News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Solar eclipse 2017

Started by hbelkins, October 02, 2016, 08:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: hbelkins on August 15, 2017, 02:54:49 PM
Looks like my plans are made. If things go as expected, I'll be meeting my brother in London, Ky. and riding down with him to Watts Bar Dam in Tennessee. His second option is a Walmart parking lot somewhere, and his third option is a church parking lot somewhere. We're going to spend the night somewhere near Oak Ridge Monday night and the next day he (we, if my knee is still cooperating) will tour the Oak Ridge nuclear facility.

I'm going to take a video camera and record the eclipse. Any tips on how best to accomplish this?

I think it would be difficult with the average video camera, but there are some articles online --

https://eclipse.aas.org/imaging-video/images-videos
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-take-video-of-a-solar-eclipse-advice-from-the-experts/

I would do research on my camera before pointing it at the sun, as to what filter might be needed to prevent damage to the camera.  During totality the filter would not be needed.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jpi

Quote from: cl94 on August 14, 2017, 10:08:47 PM
Quote from: empirestate on August 14, 2017, 03:05:54 PM
Although with the latest weather reports, I'm wondering if it isn't better to head east rather than west?

I'm moving west of my original location in SC to central TN. Better weather out that way, even if it means we have to fight for a spot.
Where in middle TN? MY wife and I are both off that day and plan to venture up to south central KY (at our own risk) but are open with our plans.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

noelbotevera

Quote from: jpi on August 15, 2017, 07:09:05 PM
Quote from: cl94 on August 14, 2017, 10:08:47 PM
Quote from: empirestate on August 14, 2017, 03:05:54 PM
Although with the latest weather reports, I'm wondering if it isn't better to head east rather than west?

I'm moving west of my original location in SC to central TN. Better weather out that way, even if it means we have to fight for a spot.
Where in middle TN? MY wife and I are both off that day and plan to venture up to south central KY (at our own risk) but are open with our plans.
I'm also planning to head down to central TN (specifically somewhere along TN 25, maybe Gallatin). I'll be traveling up from Louisville that day.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

cl94

I'll probably be hanging out at a Walmart parking lot somewhere between Franklin, KY and Gallatin, TN. Can't really scout a place out ahead of time and that's somewhere that will have bathrooms.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jpi

Well here is some advise guys  :nod:, Franklin, KY and Gallatin, TN both have Wal-marts, Gallatin is bigger then Franklin, on a road geek side you will see the TN 109\ I-65 interchange construction and the 6 lane widening of 65 is coming along very nicely, also Franklin has a nice Flying J truck stop, again my wife and I plan on driving up 109 roughly mid morning, if you guys want, we could all meet up  :bigass:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

oscar

I'm going to take a video camera and record the eclipse. Any tips on how best to accomplish this?

My photographer friends remind that staring at the sun (except when totally eclipsed) will fry unprotected camera sensors as well as retinas, and so your camera should get similar protection as your eyes.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

02 Park Ave

Does aiming at the sun affect cameras using film or just digitals?
C-o-H

Beltway

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on August 15, 2017, 11:29:21 PM

Depends on the camera, and the size of the lens, as to how much heating would take place.

Unless I was sure about the potential impacts, I would not point any camera at the sun.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: froggie on August 15, 2017, 07:28:57 AM
Those of you who are changing locations based on the forecast, it is in my professional meteorological opinion that you should wait until at least Friday to do so (if not the weekend).  While forecasts are now in the range where they're better than climatology (as I mentioned earlier), best accuracy will be within 72 hours.

It is not in my power to question a professional meteorologist's reasoning, but here is an alternate weather update some of you might want to check out... https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/where-will-clouds-foil-big-eclipse
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

jdb1234

Right now I am planning to overnight in Atlanta Sunday and drive up to Clayton, GA early Monday morning to visit family.

noelbotevera

Quote from: jpi on August 15, 2017, 09:04:03 PM
Well here is some advise guys  :nod:, Franklin, KY and Gallatin, TN both have Wal-marts, Gallatin is bigger then Franklin, on a road geek side you will see the TN 109\ I-65 interchange construction and the 6 lane widening of 65 is coming along very nicely, also Franklin has a nice Flying J truck stop, again my wife and I plan on driving up 109 roughly mid morning, if you guys want, we could all meet up  :bigass:
Fine with that. It depends on where I'm going though, since I have four hotels booked.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

hbelkins

Quote from: oscar on August 15, 2017, 11:07:48 PM

My photographer friends remind that staring at the sun (except when totally eclipsed) will fry unprotected camera sensors as well as retinas, and so your camera should get similar protection as your eyes.

Not quite sure how to do that, and also, wouldn't that ruin the look of the video? Whatever shading the protection offers would also affect the appearance of the video to be not exactly what one would see with the naked eye.

Have there actually been reports of people being blinded while looking at an eclipse? I remember one many, many years ago (only partial in this area) and I actually looked at the sun with no ill effects.

It's been said that you can actually look at the sun without glasses while it's at totality.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

HazMatt

Quote from: hbelkins on August 16, 2017, 05:49:39 PM

Not quite sure how to do that, and also, wouldn't that ruin the look of the video? Whatever shading the protection offers would also affect the appearance of the video to be not exactly what one would see with the naked eye.

Have there actually been reports of people being blinded while looking at an eclipse? I remember one many, many years ago (only partial in this area) and I actually looked at the sun with no ill effects.

It's been said that you can actually look at the sun without glasses while it's at totality.

