News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I80 east

Started by ddurbin1008@gmail.com, February 22, 2017, 09:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddurbin1008@gmail.com

I need some info about I 80 and ask if there are any shortcuts to get around the peaks of  Three Sisters without going all the way to the top.  Hope somebody out there can give me some help....

Signed....scared to drive to NE on it but have to....

NE2

Ford the river. But first insure your oxen.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

corco

I think the answer to your question is that I-80 is the shortcut?

Max Rockatansky

I-80 covers a lot of states and the only "Three Sisters" I know anywhere near it is in California, specifically Siskiyou County out near Lava Beds National Monument:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/41%C2%B044'41.0%22N+121%C2%B028'24.0%22W/@41.7447222,-121.613409,11z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d41.7447222!4d-121.4733333?hl=en

But that is pretty far to the north...or at least a couple hours away....so what are you trying to ask?  :eyebrow:

compdude787

The only "Three Sisters" I know of is the triplet of mountains in Oregon just west of Bend.

coatimundi

The only "Three Sisters" I know of is in the Canadian Rockies.

BTW, what's your email address?

compdude787

I love how many different locations we're coming up with for the "Three Sisters."

vdeane

Given the thread icon, I think the OP means somewhere in Wyoming.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

coatimundi

Quote from: vdeane on February 24, 2017, 05:47:55 PM

There's three sisters outside of Laramie. They'll take care of ya...

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: coatimundi on February 24, 2017, 06:15:13 PM
Quote from: vdeane on February 24, 2017, 05:47:55 PM

There's three sisters outside of Laramie. They'll take care of ya...

Maybe that's what the OP is scared about?...maybe "going all the way to the top" was just a figure of speech?  :rolleyes:  Incidentally why would someone from Mirden of all places be concerned about mountain driving with Tahoe and the associated roadways nearby?

andy3175

Along with the other three sisters mentioned above, the three sisters in Wyoming are the summits along I-80 east of Evanston and west of Ft Bridger/Lyman. The freeway widens to three lanes (truck climbing lane) for some of the long ascents to the tops of these summits. In winter, they can be icy and thus difficult to traverse. Having driven on this road on black ice and with tire chains, I can relate to difficulties passing through this section of freeway in the winter.

Getting back to the original question, I am not aware of any viable alternative route to this section of Interstate 80 ... maybe U.S. 30, but you would have to travel north on Wyoming 89 from Evanston to make that connection. Usually if the three sisters are difficult to traverse, getting through the Wasatch Front and Parley's Summit on I-80 is also difficult.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

US 89

The only Three Sisters I knew of are in Monument Valley. But Google shows that there's also another Three Sisters east of Provo UT.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on February 22, 2017, 09:53:51 PM

Just make sure you don't die of dysentery.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Henry

Quote from: Brandon on August 08, 2017, 01:01:54 PM

Gotta love those Oregon Trail references! That was one of my favorite games growing up...
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

aboges26

Quote from: Henry on August 09, 2017, 09:48:39 AM
Quote from: Brandon on August 08, 2017, 01:01:54 PM

Gotta love those Oregon Trail references! That was one of my favorite games growing up...

And it can still be one of your favorite games: https://classicreload.com/the-oregon-trail-deluxe-1992.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.