News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Solar eclipse 2017

Started by hbelkins, October 02, 2016, 08:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on August 11, 2017, 09:19:49 PM
Quote from: Alps on August 10, 2017, 09:44:00 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 10, 2017, 09:11:46 PM
Quote from: Beltway on August 10, 2017, 09:08:29 PM
How far are you from the center of totality?  Two hours?  If so just leave early that morning and you should be fine.

More like five hours, and that's in normal traffic, not the gridlock that's anticipated for that day.

But, I mentioned the possibility of working the eclipse (which is now off the table for me). That would require reporting to the EOC in Hopkinsville at 6 a.m. and staying until post-eclipse traffic has cleared. Which would have necessitated an overnight stay for me of at least one night's duration; most likely two nights.
I feel like you won't find horribly choked traffic on the myriad backroads of Kentucky, but that would certainly impact your travel time regardless.

True. Lots of folks won't know how to process a four-digit route in the 2000- or 3000-series.

Quote from: Beltway on August 10, 2017, 11:48:12 PM
How about Madisonville, TN ... how far is that from where you live?

Also about five hours. And unfortunately, there's no "68 TENN" triangle marker there anymore to photograph during the eclipse.

Quote from: empirestate on August 11, 2017, 12:18:31 PM
Oh, I ended up going with Terre Haute, not appreciably farther from the eclipse zone than Indy.

Where are you going to try to travel to from Terre Haute? There's a large group of people who are planning to drive down to Hopkinsville from Evansville. They're leaving around 5 or 6 in the morning and they have concerns they may not make it in time. There are some estimates that what is normally a 90-minute drive could take 4 or more hours, they're expecting THAT much traffic.
Oh, no no no. No one wakes up around 5 or 6 AM. I've learned that no matter how dire travel predictions are, as long as you're at your destination by 8 you're fine.

empirestate

Quote from: empirestate on August 11, 2017, 12:18:31 PM
Oh, I ended up going with Terre Haute, not appreciably farther from the eclipse zone than Indy.

Where are you going to try to travel to from Terre Haute? There's a large group of people who are planning to drive down to Hopkinsville from Evansville. They're leaving around 5 or 6 in the morning and they have concerns they may not make it in time. There are some estimates that what is normally a 90-minute drive could take 4 or more hours, they're expecting THAT much traffic.

Marshall, MO (but staying near Sedalia). And I'll have all of Sunday to make that leg, so I'm not concerned. :-)

US 41

I think I am going to go to Goreville, IL to see the eclipse.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

renegade

I've booked a room for two nights in Somerset, KY for next  Sunday and Monday for less than fifty dollars per night.  I am going to leave early in the morning with intention to arrive in Spring City, TN in time for the eclipse.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Beltway

Quote from: Beltway on August 10, 2017, 11:48:12 PM
How about Madisonville, TN ... how far is that from where you live?
Also about five hours. And unfortunately, there's no "68 TENN" triangle marker there anymore to photograph during the eclipse.

That is where I will be, assuming a good weather forecast.  Along with a couple other amateur astronomers from Richmond, and some specialized observing gear.  At a secluded but publically accessible site.  You can contact me via e-mail if you are interested and want to know the details.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

hbelkins

My brother has expressed a desire to go to somewhere in Tennessee to view it. I may ride down with him.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ZLoth

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

empirestate

Quote from: ZLoth on August 13, 2017, 10:21:34 AM
Here is the first weather forecast from the Washington Post.

Yeah, my area doesn't look so good according to that. However, historical averages are quite favorable, and specific forecasts for that city and date are showing clear skies. The simple truth is, it's still too early to know.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: empirestate on August 13, 2017, 01:42:54 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on August 13, 2017, 10:21:34 AM
Here is the first weather forecast from the Washington Post.

Yeah, my area doesn't look so good according to that. However, historical averages are quite favorable, and specific forecasts for that city and date are showing clear skies. The simple truth is, it's still too early to know.

Yeah, both the spot I'm going and where I live (the latter being outside the path of totality) are both in that red-shaded blob. But yes, it's a week from tomorrow, which is still too far out to know for certain.