Blindness is overstated, but it can cause temporary and sometimes permanent damage to the retina.  It's dangerous because your retinas don't have pain receptors.  You don't know you're doing any damage until it's too late.  My understanding is that during a partial eclipse it's a lot easier to look directly at the sun; you won't need to blink much and your pupils won't constrict as much.  It won't bother you like it normally does to look directly at the sun, but it's still just as damaging.  For a lot of people vision will go back to normal after a few minutes/hours, but it can be a permanent thing.
Looking at it while at totality is fine, but that's only a couple minutes.

formulanone

There's some ways around it.

https://digital-photography-school.com/how-photograph-solar-eclipse/
https://photographylife.com/how-to-photograph-a-solar-eclipse
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/tips-and-solutions/how-photograph-solar-eclipse

1) Take the camera off automatic ISO, so it doesn't overexpose the image (and the sensor). Go with the absolutely lowest number possible, although you will probably have to increase it the moment the sky gets dark.

2) Even the nicest equipment will need a tripod to keep the camera steady in low light, and because you might be zooming in, you'll probably want a tripod or very steady surface. Perhaps an auto shutter setting?

3) Use a very narrow aperture. They're suggesting f/8 to f/11. I'm no expert, but I think I'd even go smaller than that to prevent the risk...f/13, 16 would be a better guarantee. But since you're pointing the camera essentially at the infinity scale of the focusing range, it might not be necessary.

4) Filter the heck out of the lens opening. I've seen numbers as low as -7.0 to even -15.0 exposure stops. I think combining every filter that I own might net me a -3 or -4, and the camera will drop down another 5 stops. Too many filters will probably blur the image, I'm guessing.

5) Don't use the rangefinder eyepiece, if it's not an SLR. This probably covers most point-and-shoots, unless they're digital viewfinders.

6) I think in a jiffy, a pinhole (literally, a pin-made hole) covering might do the trick, as would just putting the eclipse lens covering.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

tdindy88

I just found out that I could take this Monday off and was interested in seeing the total eclipse and maybe do a little travel on the roads. I want leave from Indianapolis in the morning, take SR 37 and I-69 down to Evansville and take I-69 all the way through Kentucky toward Paducah. I then want to take US 60 to the northeast back toward Henderson and along the way stop in a smaller community to see the eclipse before finishing along US 60 at Henderson and heading back home via I-69. I'm assuming that Paducah might be busy so I'm thinking of maybe going as far as US 68 before heading north to US 60. Any thoughts on this plan?

WillWeaverRVA

It would affect both equally. Intense sunlight can damage both digital camera sensors and film, and either one will damage your eyes if you look through the viewfinder directly at the sun without a solar filter.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

MisterSG1

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on August 17, 2017, 11:02:34 AM

It would affect both equally. Intense sunlight can damage both digital camera sensors and film, and either one will damage your eyes if you look through the viewfinder directly at the sun without a solar filter.

Yup, you are right, during a public viewing of the Transit of Venus back in 2012, there was someone who foolishly attempted to point a camera at the sun to get a shot, it did damage to the lenses needless to day.

The way I see it with this eclipse, there's a big one passing over my area in 2024, and well, I'd be better off just waiting for that one, the totality will also be longer for the upcoming 2024 eclipse.

froggie

^ My thought as well.  Logistics just don't work for me to rush south for this one (I have commitments this weekend), so I'll just wait for the 2024 eclipse that'll be much closer to New England.

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on August 17, 2017, 12:49:26 PM
^ My thought as well.  Logistics just don't work for me to rush south for this one (I have commitments this weekend), so I'll just wait for the 2024 eclipse that'll be much closer to New England.

One of my sites currently has a forecast of "Sunny", and the other "PM Thunderstorms".

If I get a marginal forecast the day before, I will have to decide whether a 400+ mile trip is worth the risk of the eclipse being clouded out; that would be a huge disappointment, as astronomy is one of the major interests that I have had since about 8 years old.

Maybe I should look at it for the road trip value, which would be considerable by itself, as justification to make the trip if the forecast is marginal. 

Actually all you need is about 10 minutes on either side of totality, of clear sky around the sun, to achieve about 90% of the overall spectacle.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

My digital camera has a LCD viewfinder, not an optical one. I'd think that would be safe to view it through. The little video camera I'm planning to use has one as well. It's also selling on eBay for about $15-20 now, and in fact I bought one a few weeks ago after the old model I had quit working. If the video camera bites the dust, it should be easy to replace.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MisterSG1

Quote from: Beltway on August 17, 2017, 01:21:50 PM
Quote from: froggie on August 17, 2017, 12:49:26 PM

One of my sites currently has a forecast of "Sunny", and the other "PM Thunderstorms".

If I get a marginal forecast the day before, I will have to decide whether a 400+ mile trip is worth the risk of the eclipse being clouded out; that would be a huge disappointment, as astronomy is one of the major interests that I have had since about 8 years old.

Maybe I should look at it for the road trip value, which would be considerable by itself, as justification to make the trip if the forecast is marginal. 

Actually all you need is about 10 minutes on either side of totality, of clear sky around the sun, to achieve about 90% of the overall spectacle.

So out of curiosity, did you see the 2012 Venus Transit? Well of course you'd need to have access to a telescope, but did you do anything for that event?

JJBers

Well, it says we'll be having a clear day in Southern New England...of a course we're only getting 70% of the eclipse at 2:45 pm.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

MisterSG1

Quote from: JJBers on August 17, 2017, 07:12:18 PM
Well, it says we'll be having a clear day in Southern New England...of a course we're only getting 70% of the eclipse at 2:45 pm.

Well you should look forward to the one in 2024 then. These are a big deal, because this is the first major eclipse I remember at all since the May 1994 eclipse where Toronto was under an annular eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.