South Carolina

Started by wriddle082, January 30, 2011, 07:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PColumbus73

Quote from: LM117 on May 11, 2017, 04:00:17 PM
Quote from: PColumbus73 on May 11, 2017, 03:29:41 PM
http://www.postandcourier.com/news/it-s-official-south-carolina-has-a-new-gas-tax/article_8717116e-358c-11e7-990d-0b9882828b60.html

South Carolina just passed a gas tax increase effective July 1. The 12 cent increase will be phased in 2 cents per year.

Looks like Hell froze over after all.

Or South Carolina is that desperate, considering the State Legislature overrode the Governor's veto.

cjk374

Rubblizing: the native concrete slab is pulverized by a huge jackhammer attached to a big truck. The pulverized concrete is left in place & used as a base for new hot mix paving.

I just took a trip to Folly Beach this week. I didn't think the roads were to terribly bad. The new Ravnell bridge in Charleston was interesting. I-26 was smooth from Charleston to the SC 6 exit (I bypassed Columbia to get on I-20 west).  I-20 was not in that great of shape. But I haven't seen so many orange signs & barrels in one state as I did in SC. So there are signs of improvement...especially with the new gas tax.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

ARMOURERERIC

Heard a report on the radio about a SC plan to widen 145 miles of interstate mainline to 6 lanes over the next 10 years.

PColumbus73

http://www.live5news.com/story/35924881/ncpd-netting-covering-don-holt-bridge-collapses-all-lanes-blocked

Netting on the Don Holt Bridge (I-526) fell across the roadway during the evening rush hour.

PColumbus73

https://scdot.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=ca1cd69fc88945f4bb465e16765d761c

I don't know if anyone else has looked at this, but this shows projects in South Carolina either in design/planning or construction.

One of the projects shown is I-73 from I-95 to a dead end in Horry County. Obviously this doesn't mean construction is right around the corner, but it is interesting.

Jdsizzleslice

Is it true that all the interstates in South Carolina are only 60 MPH (or less)? If so, why is this the case?

Just curious.  :-P

Mapmikey

Quote from: Jdsizzleslice on August 01, 2017, 08:06:29 AM
Is it true that all the interstates in South Carolina are only 60 MPH (or less)? If so, why is this the case?

Just curious.  :-P

not even remotely true

jwolfer

Four lane divided highways are 60mph.. GA and FL would have many of them at 65 mph

LGMS428

OracleUsr

Sure, some are under sped (?) but there are 65mph interstates.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

TimQuiQui

I-26 is 70 MPH from south of Columbia to north of Summerville. I-95 is pretty much 70 the whole way through as far as I know. I-85 is 70 MPH for a stretch near Spartanburg (and I expected that will expand northward with 6-lane construction).

Mapmikey

Quote from: TimQuiQui on August 01, 2017, 05:47:28 PM
I-26 is 70 MPH from south of Columbia to north of Summerville. I-95 is pretty much 70 the whole way through as far as I know. I-85 is 70 MPH for a stretch near Spartanburg (and I expected that will expand northward with 6-lane construction).

I-95 has a brief 60-mph zone in Florence.

I-77 is 70 mph from SC 277 N. Columbia to SC 5 Rock Hill

PColumbus73

I noticed on my last visit to Charleston that more mast arm installations are being installed where the old post-mounted signals used to be in Downtown. Is there an effort to replace all the signals with mast arms? I hope not. The post-signals look better in the Old City.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Mapmikey on February 09, 2017, 04:50:02 PM
I-526 extension may be back on the table...

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/charleston-county-leaders-likely-ready-to-commit-to-funding-i/article_485449ec-e89d-11e6-b5e6-072ed61bb071.html

Charleston County is going to vote today on covering the shortfall in cost over what is/was being offered from other sources...

Latest on this saga...Charleston County taking the SC Infrastructure Bank to court...

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/charleston-county-files-suit-over-i--funding-asks-court/article_97954450-7396-11e7-985b-078b4870ec2f.html

VTGoose

On the good news front -- South Carolina is finally paving the horrible sections of I-77 around Columbia, covering up the milled pavement and the strips of asphalt that were laid down.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

wriddle082

So I had to drive from Greenville to Charlotte this evening, left Downtown Greenville right around 5:30.  Traffic was the typical "rush hour sluggish" on I-385 S to I-85 N.  Now even though I know the normal fastest way to go b/w Downtown Greenville and the hotel I'm staying at by Tyvola Rd and I-77, I decided to use Waze as a GPS so I would get an idea of how bad traffic would be and possibly be detoured around it.

Man, I think Waze really saved me some time!

Had me get off of I-85 N to SC 14 (north or west, not sure) to SC 80 (north I think) to US 29 E to SC 129 E around Lyman back to I-85 on the west side of Spartanburg, then immediately onto ancient Business 85 because it appears that the newer 90's vintage I-85 bypass currently has ONE OUT OF THREE LANES OPEN IN EACH DIRECTION 24/7!!!

And when I got closer to Charlotte, Waze was going to have me go the long way taking I-485 outer loop most likely to I-77 N to Tyvola, but somewhere around Kings Mountain it detected a delay, and around Gastonia it wised up and had me take Billy Graham Parkway instead (which I would have taken to begin with since it's shorter).  So there's another base hit for Waze.

