AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Virginia  (Read 546062 times)

Takumi

• #yogapantsbutnotstance

• Last Login: August 18, 2017, 08:13:48 PM
    • Flashing Lights (blog)
Re: Virginia
« Reply #2475 on: July 24, 2017, 10:59:16 PM »

That's a good start, along with the ongoing widening between Williamsburg and Jefferson Avenue in Newport News. Hope the rest gets widened before terribly long.
Don't pick apart my vision of complete psychotic breakdown, please.  I'm trying to make a point here.

Insta | Kinja

plain

• Last Login: August 18, 2017, 09:01:11 PM
« Reply #2476 on: July 25, 2017, 12:13:56 AM »

Now we can officially get to rolling on this thing. Best part is when finished at least the capacity will be good enough to get people to the US 60 option at Bottoms Bridge until the widening extends east.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

• Last Login: August 18, 2017, 11:17:51 PM
« Reply #2477 on: July 25, 2017, 12:27:52 AM »

VDOT's Website: COMMONWEALTH TRANSPORTATION BOARD AWARDS CONTRACT FOR I-64 WIDENING PROJECT IN HENRICO AND NEW KENT
The project will widen Interstate 64 between Interstate 295 (Exit 200) in Henrico and Bottoms Bridge (Exit 205) in New Kent. When completed, the project is expected to provide immediate congestion relief and enhanced safety to the roadway corridor. Improvements include adding a 12-foot wide travel lane and a 10-foot wide shoulder in both directions in the median of the existing roadway, widening the bridges over the Chickahominy River and improving the acceleration and deceleration lanes at the truck weigh station.
As a design-build project, the project team will begin construction before design work is completed, which greatly reduces the overall time necessary to complete the project.
Following the award, a notice to proceed will be issued in August 2017. The estimated completion date for the project is late summer 2019.

These 4 current I-64 widening projects (Phase III at Williamsburg will begin in near future) are "congestion relief" projects per the info released, and that basically means that they are adding a new lane and full shoulder each way in the median and with little or no improvements outside of the existing roadways, in order to reduce the costs and reduce the needed environmental studies.  These 4 projects were originally planned to be widening to 8 lanes (4 each way).  The outside widening and interchange upgrades will occur sometime in the future (bet on at least 10 years, IMHO).  Existing pavements in these 4 projects will be heavily rehabbed and overlaid with asphalt.

Not to complain too much, these will be huge improvements.

This is still only about 40% of the length of the 4-lane sections between Richmond and Newport News that will have widening under construction.   
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 12:30:46 AM by Beltway »

LM117

• Last Login: Today at 03:30:16 AM
« Reply #2478 on: July 25, 2017, 05:45:51 AM »

VDOT's Website: COMMONWEALTH TRANSPORTATION BOARD AWARDS CONTRACT FOR I-64 WIDENING PROJECT IN HENRICO AND NEW KENT

The project will widen Interstate 64 between Interstate 295 (Exit 200) in Henrico and Bottoms Bridge (Exit 205) in New Kent. When completed, the project is expected to provide immediate congestion relief and enhanced safety to the roadway corridor. Improvements include adding a 12-foot wide travel lane and a 10-foot wide shoulder in both directions in the median of the existing roadway, widening the bridges over the Chickahominy River and improving the acceleration and deceleration lanes at the truck weigh station.

As a design-build project, the project team will begin construction before design work is completed, which greatly reduces the overall time necessary to complete the project.

Following the award, a notice to proceed will be issued in August 2017. The estimated completion date for the project is late summer 2019.

Much needed.
"You forget a thousand things everyday. How about you make sure this is one of them?"--Michael De Santa, GTA V

WillWeaverRVA

• Last Login: August 18, 2017, 03:12:39 PM
    • WillWeaverRVA Photography
« Reply #2479 on: July 25, 2017, 09:09:47 AM »

These 4 current I-64 widening projects (Phase III at Williamsburg will begin in near future) are "congestion relief" projects per the info released, and that basically means that they are adding a new lane and full shoulder each way in the median and with little or no improvements outside of the existing roadways, in order to reduce the costs and reduce the needed environmental studies.  These 4 projects were originally planned to be widening to 8 lanes (4 each way).  The outside widening and interchange upgrades will occur sometime in the future (bet on at least 10 years, IMHO).  Existing pavements in these 4 projects will be heavily rehabbed and overlaid with asphalt.

Not to complain too much, these will be huge improvements.

This is still only about 40% of the length of the 4-lane sections between Richmond and Newport News that will have widening under construction.   

Every little bit helps.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

VTGoose

• Last Login: August 18, 2017, 12:04:22 PM
« Reply #2480 on: August 03, 2017, 12:03:03 PM »

VDOT is pushing ahead with its "solution" to the U.S. 460 intersection with N. Main Street in Blacksburg, with one of its "public input" sessions (I'll be out of town that day so will miss it).

