News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-16 on contraflow ahead of hurricane.

Started by ARMOURERERIC, October 06, 2016, 10:24:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARMOURERERIC

Just read that all of I-16 is WB only to MM 38 to evac Savannah.

jeffandnicole

Does that mean they're finally using the gates on 95 at 16?

Mapmikey

I-26 was also on contraflow yesterday from Charleston to I-77

Avalanchez71

It has been some time since I have been on that strech of highway.  Are the Eastbound lanes through lanes or can you exit at each exit?

lordsutch

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on October 06, 2016, 11:30:44 AM
It has been some time since I have been on that strech of highway.  Are the Eastbound lanes through lanes or can you exit at each exit?

From GDOT:

QuoteTravelers may exit contraflow lanes (traveling WB on regularly EB lanes) at designated interchanges at:
Exit 143 @ SR 30 / US 280
Exit 116 @ SR 73 / US 301
Exit 104 @SR 23 / SR 21
Exit 90 @ SR 4 / US 1
Exit 71 @SR 15 / SR 78
Exit 67 @ SR 29
Exit 51 @ SR 31 / US 319 / US 441
All other exits are closed within the contraflow section.

According to Google things are pretty backed up approaching the end of the contraflow (from roughly exit 58 west to exit 38) and west of exit 12. I-75 is also pretty backed up south of Locust Grove up though McDonough.

Avalanchez71

I guess they haven't heard of US 80 or US 280 for that matter.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on October 06, 2016, 05:55:07 PM
I guess they haven't heard of US 80 or US 280 for that matter.

You're making a lot of assumptions that these alternate routes are moving ok. Taking a quick look, I-16 is moving well except at the end point. Those other routes probably have slower speed limits and congestion in the towns they go thru.  The interstate highways are designated evacuation routes.

Avalanchez71

lordsutch

US 80 isn't going to help evacuees much because US 80 through Dublin is a slog and they still have to get across the Ocmulgee in Macon. Looking at the maps probably the best option to avoid the worst of the traffic is to give Dublin and Macon a wide berth and cross the Ocmulgee at Hawkinsville via US 341 or get up somehow to I-20 and head west from there.

Avalanchez71

US 80 will get you started West.  One doesn't have to stay on it all way to Dublin.

lordsutch

The part of I-16 east of Dublin isn't backed up so there's no point avoiding it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.