News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NY 590/NY 104 Interchange

Started by webny99, May 16, 2017, 10:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Can anyone offer some insight into the history of this interchange? Why was it only half-built, with four ramps missing?

I was just driving up 590 yesterday and noticing how convenient it would be to connect the existing stub ramps on the 104 with the Titus Ave. roundabout  :)

Alps

Never noticed that. It would seem that those ramps depended on extending 590 as a freeway beyond NY 104, possibly also on extending the LOSP east to meet it.

vdeane

Basically, the ramps got blocked due to opposition from the Town of Irondequoit (according to my Dad, it was part of the fight over the Irondequoit Bay Outlet Bridge).  Not sure how they would have connected, though, given the topography and the Titus Ave intersection.

According to my uncle, extending the LOSP to NY 590 was indeed proposed, and the extra-wide ROW on Lake Shore Blvd is the result of this.

Quote from: webny99 on May 16, 2017, 10:02:24 PM
I was just driving up 590 yesterday and noticing how convenient it would be to connect the existing stub ramps on the 104 with the Titus Ave. roundabout  :) T
You're not the only one.
http://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/local-news/possible-improvements-to-590/692634194
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

machias

Quote from: vdeane on May 17, 2017, 07:38:14 PM
Basically, the ramps got blocked due to opposition from the Town of Irondequoit (according to my Dad, it was part of the fight over the Irondequoit Bay Outlet Bridge).  Not sure how they would have connected, though, given the topography and the Titus Ave intersection.

According to my uncle, extending the LOSP to NY 590 was indeed proposed, and the extra-wide ROW on Lake Shore Blvd is the result of this.

Quote from: webny99 on May 16, 2017, 10:02:24 PM
I was just driving up 590 yesterday and noticing how convenient it would be to connect the existing stub ramps on the 104 with the Titus Ave. roundabout  :) T
You're not the only one.
http://www.rochesterfirst.com/news/local-news/possible-improvements-to-590/692634194

I always thought that was the purpose of the ghost ramps just ramp of the Irondequoit Bay Bridge. They're angled perfectly to go to NY 590 NORTH.

vdeane

"Where" in the general sense isn't the question I had so much as "how".  These days they are planning to tie in to the roundabout.  How would they have tied in before?  The Titus Ave intersection isn't exactly minor (before the recent reconfiguration, it had a fully protected left, at the time one of the only ones in the area), and as mentioned, there's a large uphill grade, yet the one ramp goes under NY 104.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

vdeane

Check the video in the link I posted.  It has more than the article.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.