Most dangerous road in your area

Started by fillup420, July 11, 2017, 07:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhking

Right now? I-75 & I-285 near the Cobb Cloverleaf. With the paucity of navigable signage along with the construction and lack of legible pavement striping tied to the Northwest Corridor project and the SunTrust Field build, it's just plain ugly.

The other one that's really bad is I-20 EB approaching 285 in Fulton Co. It was re-signed/striped almost a year ago to get another lane in for the 285 split, and it's done nothing but made that interchange even more dangerous to navigate in traffic (but don't tell GDOT that [rolling eyes]).

The whole bloody interchange desperately needs to be rebuilt from the ground up with a pair of flyovers, but that'll take boatloads of money that's being spent up on the Noooorthside of the Perimeter for the "pretty people in their expensive cars..." (sorry -- that's a real sore spot with me and a bunch of others)

jmd41280

In my area, it is definitely I-70 between Washington, PA and New Stanton, PA.  With the exception of a short stretch just east of the I-79 south junction, it consists of 2 lanes in each direction with a barrier between the opposing lanes.  The lanes are narrow, and the barrier abuts the left lane with very little (if any) space in between.  Speed limit is typically 55 mph, though there is a short stretch over the Monongahela River bridge that is 45 mph.  Put it this way, people must think the "70" signs are the speed limit instead of the road number.  Combine the speeding with this road being a heavily used corridor for tractor-trailers, as well as increased traffic due to the Marcellus shale boom, and you get accidents everywhere.

I have the pleasure of taking this road as part of my daily commute.  Traffic jams and road shutdowns due to accidents seem to be an almost regular occurrence on this stretch of I-70.
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

CapeCodder

Quote from: JJBers on July 14, 2017, 05:22:12 PM
In terms of design, Valley Farms Rd. in Bolton, Connecticut, you go down a curve, in a 11% incline.
By traffic: the I-84/I-91 interchange in downtown Hartford.

I-84 in Hartford scares me. Waay too many curves, plus exit ramps that seem to go on forever.

Here on Cape Cod it's easily 132 and 28. 132 because of the shopping plazas and pedestrians trying to cross it. 28 because of how built up the road is. 28 is a two lane and it can't be widened.

sparker

Earlier in the thread I mentioned the single most dangerous road in the Bay Area: CA 17 between Scotts Valley and Los Gatos; I don't think I'd get much argument about that choice.  But I'd like to nominate a road that's probably a minimum of 75% as dangerous -- Vasco Road between Livermore & Brentwood -- about 15 miles of hills that has, in Contra Costa County, been improved with passing lanes and K-rail medians -- but the southern portion in Alameda County (in the eastern outskirts of Livermore) remains 2-lane; there are no plans to alleviate this in the near term.  The entire road is a commute-time mess; all lanes -- main & passing -- are completely packed southbound between 5:30 and 9:00 a.m. and northbound between 3:30 and about 7:30 p.m.  Originally this was the basic corridor for the CA 84 freeway between Livermore and Antioch (just west of Brentwood); that concept never advanced beyond an unadopted line on the map; it fell to the counties to do what improvements have been implemented to date -- and while Contra Costa has made an effort to at least render the roadway safe, Alameda County has not followed suit.  I've traveled it both in commute directions and contraflow; the average NB speed of the commute -- from where the 4-lane section north of I-580 shrinks to 2 lanes all the way over the hill to CA 4 -- is about 15-20 m.p.h.; it's a little worse SB in the morning, since traffic from the congested 2 lanes now must merge into one!  So far, Alameda County hasn't been convinced to expand their approximately 4-mile unimproved segment; it will remain, IMO, the 2nd -- by a long stretch -- most dangerous road in the region.

US 89

For SLC area, it's probably US 6, especially between Spanish Fork and Price. They've done a lot of work to improve this road in the past several years, and it's now mostly four laned, but everyone still thinks of it as the most dangerous road.

Flint1979

A stretch of M-15 between Davison and Goodrich on those S-curves. One is between Lippincott and Atherton and the other is between Perry Road and Goodrich village limits.

JKRhodes

Quote from: beau99 on July 20, 2017, 02:57:44 AM
US-60 through the Salt River Canyon would be a good candidate. Very narrow in that area, very, very windy.

My mom had to go through there a few times. She absolutely hated it.
I still remember when the state built an escape ramp, then beefed up the guarding on the 2nd to last hairpin turn. Wreckers got tired of fishing semi trucks out of the canyon I guess.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.