News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-69 Ohio River Bridge

Started by truejd, August 05, 2010, 10:32:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Quote from: vdeane on July 24, 2017, 09:56:43 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on July 24, 2017, 07:41:09 PM
Maybe the gas tax increase in Indiana will give them the incentive to rebuild the bridges in the future.  Then again Indiana seems to always give Evansville the shaft. 

Nexus 6P

Believe it or not, the bridges are located entirely within Kentucky.

And it looks like all the screened options cited in the article follow suit with this circumstance; even the central corridor option #1 (which, IMO, is the most likely eventual choice) has its northern anchorage within Kentucky -- although not by much, according to the map.  Nevertheless, there's not a chance in hell that KY will be on the hook for the full cost of the bridge (although it's likely to be the "lead" jurisdiction); it'll be a joint project between the two affected states. 

codyg1985

Maybe the gas tax increase in Indiana will give them the incentive to rebuild the bridges in the future.  Then again Indiana seems to always give Evansville the shaft. 

Nexus 6P

True but Indiana has committed to a cost-sharing agreement with Kentucky on the bridges.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

silverback1065

i actually don't think any ohio river bridge is in indiana, the state line is the shore of the ohio river, dating back to the nw territory.  it zig-zags a lot so it's not perfect, but most of the approaches are in indiana on the northern side, none of the 41 bridges are though. 

silverback1065

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 25, 2017, 12:04:59 AM
I listened to the Interim Joint Committee on Transportation and a key takeaway is that Kentucky is in deep in road debt.  They are looking for money as it is.   Why spend that money when Louisville and Northern Kentucky need to improve?

the way kentucky is building roads currently you wouldnt think they have money issues. i'm sure hbelkins can answer this one

rte66man

Quote from: codyg1985 on July 25, 2017, 08:03:53 AM

Nexus 6P

True but Indiana has committed to a cost-sharing agreement with Kentucky on the bridges.

I thought the bridge(s) would be tolled.  If so, then I'm not seeing why KY's funding issues are a problem.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Avalanchez71

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 25, 2017, 08:04:33 AM
i actually don't think any ohio river bridge is in indiana, the state line is the shore of the ohio river, dating back to the nw territory.  it zig-zags a lot so it's not perfect, but most of the approaches are in indiana on the northern side, none of the 41 bridges are though.
There is a significant portion of Kentucky on the "Indiana" side of the Ohio.  There is a whole state road, SR 3552 and a race track long past the approach of US 41 bridges.

hbelkins

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 25, 2017, 12:04:59 AM
I listened to the Interim Joint Committee on Transportation and a key takeaway is that Kentucky is in deep in road debt.  They are looking for money as it is.   Why spend that money when Louisville and Northern Kentucky need to improve?

Other than the Brent Spence Bridge replacement, Kentucky could spend not one single dollar in new construction in Louisville or Boone/Campbell/Kenton counties for the next 10 years and no one would ever notice the difference.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

I'd consider the elevated parts of the approaches to be part of the bridge, so most of them actually do have part of the bridge over Indiana.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: vdeane on July 25, 2017, 09:11:45 PM
I'd consider the elevated parts of the approaches to be part of the bridge, so most of them actually do have part of the bridge over Indiana.

The state line is the low-water mark on the north side of the Ohio River as it existed in 1792, when Kentucky became a state. Kentucky and Indiana do have maintenance agreements on the bridges -- Kentucky maintains some and Indiana maintains others. But the US 41 bridges are entirely in Kentucky because the course of the river changed significantly. I don't know when that occurred, but the fact remains that you don't cross the state line when you cross one of those bridges.

silverback1065

Quote from: hbelkins on July 25, 2017, 10:29:21 PM

The state line is the low-water mark on the north side of the Ohio River as it existed in 1792, when Kentucky became a state. Kentucky and Indiana do have maintenance agreements on the bridges -- Kentucky maintains some and Indiana maintains others. But the US 41 bridges are entirely in Kentucky because the course of the river changed significantly. I don't know when that occurred, but the fact remains that you don't cross the state line when you cross one of those bridges.

it must have change a lot since then, there's a road in evansville called riverside drive (not the piece that actually is near the shore) that is no where near the ohio. 

