News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most frequently photographed sign or assembly?

Started by hbelkins, September 05, 2016, 02:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

After having seen someone post a new photo of the old TN 99 sign in Hohenwald over the weekend, I got to wondering -- what sign or assembly has been photographed the most?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

briantroutman

If you're talking specifically about signs photographed by roadgeeks for roadgeeking purposes, I'm not sure what the answer might be, although there are a number of good candidates that subsequent posts will surely mention.

But in absolute terms–total number of photos taken by anyone–and assuming we're including only DOT-installed signs (excluding things like "Welcome to Las Vegas"  and the Beverly Hills shield signs), my guess would be something involving tourists who are inclined to take pictures of everything. Perhaps one of the exits listing Disney World on I-4 or some L.A.-area freeway sign that lists Los Angeles or Hollywood as the control city.

Avalanchez71

The US 1 END sign in Key West, FL is probably ranked high.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: hbelkins on September 05, 2016, 02:28:37 PM
After having seen someone post a new photo of the old TN 99 sign in Hohenwald over the weekend, I got to wondering -- what sign or assembly has been photographed the most?

That TN 99 is still there as of a couple of weeks ago as well.

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

hbelkins

I'm thinking among roadgeeks, for roadgeeky purposes.

formulanone

We'd have to create some sort of census if who has what famous signs in their photo stacks. Otherwise, you have to imagine there's a great deal of overlap between roadgeeks and people who just want a photo of a "famous" sign...and just who is and who isn't a roadgeek?

"US 1 End / Mile 0" probably ranks right up there in both categories, as well as many state border signs.

TENN 99 would be far up the list among our membership, or maybe that US 67 between the Quad Cities on the Centennial Bridge? The state-named US 2 sign in the UP?

If mob-rule is anything go by, the most visited county is Cook County, Illinois...

Quote from: kurumi on September 06, 2016, 01:04:43 AM
... or a sign with some novelty value, like this one in Michigan (linkbaity Google Image Search)

Oooh, oooh...mine is fifth on the list!

Avalanchez71

There was a TENN US 31E sign on Gallatin Pike in Madison TN that made it all the into the 90s.  I wish I took a photo of it.  I haven't seen it so I would say that it is long gone.

TR69

The sign in Ocean City, Maryland at the beginning of US 50 WB that shows the mileage to Sacramento as 3073 miles is fairly popular (I suppose the one in Sacramento showing the distance to Ocean City is, too.)

peperodriguez2710

I would like to add the US-66 shield, which is famous worldwide; and, outside the States, maybe the kangaroo warning signs of Australia.

Avalanchez71

Are there any US 66 signs that were not removed hanging around?  I would assume that someone would have stole any remaining shields.

TravelingBethelite

Which thread was this?
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Alps

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 09, 2016, 12:21:34 PM
Are there any US 66 signs that were not removed hanging around?  I would assume that someone would have stole any remaining shields.
Not free standing but as part of green guide signs.
I think the old US 10 cutout in Detroit is up there.

Ian

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on September 09, 2016, 12:21:34 PM

There's this Business Loop I-40/US 66 unisign along Central Avenue in Albuquerque that I found last month. According to Jake, it's from before 1985, so it's old enough to date back to US 66.

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

hbelkins

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on September 09, 2016, 12:51:05 PM

Which thread was this?

On Facebook -- I think the "Historic Road Signs" group.

Scott5114

Quote from: TR69 on September 07, 2016, 12:12:25 PM
The sign in Ocean City, Maryland at the beginning of US 50 WB that shows the mileage to Sacramento as 3073 miles is fairly popular (I suppose the one in Sacramento showing the distance to Ocean City is, too.)

I would guess the one in Baltimore showing the distance to Cove Fort, UT is probably more often photographed.

Don't forget the oddity signs like the blank interstate shields in Madison or the three/four number Interstate shields in St. Louis. Those are well-known enough that I'd guess a decent number of roadgeeks that are in the area make detours to see (and photograph) them, even if they've seen photos before.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TEG24601

I would suspect that the signs on I-5 through Seattle around the I-90 interchange would technically be correct, as they are in those pictures often used as stock footage/photography of Interstates/Freeways.

They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

noelbotevera

Wait, what TENN 99 sign is it? I'm still trying to find it.

formulanone

Quote from: noelbotevera on September 23, 2016, 04:21:58 PM
Wait, what TENN 99 sign is it? I'm still trying to find it.

It's thought to be the last known "TENN" sign in the state; thus, it dates back before triangle state-route signs denoted secondary routes.

The Great Zo

The sign in Ocean City, Maryland at the beginning of US 50 WB that shows the mileage to Sacramento as 3073 miles is fairly popular

Just got that a couple weeks ago, and was aided by a well-timed drawbridge raising that allowed me to walk right out to it.

andy3175

Quote from: The Great Zo on September 25, 2016, 12:29:11 AM
The sign in Ocean City, Maryland at the beginning of US 50 WB that shows the mileage to Sacramento as 3073 miles is fairly popular

Just got that a couple weeks ago, and was aided by a well-timed drawbridge raising that allowed me to walk right out to it.

Shouldn't that sign say "West Sacramento Ca 3073"? Technically, US 50 ends in the city of West Sacramento, not Sacramento.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

noelbotevera

Quote from: andy3175 on September 29, 2016, 12:07:14 AM
Quote from: The Great Zo on September 25, 2016, 12:29:11 AM

Shouldn't that sign say "West Sacramento Ca 3073"? Technically, US 50 ends in the city of West Sacramento, not Sacramento.
Also, it doesn't reflect US 50's truncation from the Bay Area. The western sign has this error too. I believe it should be 3010 or so.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.