News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Matthew hits the Maritimes and Newfoundland

Started by ghYHZ, October 12, 2016, 05:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghYHZ

The remnants of "Matthew"  stormed into the Maritimes and Newfoundland on Monday causing extensive damage to infrastructure......and a particularly bad day too as it was the Thanksgiving Holiday with heavy traffic.

The Trans Canada Highway was severed in Terra Nova National Park halting east-west traffic across  Newfoundland, There is no alternate route to cross the province. Some vehicles did use portions of the abandoned railway.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/states-of-emergencies-rainstorm-aftermath-1.3799472

And between mainland Nova Scotia and Cape Breton.....oneway traffic was being escourted  across the Canso Causeway by a  plow to clear boulders washed up onto the highway roadbed,.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/power-outages-affecting-about-50-000-in-nova-scotia-1.3799440

The Confederation to Prince Edward Island also had high sided vehicle restrictions.

SignGeek101

Heard there were quite a few roads washed out and flooding. Not as bad as it got in the States, but still a mess for people out there. Hopefully everything is back up and running within a reasonable time frame.

leroys73

Wow!  I sure didn't expect them to get hit that hard.

I live in Texas.  However, I was up there 2 months ago (read Newfoundland Trip Rescheduled/misadventure, Oct 6, 2016 post).  I met so many great people.  I ended up spending a few days in the Sydney Regional Hospital with a broken leg, great care.  Then a few more days in a hotel for more recovery before heading home, thus, meeting some more great people. 

After such close interaction with the citizens of the area I feel as though it is my family suffering. I pray for all.  Also, hope all the bridges and roads are repaired quickly.
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.