for meets. Do we still have such a thing?

There's an emerging possibility that I may get to attend one meet in 2016. I want to choose wisely.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rawmustard

Yes; I've always linked my meets' threads to the forum's calendar, including my latest one.

LGLS990

getemngo

Quote from: rawmustard on January 05, 2016, 11:19:25 PM
Yes; I've always linked my meets' threads to the forum's calendar, including my latest one.

I can't find any links to the calendar, and when I asked in the chat a while ago, I was told by one of the mods that it was phased out because nobody used it. Must be visible only to forum staff now?
~ Sam from Michigan

Duke87

The first post of this thread has a decent list.

It's missing a few established dates, though:
Toronto is June 11
St Louis is July 9-10
Albany is October 8-9

Halifax is probably not happening since no one has volunteered to host it.
Tappan Zee is being done as part of Tuxedo and won't have its own dedicated meet.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on January 12, 2016, 12:04:27 AM
Tappan Zee is being done as part of Tuxedo and won't have its own dedicated meet.

Whoa whoa whoa whoa no one said that.

froggie

News to me too...though I haven't seen any dedicated planning for a Tappan Zee meet, I was under the distinct impression that it was separate from the Tuxedo meet.  And if they ARE combined, you can definitely count me out...

vdeane

I believe it was noelberterva who suggested combining the two meets.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

I may have been inferring it given the inclusion of Tappan Zee viewing in the Tuxedo tour. Very well then, nevermind on that.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on January 12, 2016, 10:49:31 PM
I may have been inferring it given the inclusion of Tappan Zee viewing in the Tuxedo tour. Very well then, nevermind on that.
Tuxedo is a quick look at ongoing progress. If the TZ meet itself happens, I would be trying to get some sort of presentation or tour lined up. They're really each sort of "mini meets" but those don't exist anymore.

froggie

QuoteThey're really each sort of "mini meets" but those don't exist anymore.

Says who?  I just had one last year...

Desert Man

Almost halfway through the year...I can't find any proposed road meets in the western US (I'm in southern CA). We need a "ComicCon" for road geeks like in L.A. or SF for us west coast members. Maybe I can come up with a plan to organize a meeting, but I don't know everyone in AARoads in my state or part of the country.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

hbelkins

Quote from: Desert Man on June 24, 2016, 04:18:17 PM
Almost halfway through the year...I can't find any proposed road meets in the western US (I'm in southern CA). We need a "ComicCon" for road geeks like in L.A. or SF for us west coast members. Maybe I can come up with a plan to organize a meeting, but I don't know everyone in AARoads in my state or part of the country.

If you host (and post) it, they will come.

In the inaugural days of meets, when we relied on MTR and the Yahoo groups to publicize them, no one really knew anyone else then either. How do you think so many roadgeeks got to be such great friends?

Having said that, it does seem that the west coast has been under-represented in terms of the number of meets, especially since there appears to be a large number of roadgeeks who live in that part of the country.

But I'm getting perilously close to admitting there's an East Coast Hive Mind among the roadgeek community.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

That East Coast Hive Mind thing does appear to be true.  The main meet area appears to be centered around the DC-NYC corridor, with another area in the midwest, approximately Ohio and Michigan, and the occasional meet outside these areas.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TheHighwayMan3561

We had a guy who suggested a SoCal meet last year, but then bizarrely ragequit the idea when a couple posters (politely) discussed the lack of advance notice he had proposed.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.