News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Doggos and Puppers

Started by 7/8, May 01, 2017, 10:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jakeroot on August 03, 2017, 03:56:26 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 03, 2017, 12:13:53 PM
They don't want high schoolers to get [cigarettes] or [alcohol].

If the drinking age, like most smoking ages, was 18, that would exclude most people in high school except those in their senior years. I was 18 from December until I graduated in mid-June.
They could pass it along to younger friends.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

cjk374

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 03, 2017, 05:38:07 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on August 03, 2017, 05:17:56 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 03, 2017, 04:07:00 PM

If the drinking age, like most smoking ages, was 18, that would exclude most people in high school except those in their senior years. I was 18 from December until I graduated in mid-June.

Hell I used to go over the border to Canada and drink before I was 21.  I want to say Ontario the legal purchase age is 19?  Nobody really thought it was a big deal on the Canadian side.

My first drink in North America was at a Moxie's Grill and Bar in Edmonton, AB (first real drink was three months prior in Guildford, England). I was 18 for both. The drinking age in BC is 19, but 18 in AB.

Mine was when I was 13 at a family house party.  My dad who ironically didn't drink thought it would be a good idea to learn how to do it responsibly.  Throughout high school my brother and I would have beers at home with my Dad as we watched sports.  I'm pretty sure none of it was legal but it was never a big deal.  Probably actually was the reason I was never a heavy drinker during my college days, it just wasn't a big thing.  Weird how in the US there is such a hard line stance on 21 being this threshold of adulthood...just in name only. 

Hell sonny, back when I was a young whipper snapper, getting laid was your entry into manhood.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 03, 2017, 05:38:07 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on August 03, 2017, 05:17:56 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 03, 2017, 04:07:00 PM

Hell I used to go over the border to Canada and drink before I was 21.  I want to say Ontario the legal purchase age is 19?  Nobody really thought it was a big deal on the Canadian side.

My first drink in North America was at a Moxie's Grill and Bar in Edmonton, AB (first real drink was three months prior in Guildford, England). I was 18 for both. The drinking age in BC is 19, but 18 in AB.

Mine was when I was 13 at a family house party.  My dad who ironically didn't drink thought it would be a good idea to learn how to do it responsibly.  Throughout high school my brother and I would have beers at home with my Dad as we watched sports.  I'm pretty sure none of it was legal but it was never a big deal.  Probably actually was the reason I was never a heavy drinker during my college days, it just wasn't a big thing.  Weird how in the US there is such a hard line stance on 21 being this threshold of adulthood...just in name only.

I thought we were talking about drinking outside of the house. Here in Washington, there are a lot of exceptions. Drinking at home is legal with adult permission. Drinking for religious purposes at a church is legal. The second is how I first got a taste of alcohol. Wine in communion. Some church's use an alternative, like juice, but mine didn't screw around. I think I was like 7 or 8  :-D

Nowadays, I almost never drink. Only at get-togethers. And even then, I'm drinking lightly. Probably the result of an early introduction (much like you). I'm more of a liquor guy FWIW.

Max Rockatansky

Hell I'm with in the same decade as cjk374, more or less right on that line where things starting transitioning from Gen-X parenting to Millenials.  For what it's worth we were allowed to get away with a whole lot more than most kids do back in those days, for good or bad.  We had a large property and got to actually drive when I was 9 so I could help out around the house.  Essentially if I stayed off the main roadways the parents, neighbors, or even county sheriff were okay with things.  Generally we stayed out as long as we wanted and left the house all the time. I want to say that California even had a law that nobody under 13 can be left unattended in a house?...geeze we were doing that at 5. 

As for the statute for private premis alcohol consumption in Michigan, it could have been anything in the 1980s.  There was some pretty loose laws back in those days which would be considered "child endangerment" now.  The beer, liquor, and even wine were really just part of growing up...almost everyone I knew from middle school up smoked heavily also, especially at school lunch. 

Wasn't it fairly recently the 21 years requirement was enacted on the Federal level?   It wouldn't surprise me if tobacco gets raised to 21 nation wide some day either.  Strange to think that I moved across the country to Phoenix when I was 18 and had my own house at 22 and now that's considered basically just beginning your adult life. 

How's everyone feel about dog ownership under 21?  :rolleyes:

Big John

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 03, 2017, 08:16:38 PM

Wasn't it fairly recently the 21 years requirement was enacted on the Federal level?   It wouldn't surprise me if tobacco gets raised to 21 nation wide some day either.  Strange to think that I moved across the country to Phoenix when I was 18 and had my own house at 22 and now that's considered basically just beginning your adult life. 