So in summation, Waze is friggin' awesome!  I normally just use it to see locations of cops and to report disabled vehicles on the shoulder so I can earn points and stuff, and I don't normally use it for directions.  But something told me to use it this evening, and I'm glad I did.

But here's my real question:  What the hell are they doing to New I-85 around Spartanburg that's causing it to be down to one lane each direction 24/7?

When I was last through there about 6 months ago, it was down to two lanes each direction for what seemed to be pavement reconstruction.  This bypass stretch opened up around 1994 or 1995, and you would think that they would have used a pretty sturdy concrete for the driving surface.  Was this not the case?  I know it was rough, but was it rough enough to warrant full depth replacement as opposed to patching and diamond grinding?

adventurernumber1

Quote from: wriddle082 on October 10, 2017, 10:38:19 PM
...back to I-85 on the west side of Spartanburg, then immediately onto ancient Business 85 because it appears that the newer 90's vintage I-85 bypass currently has ONE OUT OF THREE LANES OPEN IN EACH DIRECTION 24/7!!!

But here's my real question:  What the hell are they doing to New I-85 around Spartanburg that's causing it to be down to one lane each direction 24/7?

When I was last through there about 6 months ago, it was down to two lanes each direction for what seemed to be pavement reconstruction.  This bypass stretch opened up around 1994 or 1995, and you would think that they would have used a pretty sturdy concrete for the driving surface.  Was this not the case?  I know it was rough, but was it rough enough to warrant full depth replacement as opposed to patching and diamond grinding?

I could not possibly tell you exactly what is going on, but I've seen both the ancient and new I-85s in Spartanburg, SC on the internet, and I have always thought that the new I-85 does look quite nice - and I didn't think that the pavement looked too awful, so this construction news comes as a huge surprise to me personally. Maybe this wasn't the sturdiest concrete after all, but I haven't a clue.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Mapmikey

The I-85 project will be going on with substantial lane closures until 2019 and is described as rehab and is $65M.

Widening north of this segment to 6 lanes to Gaffney is also getting ready to start.

bigdave

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 11, 2017, 09:53:22 PM
The I-85 project will be going on with substantial lane closures until 2019 and is described as rehab and is $65M.

Widening north of this segment to 6 lanes to Gaffney is also getting ready to start.

Are there any plans to widen I-85 south to the GA border? I thought I read that GA was widening I-85 North.

David

Mapmikey

Quote from: bigdave on October 17, 2017, 03:52:30 PM

Are there any plans to widen I-85 south to the GA border? I thought I read that GA was widening I-85 North.

David

Rehabs of the Hartwell bridges on either side of SC 11 are the only projects on that part of I-85 in the current SC STIP.

Finrod

David

From what I understand, Georgia's plan is to have I-75 and I-85 both be at least 3 lanes each side all the way through the state.  I-75 is mostly there (what's left to widen is down by the Florida border), and they've been replacing the bridges over I-85 between Atlanta and South Carolina (that may be done now), and they're working on I-85 from the I-985 split on north about 20 or 30 miles or so, but they still have a ways to go to get it done.  South Carolina may well get to widening the 20 miles of I-85 nearest Georgia before Georgia finishes widening I-85.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Finrod on October 17, 2017, 07:42:33 PM
  I-75 is mostly there (what's left to widen is down by the Florida border)

I-75 was 6-lanes or more from Macon to Florida when I drove that part of the highway in late September...

PColumbus73

David

From what I understand, Georgia's plan is to have I-75 and I-85 both be at least 3 lanes each side all the way through the state.  I-75 is mostly there (what's left to widen is down by the Florida border), and they've been replacing the bridges over I-85 between Atlanta and South Carolina (that may be done now), and they're working on I-85 from the I-985 split on north about 20 or 30 miles or so, but they still have a ways to go to get it done.  South Carolina may well get to widening the 20 miles of I-85 nearest Georgia before Georgia finishes widening I-85.

I think widening I-95 from the Georgia State Line to at least Exit 33, preferably to I-26, should be a higher priority given the chronic congestion in that area.

Finrod

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 17, 2017, 08:06:56 PM
  I-75 is mostly there (what's left to widen is down by the Florida border)

I-75 was 6-lanes or more from Macon to Florida when I drove that part of the highway in late September...

Thanks, your information is newer than mine.  That must be why they've started on I-85 north of Atlanta, they've finished I-75 (it's been 3 lanes on both sides to Chattanooga for a while now).  I would still bet that South Carolina finishes widening I-85 before Georgia.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

Gnutella

Thank God. That segment is terrible. Not only is it badly over capacity, but the interchanges and overpass heights are all substandard. I read that they're about to widen the segment from Spartanburg north to SC 18. Is that EXIT 95 or EXIT 96?

As for goings-on in Georgia, GDOT has short-term plans to widen I-85 to six lanes from Buford north to Commerce, with Commerce north to the South Carolina state line being a longer-term project, so I'm guessing that SCDOT will probably widen from Anderson south to the Georgia state line in conjunction with GDOT widening from Commerce north to the South Carolina state line. Right now, GDOT has widening underway from Buford north to Hamilton Mill Road (EXIT 120), which is a five-mile segment.

brownpelican

I have a very good feeling there will be a (at least) six-laned I-85 from near Grantville, Ga. to Durham, N.C. in the future...if not a longer stretch.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.