Bruce in Blacksburg

North Main Street at Route 460 Intersection Improvements Design Public Hearing
Thursday, Aug. 31, 5-7 p.m.
Blacksburg Community Center
725 Patrick Henry Dr.
Inclement Weather Date: Tuesday, Sept. 5, 5-7 p.m.
Find out about a project to improve safety at the intersection where North Main Street connects with Route 460 and Farmingdale Lane in Blacksburg. The project will modify the intersection to add and lengthen turn lanes and restrict left turns from North Main Street and Farmingdale Lane onto Route 460. The project also includes improvements to facilitate U-turns on Route 460. Closing the connection of Bishop Road to Route 460 also is being considered.
The hearing will be held in an open house format and VDOT representatives will be present to answer questions.
Review the project information and the National Environmental Policy Act document in the form of a Categorical Exclusion at the public hearing or after the hearing at VDOT’s Salem District Office located at 731 Harrison Ave., Salem, 540-387-5353, 800-367-7623, TTY/TDD 711. Please call ahead to ensure the availability of appropriate personnel to answer your questions.
Property impact information, relocation assistance policies and tentative construction schedules are available for your review at the above address and will be available at the public hearing.
Give your written or oral comments at the hearing or submit them by Sept. 10, 2017, to Tim Dowdy, Project Manager, 731 Harrison Ave., Salem, VA 24153. Comments also can be emailed to tim.dowdy@vdot.virginia.gov. Please reference “North Main Street Blacksburg Public Comment” in the subject heading.
VDOT ensures nondiscrimination and equal employment in all programs and activities in accordance with Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. If you need more information in regards to your civil rights on this project or need special assistance for persons with disabilities or limited English proficiency, contact Tim Dowdy at the phone numbers listed above.
Length: 0.9 mile
From: 0.3 Mile South of North Main Street To: 0.6 Mile North of North Main Street
State Project: 0460-150-262, P101 Federal Project: NHPP-5150(197) UPC: 108900

Jmiles32

• Last Login: August 16, 2017, 08:38:20 PM
« Reply #2481 on: August 07, 2017, 08:06:42 PM »

http://www.fauquier.com/news/with-buckland-bypass-a-no-go-officials-consider-new-ways/article_dd5a560c-79ee-11e7-b0cd-1b169076a052.html
Now that the controversial Buckland Bypass appears to be dead, hopefully the "new ways" VDOT and the NVTA will seek to alleviate traffic on the US-29 corridor will be:
1. Widening US-29 from 4 to 6 lanes from at least US-15 to Virginia Oaks Drive(preferably all the way from Warrenton but I can see why thats a long shot).
2. Widening the rest of US-15 from 2 to 4 lanes from US-29 to VA-55
3. Possibly building interchanges at Berverlys Mill Road(SR-600), Vint Hill Road(VA-215), US-15, Old Carolina Road, and Somerset Crossing Drive.

Doubt #3 will happen because of cost and how it would almost certainly bring back talks of making US-29 an interstate, which as we already know, is pretty strongly opposed.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #2482 on: August 07, 2017, 09:59:50 PM »

http://www.fauquier.com/news/with-buckland-bypass-a-no-go-officials-consider-new-ways/article_dd5a560c-79ee-11e7-b0cd-1b169076a052.html
Now that the controversial Buckland Bypass appears to be dead, hopefully the "new ways" VDOT and the NVTA will seek to alleviate traffic on the US-29 corridor will be:
1. Widening US-29 from 4 to 6 lanes from at least US-15 to Virginia Oaks Drive(preferably all the way from Warrenton but I can see why thats a long shot).

It shouldn't be a "long shot", at a minimum US-29 should be reconstructed to six lanes (three each way) between the Warrenton Bypass and Gainesville.  Eight lanes would be better.  Both roadways should be reconstructed, as in profile flattened to a modern rural arterial highway standard.

2. Widening the rest of US-15 from 2 to 4 lanes from US-29 to VA-55
3. Possibly building interchanges at Berverlys Mill Road(SR-600), Vint Hill Road(VA-215), US-15, Old Carolina Road, and Somerset Crossing Drive.
Doubt #3 will happen because of cost and how it would almost certainly bring back talks of making US-29 an interstate, which as we already know, is pretty strongly opposed.

Two or three interchanges on US-29 would help a lot.

froggie

• Last Login: August 18, 2017, 07:24:48 AM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #2483 on: August 07, 2017, 11:26:35 PM »

If they're going to burn right-of-way, I'd rather it be on frontage roads and/or interchange ramps than on 8 lanes.

Beltway

• Roads to the Future

« Reply #2484 on: August 07, 2017, 11:45:12 PM »

If they're going to burn right-of-way, I'd rather it be on frontage roads and/or interchange ramps than on 8 lanes.

If they are going to build frontage roads, then they might as well make the right-of-way limited access.  In that case a six-lane expressway could handle a lot of traffic well.

D-Dey65

• Last Login: August 18, 2017, 12:47:41 AM
« Reply #2485 on: August 11, 2017, 05:46:51 PM »

I can't believe we've manged to get 99 pages of discussion on a state...
Takumi brought it to 100 pages.

cpzilliacus

• Last Login: August 18, 2017, 04:43:13 PM
« Reply #2486 on: August 11, 2017, 07:51:18 PM »

I can't believe we've manged to get 99 pages of discussion on a state commonwealth...

FTFY.  ;-)
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

• Last Login: August 18, 2017, 09:16:20 PM
« Reply #2487 on: August 12, 2017, 01:13:25 PM »

50 pages, if you set the forum to display the maximum number of posts per page instead of whatever the default is.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cl94

• Trust me, I'm a transportation engineer

• Last Login: Today at 12:06:31 AM
« Reply #2488 on: August 12, 2017, 07:15:30 PM »

50 pages, if you set the forum to display the maximum number of posts per page instead of whatever the default is.

Only ~600 replies to go until Virginia takes the lead from New York  :-D
Josh Schmid, E.I.T.
Ph.D. Student and Research Assistant, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.