Became effective in 1986.  Wisconsin was about the last state to enact 21, 5 days before my 19th birthday.

jakeroot

Quote from: Big John on August 03, 2017, 08:21:05 PM

Became effective in 1986.  Wisconsin was about the last state to enact 21, 5 days before my 19th birthday.

That must have been annoying. Being able to drink for a year, and then having to wait another two. Hopefully you had parents like Max's and mine.  :)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on August 03, 2017, 08:39:17 PM

That must have been annoying. Being able to drink for a year, and then having to wait another two. Hopefully you had parents like me and Max.  :)

Hell most local shop owners probably didn't pay attention to the law back the 80s.  I go to the local Shell station out on US 27 in the early 1990s and still buy any beer or smokes I wanted. 

Takumi

That must have been annoying. Being able to drink for a year, and then having to wait another two. Hopefully you had parents like Max's and mine.  :)
From what my dad (who was born in 1964) says, if you were already legal to drink when it came into effect, you were grandfathered in.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jakeroot

Quote from: Takumi on August 03, 2017, 09:12:29 PM

From what my dad (who was born in 1964) says, if you were already legal to drink when it came into effect, you were grandfathered in.

Oh, nice! I'd hate to have had a birthday on the days immediately following the law's introduction. A lot of very cross newly-18 year-olds.

I don't think that's how age limit laws work nowadays. When California raised their smoking age to 21, the only people exempt were military personnel (as mentioned up thread). Hopefully no one below 21 was smoking for anxiety reasons.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on August 03, 2017, 09:26:43 PM
Quote from: Takumi on August 03, 2017, 09:12:29 PM

Oh, nice! I'd hate to have had a birthday on the days immediately following the law's introduction. A lot of very cross newly-18 year-olds.

I don't think that's how age limit laws work nowadays. When California raised their smoking age to 21, the only people exempt were military personnel (as mentioned up thread). Hopefully no one below 21 was smoking for anxiety reasons.

I wonder sometimes if that's why California made it 21 from the outset on recreational marijuana which I want to say was passed into law last December?   That never was okay for anyone under 21, almost like the tobacco hike was planned.  Interesting that the Feds have seemed disinterested it enforcing the Federal statute with so many the states passing laws on cannbis.  Schedule I you'd think would garner some interest at least in Congressional hearings, probably doesn't bode well for the future of the Federal Narcotics Schedule. 

For the record I don't find smoking in any form to be particularly appealing.  I probably only smoked cigarettes a dozen times in my life and didn't like them.  I rather have a nice relaxing beer and not have to worry about the lung problems.

Btw no more doggies?

US 89

Quote from: vdeane on August 02, 2017, 09:33:36 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on August 02, 2017, 05:02:54 PM
I can't wait for school to start back....just a few more days.
When I was growing up, school didn't start until after Labor Day, so it could be a few more weeks.

The school start date seems to vary across the country, starting and ending later in the Northeast and earlier in the rest of the country. In UT, generally the 3rd or 4th Monday of August is the start date, but I don't think my cousins in MA don't start till after Labor Day.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadguy2 on August 04, 2017, 12:23:38 AM

When I was growing up, school didn't start until after Labor Day, so it could be a few more weeks.

The school start date seems to vary across the country, starting and ending later in the Northeast and earlier in the rest of the country. In UT, generally the 3rd or 4th Monday of August is the start date, but I don't think my cousins in MA don't start till after Labor Day.

Here in Seattle, the start date was/is the first week of September (after Labor Day). Went through mid-June. College always started third or fourth week of September through first week of June.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on August 04, 2017, 12:26:04 AM
Quote from: roadguy2 on August 04, 2017, 12:23:38 AM

Here in Seattle, the start date was/is the first week of September (after Labor Day). Went through mid-June. College always started third or fourth week of September through first week of June.

Seems like the California kids are starting the 10th-17th of August.  The same thing happened in Arizona when I lived there as well, I thought it was so alien when I moved from the midwest after high school.  I want to say that the colleges in Arizona still started after Labor Day?  I suppose there is a plus side in that the local family vacationers tend to be back in their own little suburban pockets by mid-August earlier than most places.  That doesn't stop them on weekends but sure clears out weekday traffic.

inkyatari

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

inkyatari

inkyatari

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.