News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Silver Alerts on DMS

Started by Pink Jazz, July 27, 2017, 01:20:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

While most states post AMBER Alerts on their DMS, it seems that comparatively few states post Silver Alerts (or whatever their in-state equivalent is called) on them.  I only know of five states that do (Arizona, Florida, New Jersey, North Carolina, and Wisconsin).

I was wondering, why don't most states post Silver Alerts on DMS?

myosh_tino

Please excuse my ignorance but what is a "Silver Alert?"
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

oscar

For lost elderly people, I think.

As for why Silver Alerts are not more widely used, there might be concern about alert overload, where people start ignoring even Amber Alerts when too many alerts are thrown at them. Even the Amber Alerts can get tiresome, when the alleged child abduction occurs in a distant corner of my rather large state but the alert goes statewide.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jeffandnicole

Silver Alerts are also used for those with Dementia and other type illnesses.  I've seen some fairly young people on the VMS signs.

When NJ's Silver Alerts first started, they were supposed to be announced on TV, Radio, VMS and other communications.  I don't recall seeing/hearing them on anything but NJ's VMSs though.  And there were a lot.  It was getting to the point where someone's grandpa was lost every day of the week seemingly!  Sometimes there would be 2 or 3 at one time, at which case the VMS signs would say "2 Silver Alerts, Dial 511 for Info'. 

At some point, they must've made a decision to cut back on these Silver Alerts, because they're rarely seen anymore.  As Oscar said, you start to ignore them after a while.  Maybe they realized that no one from the public was actually finding these people.

Delaware enacted a law, but called them 'Gold' Alerts, because they felt their seniors were worth their weight in gold or something like that.  But it really just invited further confusion, because not only do people not know what Silver Alerts are sometimes, they're really unfamiliar with Gold Alerts!

NJ has some strict guidelines when it comes to Amber Alerts, and thus keeps them to a minimum.  But on occasion, when it's reported a child is missing, someone in the comments section will say "Why hasn't there been an Amber Alert issued?".  Well, if it's a 7 year old that's lost with no known vehicle or location info, you can't just say "Amber Alert - 7 Year Old Boy - Call Police", because that gives absolutely no information, and could potentially overload 911 operators with people reporting what turns out to be kids being with their families.

kalvado

NY - saw some "missing person" alerts, no specific age or color of alert. In all cases that was for local metropolitan area, which is less than 1M population - so no alert overloading..

roadman

Massachusetts participates in the Silver Alert program, although I have yet to see a Silver Alert message on a CMS.  Have gotten a few reverse 911 calls from my town (including one at 1:45 in the morning) though.

QuoteOklahoma has these, too.  Though I think it's a band-aid problem for not retesting everyone on a regular basis; the senile and those with dementia shouldn't be driving in the first place.

Apples and oranges here.  The subject of a Silver Alert doesn't necessarily have to be driving a car.  The typical Silver Alert I've received (through reverse 911 call) is for a person that has walked away from a nursing home or elder care facility, and is possibly still in the local neighborhood.

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman on July 27, 2017, 11:01:47 AM

QuoteOklahoma has these, too.  Though I think it's a band-aid problem for not retesting everyone on a regular basis; the senile and those with dementia shouldn't be driving in the first place.

Apples and oranges here.  The subject of a Silver Alert doesn't necessarily have to be driving a car.  The typical Silver Alert I've received (through reverse 911 call) is for a person that has walked away from a nursing home or elder care facility, and is possibly still in the local neighborhood.

Also, a license only means one can drive legally.  Just like a kid, it doesn't take much for someone to grab the keys and take the car.

Yeah, I know, in a perfect world, that wouldn't happen.  It does.

Alex

Silver alerts are routine here in Florida. The issue I have with them is that they do not alternate the messages with the usual travel times that the DMS usually show. I have also seen the same Silver alert posted from Tampa Bay all the way to Pensacola on the same day.

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

kalvado

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 27, 2017, 02:16:30 PM
Clearly someone who rides the bus for a living missed the point: An older person with dementia could have his license taken away, but yet still takes the keys and drives away.  Doesn't matter how he tested.
By the way - are there any states that actually require retest at some point? I believe the only thing you can fail in NY (once you got license earlier at some point) is vision test...

RobbieL2415

The NYSTA and the NYSDOT have on their traffic advisory signs a section that says "Amber alert when flashing".  AFIAK they do not annouce them on their VMSs.

jakeroot

Washington posts "Silver Alerts" on overhead variable message signs. I've seen it used once, about a month ago. I'm not sure how often "Silver Alerts" are issued.

Here's the press release from almost two years ago:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/News/2015/08/20_SilverAlertsBegin.htm

Pink Jazz

Quote from: jakeroot on July 28, 2017, 12:03:04 AM
Washington posts "Silver Alerts" on overhead variable message signs. I've seen it used once, about a month ago. I'm not sure how often "Silver Alerts" are issued.

Here's the press release from almost two years ago:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/News/2015/08/20_SilverAlertsBegin.htm

In most states I'd actually expect them to be more frequent than AMBER Alerts.

Note that Silver Alerts do not use Wireless Emergency Alerts anywhere, and as far as I know are not allowed to use the regular Emergency Alert System.

US 89

Here in UT, I have never even heard of a Silver Alert, much less seen one on a VMS.

However, Amber alerts do happen maybe around 2x a year, and they are shown on the VMS signs.

Pink Jazz

Quote from: roadguy2 on July 28, 2017, 01:01:06 PM
Here in UT, I have never even heard of a Silver Alert, much less seen one on a VMS.

However, Amber alerts do happen maybe around 2x a year, and they are shown on the VMS signs.

Utah according to Wikipedia actually does not call them Silver Alerts, but Endangered Person Advisories, and has broader criteria than most states' Silver Alert or equivalent programs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.