SSOWorld

forecasts that far out are never reliable - ever.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

oscar

Quote from: SSOWorld on August 13, 2017, 06:57:57 PM

Some friends are flying out from D.C. to central Oregon, for a pricey photographer-club campout near Bend. That's in the rain shadow of a mountain range, and has more dependable clear weather than western Oregon.

I'm still planning on avoiding the totality path by a wide margin, though still working out how to get from northern California to far northern Idaho by eclipse day.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Brandon

I'm just going to stay near home.  It's 90% totality anyway, & I'll see another close by in a few years.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Jim

Headed out tomorrow for a 5-6 day leisurely ride to get to Omaha by Saturday.  We'll use a friend's house there as a base to get into good position somewhere within several hours drive that has the best shot at good weather.  Ideally looking at Beatrice.  Hoping we'll be far enough from most population centers that traffic won't be horrible.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

SSOWorld

Quote from: Jim on August 13, 2017, 10:13:34 PM
Headed out tomorrow for a 5-6 day leisurely ride to get to Omaha by Saturday.  We'll use a friend's house there as a base to get into good position somewhere within several hours drive that has the best shot at good weather.  Ideally looking at Beatrice.  Hoping we'll be far enough from most population centers that traffic won't be horrible.
You might meet a couple of folk from the road world there (maybe three?). I'm basing in Grand Island.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

froggie

Quote from: SSOWorld on August 13, 2017, 06:57:57 PM

We're inside of 10 days now.  Which means, statistically, forecasts will generally be better than relying on climatology.  So I'd say we're inside a general forecast window, though I wouldn't place any "hard bets" until we get to the weekend.

empirestate

Quote from: SSOWorld on August 13, 2017, 11:02:42 PM
Quote from: Jim on August 13, 2017, 10:13:34 PM
You might meet a couple of folk from the road world there (maybe three?). I'm basing in Grand Island.

Yeah, Beatrice is my early choice for a backup location. Seems to be the best-organized community within a morning's drive of Missouri.

TravelingBethelite

I'm staying at home for this one (unfortunately) but I can't complain too much because we're in 60-70% totality...
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

US 81

Beatrice and Grand Island are on my short list, too.

empirestate

Although with the latest weather reports, I'm wondering if it isn't better to head east rather than west?

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on August 14, 2017, 03:05:54 PM
Although with the latest weather reports, I'm wondering if it isn't better to head east rather than west?

I'm moving west of my original location in SC to central TN. Better weather out that way, even if it means we have to fight for a spot.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

empirestate

Quote from: cl94 on August 14, 2017, 10:08:47 PM
Quote from: empirestate on August 14, 2017, 03:05:54 PM

I'm moving west of my original location in SC to central TN. Better weather out that way, even if it means we have to fight for a spot.

Oh, I meant from my planned location of Marshall, MO. It looks as if the systems that may produce clouds there are also in play over Nebraska, whereas the Paducah forecast office already has good confidence of clear skies.

CNGL-Leudimin

Lucky yours. I sit at the very end of the eclipse. However (and assuming I don't move out in the next 9 years) I'll be just outside the totality path of the August 12, 2026 eclipse.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

froggie

Those of you who are changing locations based on the forecast, it is in my professional meteorological opinion that you should wait until at least Friday to do so (if not the weekend).  While forecasts are now in the range where they're better than climatology (as I mentioned earlier), best accuracy will be within 72 hours.

empirestate

Quote from: froggie on August 15, 2017, 07:28:57 AM
Those of you who are changing locations based on the forecast, it is in my professional meteorological opinion that you should wait until at least Friday to do so (if not the weekend).  While forecasts are now in the range where they're better than climatology (as I mentioned earlier), best accuracy will be within 72 hours.

Yes, at this point I'm just considering alternate locations should a change become necessary. An actual decision won't be made until Saturday, at the earliest.

hbelkins

Looks like my plans are made. If things go as expected, I'll be meeting my brother in London, Ky. and riding down with him to Watts Bar Dam in Tennessee. His second option is a Walmart parking lot somewhere, and his third option is a church parking lot somewhere. We're going to spend the night somewhere near Oak Ridge Monday night and the next day he (we, if my knee is still cooperating) will tour the Oak Ridge nuclear facility.

I'm going to take a video camera and record the eclipse. Any tips on how best to accomplish this?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.