News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Mostly secret" routes -- mostly but not completely unsigned

Started by kurumi, July 19, 2017, 12:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

Florida, among other southern states, has unsigned state route designations for Florida's Turnpike (SR 91), I-75 and 275 (SR 93), and so on. Most of these SR's are unknown to motorists with a few exceptions:

* SR 7 diverges from US 441 at US 98 and a 6.3-mile portion (with dead end) is signed near West Palm Beach
* SR 5 diverges from US 1 for 6.8 miles near West Palm Beach

In Alabama, SR 53 is mostly signed as US 231, but it has two standalone sections totaling 48 miles, with an unsigned length of nearly 300 miles.

These are not sign goofs, as in a few Connecticut SR's posted by mistake; and they are not "secret concurrencies" where the state doesn't feel like signing (Arkansas/Indiana/?) routes across a gap.

Any other examples of these?
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Max Rockatansky

FL 700 is mostly unsigned given it is part of US 98.  California has some almost secret routes like CA 153 that may in fact have only one shield:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=20562.0

formulanone

Florida has this in bunches:

Florida's SR 9 is like this: most of it is the secret number of I-95 throughout the state, but it 13 miles of it is a separate (non-freeway) route.

Similarly, FL 10 is the secret number for US 90, but a portion of it becomes "visible" as Alternate US 90, and finally as a standalone route towards the Atlantic coast.

FL 35 is the secret number for much of US 17 and US 301, but there's a portion of it which isn't, when it heads north after a (mileage) gap in Belleview.

FL 400 is mostly secret I-4, but the non-freeway section east of I-95 is signed as 400.

FL 200 is kind of like this...but the diagonal x00 routes in Florida were laid out before many US Routes were laid over them.

Alabama also has AL 74, which is mostly the secret number for US 278, but a short portion of it from Hamilton to AL 19 is not US 278 (but was former US 78).

Georgia must have a ton of these, although sometimes the secret number is confidently shown, other times, it is not.

Eth

Quote from: formulanone on July 19, 2017, 06:40:49 AM
Georgia must have a ton of these, although sometimes the secret number is confidently shown, other times, it is not.

The state route numbers on US routes are nearly always signed, but are often (~80% of the time, I'd say) omitted on Interstate BGSes. For instance, you'll see no mention of GA 13 from I-285 at the US 23/Buford Hwy interchange, but it's fully signed on US 23 itself. (However, GA 42 *does* appear on I-285 signage at US 23's other crossing.) On the subject of state routes that are mostly tied to US routes, but also have shorter independent sections, yes, there are many of those. Off the top of my head, there's 2, 6, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 25, 26, 30, 42, 61, and likely plenty of others.

The 400-series routes on the Interstates are never signed with conventional route markers, but they do occasionally show up on overpass labels such as this one.

Finally, as sort of an honorable mention, while GA 404 (better known as I-16) isn't signed, it does have a signed auxiliary route in Savannah.

dgolub

There are a few of these in New Jersey.  NJ 64 and NJ 165 are only signed on the traffic light street sign blades and have no reassurance shields.  The only signage for NJ 13 is a sign on the side of a bridge intended for boats passing under it.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Wikipedia, "New Hampshire Route 101"NH 101E is very poorly signed. There exists one sign on southbound U.S. Route 1 using an old state-highway logo (without the Old Man of the Mountain), and green guide signs at the eastern terminus at NH 1A, but along the road itself, there is no signage to indicate the route's number. It is not known as "Route 101E" to local residents; they refer to it as "Winnacunnet Road."
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Max Rockatansky

Almost the entirety of the Signed County Routes in Tulare County are unsigned with one exception; J37 which had two actually shields about five miles north of the southern terminus at CA 190.

US 89

UT-30 exists in 3 separate sections with unsigned concurrencies in between. It begins at the NV state line and goes east to Snowville. It is then silently concurrent with I-84 and I-15 to near Riverside. Another signed portion runs from here to Logan. Then there's a silent concurrency with US 89 east to Garden City, where it becomes independent again and goes SE to the WY line.

