News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Caltrans advertises a major signing project for San Diego (District 11)

Started by J N Winkler, April 10, 2017, 08:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

Caltrans has just today advertised a major project to replace overhead guide signs in District 11, in what looks like the San Diego urbanized area.  The engineer's estimate is $7.5 million and there are 206 sign panel detail sheets.

Plans:

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/esc/oe/project_ads_addenda/11/11-419114/plans/

Specifications (Caltrans now no longer puts these in the same directory tree as the plans):

http://www.dot.ca.gov/des/oe/weekly-ads/specs-ntb.php?c=11-419114
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

andy3175

Interesting to see increased use of control cities on some of these signs, such as "I-805 South Chula Vista" at the 5/805 split and "SR 52 East Santee" or "SR 52 West La Jolla." Exit numbers are fairly prominent in these replacements. Many of these signs appear to match what is already in the field. I wonder why they'd want to replace the signs on SR 905, since so many of them are relatively new. I guess we'll see.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Sub-Urbanite

AMLNet49

Still no Interstate shields for 905? Thought federal approval was given conditionally based on them finishing the freeway which they did. Could be wrong though, I don't follow California that closely. Or do you have to build first, then apply? Because at this rate those signs on I-5 with the Interstate shields covered up might be removed before the covers do

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.