News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

ND highways question

Started by invincor, August 23, 2017, 10:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

invincor

I'm taking a road trip to Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada in a couple of weeks.
I'll be entering North Dakota from the east at Fargo, and here I have two main route options.

Google Maps would have me stay on I-94 until US 52 splits off and heads up diagonally to the border.  A slightly longer alternative is to head up to Grand Forks in I-29, then west on US 2 until US 52 at Minot, then up to the border from there.

What are the pros and cons of each?  I can see, for instance, that although the US 52 option is shorter, it's 2-Lane most of the time, whereas US 2 is 4-Lane. 

Mdcastle

I've driven to Minot more times than I care to talk about.

We went through Grand Forks only once, tended to alternate between going straight down 52 and going through Bismarck depending on our whim and what the current speed limits are.

The locals always take US 52 on trips to Fargo and the Twin Cities.

Although it's two lanes the surface quality isn't noticeably worse than US 2 or 83, and US 2 and 83 both have small towns to drive through. The last time we went the speed limit was 65 on US 52 and only 70 on the interstate.

I've not been back since the oil boom has started.

SD Mapman

Quote from: Mdcastle on September 03, 2017, 12:19:40 PM
Although it's two lanes the surface quality isn't noticeably worse than US 2 or 83, and US 2 and 83 both have small towns to drive through. The last time we went the speed limit was 65 on US 52 and only 70 on the interstate.

I've not been back since the oil boom has started.
I think ND has 75 mph speed limits on Interstates now.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

froggie

They do.  And have had them for some years...

invincor

Thanks for the replies, although I didn't get to see them until now, after the trip is over. :) 

I used 52 getting there and took 2 through Grand Forks on the way back.  Everything you said about them is true. Fortunately I had lots of audio books to get through, as there's absolutely nothing interesting to look at on either road, apart from that one beautiful river valley on 52 heading towards Portal. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.