SteveG1988

Quote from: silverback1065 on July 25, 2017, 10:33:27 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 25, 2017, 10:29:21 PM

it must have change a lot since then, there's a road in evansville called riverside drive (not the piece that actually is near the shore) that is no where near the ohio. 

According to wikipedia, the new madrid earthquake shifted the course of the river.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

silverback1065

Life in Paradise

The New Madrid quake (and written/spoken stories from those that witnessed it-mostly Native Americans) and the possibility of a new quake are a small part of the thought about putting another crossing on the Ohio.  The current bridges are definitely not earthquake resistant. 

Of course, if there was another quake like the New Madrid (which was probably in the 8.0 range) you would likely have every bridge from Mississippi to north of St. Louis either destroyed or seriously damaged, and the same could be said on the Ohio from it's mouth to Louisville.  We'd be all screwed trying to cross the Ohio at that little ferry in Southern Illinois.

Avalanchez71

The Cave-in-Rock ferry.  I have been on that thing.  We would all be screwed if that was the only thing going.

hbelkins

Kentucky has done a lot of seismic retrofitting on bridges in the western part of the state over the past 20 or so years. (Tennessee, too; you can see some of the work along a lot of the US 51 overpasses between Dyersburg and Union City). I doubt there's much they could do to the old US 45 bridge, but I don't know what's been done to the I-24 bridge, the Shawneetown Bridge, or either of the current US 41 bridges. I'd say the new US 231 bridge was built to be seismic-resistant.

sparker

Quote from: Life in Paradise on July 26, 2017, 02:49:00 PM
The New Madrid quake (and written/spoken stories from those that witnessed it-mostly Native Americans) and the possibility of a new quake are a small part of the thought about putting another crossing on the Ohio.  The current bridges are definitely not earthquake resistant. 

Of course, if there was another quake like the New Madrid (which was probably in the 8.0 range) you would likely have every bridge from Mississippi to north of St. Louis either destroyed or seriously damaged, and the same could be said on the Ohio from it's mouth to Louisville.  We'd be all screwed trying to cross the Ohio at that little ferry in Southern Illinois.
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 26, 2017, 03:40:28 PM
The Cave-in-Rock ferry.  I have been on that thing.  We would all be screwed if that was the only thing going.

If a 7.3+ quake hits the New Madrid, everyone in the affected area will be basically screwed in general -- never mind having to cross a river; that'd be way down the priority list!

Rick Powell

Quote from: sparker on July 26, 2017, 08:02:12 PM
Quote from: Life in Paradise on July 26, 2017, 02:49:00 PM

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 26, 2017, 03:40:28 PM

If a 7.3+ quake hits the New Madrid, everyone in the affected area will be basically screwed in general -- never mind having to cross a river; that'd be way down the priority list!

In a national emergency, many things might be mobilized. Temporary ferry landings, and multiple ferry boats to take care of interstate-volume river crossings, and fast-track contracts like the I-35 Minneapolis bridge collapse that restored service within a year.

Life in Paradise

With a major Midwest/Mid-South earthquake, would cause a transportation headache for cars, trains, trucks, gas/oil, etc.  That doesn't even go into the extent that buildings would have to be fixed.  There would have to be a World War II type mobilization that could last a couple of decades to get everything fully back up and running the way it was before.  Let's hope that doesn't happen and we just quibble about how many lanes go on the new bridge, when they will actually get construction started, and will Tennessee bite the bullet and convert US 51 to I-69 this century.

Changing the subject, just how many people really care while traveling in KY, how many miles it is to Fulton?

