What's the first road you remember traveling on?

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 03, 2017, 04:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: 7/8 on May 21, 2017, 03:30:04 PM
I'm surprised people feel confident in saying what road is the first they remember driving on. I would assume the street I lived on would be a good guess, but for all I know, it could be from a road trip or something. I can't keep track of the chronological order of my early memories :-/

The original question was the first road on which you remember travelling, which is a different question from the first road on which you drove.

I definitely remember the first road on which I drove: Pickett Road in Fairfax, Virginia, south of VA-236 where it stub-ends at Robert Frost Intermediate School, which is around the corner from Woodson High. The day I got my learner's permit, my mom took me to Woodson to drive her Volvo around the car park, and she let me drive up to Frost and back and then she insisted on driving home. Compare to my father, who took me out the following weekend to start learning a five-speed and had me on the Beltway and I-395 within 24 hours.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

7/8

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 02, 2017, 06:14:56 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on May 21, 2017, 03:30:04 PM
I'm surprised people feel confident in saying what road is the first they remember driving on. I would assume the street I lived on would be a good guess, but for all I know, it could be from a road trip or something. I can't keep track of the chronological order of my early memories :-/

The original question was the first road on which you remember travelling, which is a different question from the first road on which you drove.

I should have said "travelling" instead of "driving". It's a habit from when I was too young to drive (i.e. saying that I "drove" to Orlando when I was actually just a passenger). I also remember where I first drove (as a driver :sombrero:), though it was only 6 years ago, so it's not that hard to remember.

HazMatt

I distinctly remember a long string of streetlamps on I-20 in Mississippi.  Pretty much the only thing I remember from our move from Texas back in '87.  I think I remember some of San Antonio back then, but I've been back since and don't know if my mind is just filling in information.

brownpelican

US 89

US 89 in Bountiful, UT. I remember my parents filling up at the Chevron there. Presumably, it was after a long road trip, since I think there were suitcases in the trunk.
However, it could also be Foothill Dr or Wakara Way near the U in Salt Lake City. I'm  not sure which came first.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.