The history of this road's designations is actually pretty interesting, and Wikipedia has a good article about it.

rte66man

Tulsa has secret OK12 which apparently is the Gilcrease extension west from the SW interchange of I-244 and I-44.  Of course, I-444 (the East and South legs of the Inner Dispersal Loop) is unsigned.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

jwolfer

Quote from: dgolub on July 19, 2017, 09:15:04 AM
There are a few of these in New Jersey.  NJ 64 and NJ 165 are only signed on the traffic light street sign blades and have no reassurance shields.  The only signage for NJ 13 is a sign on the side of a bridge intended for boats passing under it.
Back in the 1980s when the bridge on SR13(Bridge Ave)was being rehabed the detour signs had 13 shields.

LGMS428

jwolfer

In Florida the secret SR is usually on the "your tax dollars at work" signs.

LGMS428

BigRTM

Once again in Florida.....

SR 45 is usually the secret route for US 41. There is some deviation from this, especially from mid to south Tampa as US 41 heads east (briefly concurrent with US 92), bypassing the downtown area and SR 45 continues on south. It is even signed SR 45 at two intersections (US 92 and SR 574).

oscar

One California route that's barely signed is CA 254. The only route markers are in END assemblies at the north and south ends, so only when you've reached the end of the route does Caltrans tell you that it was a numbered state highway.

The highway is a scenic loop from US 101, and was the historic US 101. It's better known as "Avenue of the Giants" (and signed as such on multiple exits from US 101) for the  groves of tall redwood trees through which it passes, so the weak route signage is not troublesome.

Alaska has two segments of numbered state highways (AK 7 in Petersburg, AK 10 in Cordova) that are shown on state highway maps and are also on the very short official list of numbered state routes, but have no route signage. The Cordova road used to be signed, but after persistent sign vandalism (many locals strongly oppose the route designation, as part of a scheme to extend its part of AK 10 to connect to the rest of the state highway system) Alaska DOT gave up on replacing the stolen route markers.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

MNHighwayMan

IA-965 in Coralville isn't, like all remaining 900-series Iowa routes, signed by the DOT, but it does appear on street blades in text, even on sections that aren't part of the secret route anymore. Most prominent example of this is its junction with US-6, which actually features a shield on the blade:

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

dvferyance

I-124 in Tennessee used to qualify for this but the two I-124 signs were later taken down and the whole route is unsigned.

Ian

ME 701 (Scarborough Connector) and ME 703 (Maine Turnpike Approach Road) in Scarborough/South Portland are signed only on mile markers, which were only installed within the last few years. Prior to those being put up, the routes weren't signed at all.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

catsynth

CA 114 is still unsigned (I think), but for a while the Willow Road interchange on US 101 in Menlo Park had official-looking green CA 114 shields as part of construction assemblies.
http://www.catsynth.com
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

Completed 2di: I-80, I-87 (NY), I-84 (E), I-86 (E), I-97, I-44

Takumi

VA 146 in Richmond, the connector road between VA 76 and VA 195. From each road, only the other is signed (ie 195 from 76 and vice versa, no mention of 146), but there are a couple of 146 shields on the road itself.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

dvferyance

How about US 87 in Colorado? Only one shield for the whole state.

cl94

Are we counting the three NY reference routes that are partially signed? NY 990V doesn't count as it is fully signed.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Bickendan

NE2

Half the posters didn't read the original post.
Quote from: kurumi on July 19, 2017, 12:27:36 AM
These are not sign goofs, as in a few Connecticut SR's posted by mistake;
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

formulanone

How many states use secret or semi-hidden route numbers, though? Florida, Georgia, and to a lesser extent, Alabama and Tennessee are the only ones that come to mind. And Georgia keeps the "visibly hidden" numbers for route continuity.

There's some willfully unsigned routes scattered around the country, but other than missing shields for concurrences, or routes which only carry internal designations (Kentucky's Parkways or NJTP and GSP, for example) there isn't much to choose from.

I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been a master thread of all the hidden numbers, but I guess it's a bit over-exhaustive for one thread.

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 20, 2017, 12:51:02 PM
TN 1. Completely unsigned except for a stretch where it isn't concurrent with any US route in Sparta, TN:
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9191387,-85.4814907,3a,15y,61.92h,87.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVg6hYgJVk-I8y1BpfZhZuw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Last year, if I recall correctly, wasn't TN 1 advertised by TN DOT on their maps and whatnot as part of their something-eth anniversary?
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.