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Life in Paradise on July 27, 2017, 11:20:31 AM
With a major Midwest/Mid-South earthquake, would cause a transportation headache for cars, trains, trucks, gas/oil, etc.  That doesn't even go into the extent that buildings would have to be fixed.  There would have to be a World War II type mobilization that could last a couple of decades to get everything fully back up and running the way it was before.  Let's hope that doesn't happen and we just quibble about how many lanes go on the new bridge, when they will actually get construction started, and will Tennessee bite the bullet and convert US 51 to I-69 this century.

Changing the subject, just how many people really care while traveling in KY, how many miles it is to Fulton?
US 51 is more than sufficient in TN.

hbelkins

Quote from: Life in Paradise on July 27, 2017, 11:20:31 AM

Interestingly, Fulton is signed along the former Pennyrile and WK Parkways that are now part of I-69. If you're traveling west on the WK, there are no mentions of Paducah beyond the Pennyrile interchange until you get to I-24. And oddly enough, the new signs there don't mention Fulton.

Conversely, if you're exiting I-24 onto the former WK, it's signed for Elizabethtown, not Henderson. You don't see Henderson signed until you get to the Pennyrile interchange.

Avalanchez71

What is the current to date status of I-69 signage in KY?  Wasn't there pork spending involved in the signage?

sparker

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on July 27, 2017, 03:38:49 PM
What is the current to date status of I-69 signage in KY?  Wasn't there pork spending involved in the signage?

HB is probably chapter & verse on this, but AFAIK I-69's current signage is on (a) the Pennyrile north of WKY, (b) the (former) WKY from I-24 to the Pennyrile, and (c) the multiplex with I-24 between the Purchase and former WKY parkways; signage of the Purchase won't happen until interchanges & transitions are modified.  The signage itself isn't "pork" per se but an integral part of the upgrade contracts.  Of course, if one considers the entire I-69 project to be "pork", then it would follow that the signage would fall into that category as well. 

hbelkins

Quote from: sparker on July 27, 2017, 03:59:29 PM
HB is probably chapter & verse on this, but AFAIK I-69's current signage is on (a) the Pennyrile north of WKY, (b) the (former) WKY from I-24 to the Pennyrile, and (c) the multiplex with I-24 between the Purchase and former WKY parkways; signage of the Purchase won't happen until interchanges & transitions are modified.  The signage itself isn't "pork" per se but an integral part of the upgrade contracts.  Of course, if one considers the entire I-69 project to be "pork", then it would follow that the signage would fall into that category as well.

I-69 is signed from the I-24/Purchase Parkway interchange concurrent with I-24 to the exit for the former Western Kentucky Parkway. It is then signed to the Pennyrile Parkway interchange on the former WK, then along the former Pennyrile Parkway to the US 41 (former KY 425) exit south of Henderson. Signage was a separate contract for each segment (I-24/WK and Pennyrile) and wasn't done until the road upgrades were completed. There's still construction ongoing at the Mortons Gap interchange on the Pennyrile (KY 813) but it's nearly finished.

sparker

Quote from: hbelkins on July 28, 2017, 02:53:33 PM
Quote from: sparker on July 27, 2017, 03:59:29 PM

I-69 is signed from the I-24/Purchase Parkway interchange concurrent with I-24 to the exit for the former Western Kentucky Parkway. It is then signed to the Pennyrile Parkway interchange on the former WK, then along the former Pennyrile Parkway to the US 41 (former KY 425) exit south of Henderson. Signage was a separate contract for each segment (I-24/WK and Pennyrile) and wasn't done until the road upgrades were completed. There's still construction ongoing at the Mortons Gap interchange on the Pennyrile (KY 813) but it's nearly finished.

Didn't know that signage was done in KY under separate contract; here in CA it's normally embedded in the final phase of paving and finishing.  Learn something new every day!

hbelkins

Quote from: sparker on July 28, 2017, 03:39:23 PM
Didn't know that signage was done in KY under separate contract; here in CA it's normally embedded in the final phase of paving and finishing.  Learn something new every day!

In most new construction projects it is, but these were just spot improvements so they did signage for the entire corridors in separate contracts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.