News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-265 Ohio River Bridge

Started by mgk920, March 06, 2012, 11:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Henry

It'll be nice when the whole I-265 outer loop is finished.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ShawnP

Yes these Eagles could stop the road. Riverfields is very, very Politically connected and this is the break they are looking for.

Anthony_JK

Brandon

Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 08, 2012, 11:27:55 AM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 06, 2012, 08:52:36 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on April 06, 2012, 10:08:13 AM
http://www.urbanophile.com/2012/04/05/hoosiers-to-pay-80-of-local-tolls-for-ohio-river-bridges-project/

Another MTR alumnus, Aaron Renn.

Interesting that he favors the "8664" proposal to reroute I-64 around the metro Louisville area.

Anthony

Not really.  Aaron was always a bit anti-car on mtr.  He lives in an area near the Loop, IIRC, and I believe that colors his view of cars and freeways.  Those of us in less dense areas have a differing point of view.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Brandon

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 06, 2012, 12:05:49 PM
The only people who genuinely get screwed are people who live in Clarksville and Jeffersonville and commute to downtown Louisville, because they will have to pay tolls on a bridge that already exists.

Anybody commuting to the East End gets their toll costs offset by the reduction in gas costs due to a new, more direct route, and people commuting to downtown Louisville from anyplace other than Clarksville and Jeffersonville can use I-64 as a free alternative without too much added travel time.

Also, if Hoosiers are paying 80% of the tolls, then that means that they are benefiting from 80% of the trips on the new bridge, and that blog doesn't go into the positive economic impact that Clark County should see from having the new bridge.

Is it the best deal for Indiana?  No.  Is it a better deal than not building the bridge at all?  Absolutely.

As long as they use an electronic toll collection system, it shouldn't cause problems.  Indiana already uses I-Zoom (aka I-Pass aka EZ-Pass) up north along the Indiana Toll Road.  Should be easy enough to implement for the birdges.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

mukade

tdindy88

Found this, this morning, from the local paper in Southern Indiana about a resolution from New Albany considering the bridges. You can read it below, but basically they call for building the East End bridge without any tolls and leaving the Downtown span alone, for now. Apparently, this was based off of similar resolution from Jeffersonville that wants sound barrier walls placed alongside I-64 and I-265 around New Albany if the tolls are kept on the new bridges, since there would be more traffic bypassing it (their thoughts, not mine.) Any thoughts on either of the communities' resolutions?

http://www.indianaeconomicdigest.com/main.asp?SectionID=31&SubSectionID=175&ArticleID=65029

hbelkins

If it takes tolls to build the East End Bridge, so be it.

I'm still not convinced of the need for a second downtown bridge.

If I'm staying in downtown Louisville for a conference, I take the Clark Memorial Bridge (US 31) if I need to go across the river. If I'm going to Indianapolis or points beyond, I typically take I-75, I-275 and I-74 and bypass Louisville.  :-D

So I probably would not be affected by a toll on the Kennedy Bridge or its new sibling.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

I'm fine with the tolls on the East End Bridge.  $1 toll each way still cost less than my gas savings at current prices.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ShawnP

I will use the east end bridge a lot. For Reds games it will be a time saver. Going to the Highlands I will use it and then back track on I-64 to the area.

mukade

"...Indiana will break ground in August on the East End Crossing of the Ohio River Bridges Project. The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) will advertise for bids beginning Wednesday to construct a portion of the project–a $5.5 million road extension that will ultimately connect the River Ridge Commerce Center to State Road 265 and the future East End Bridge... "

Indiana seeks bids for preparatory Ohio River Bridges work [INDOT]

ShawnP

I have seen a bid up for demolition work.

codyg1985

Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

mgk920

Quote from: codyg1985 on June 01, 2012, 07:12:37 AM
Quote from: ShawnP on May 30, 2012, 08:52:07 PM
I have seen a bid up for demolition work.

Demolition of what?

Ahh, buildings that might be in the way?

:colorful:

Mike

tidecat

Not sure what needs to be demolished on the Indiana side, but I know Kentucky had bought at least 17 of the 18 homes to be demolished in Shadow Wood-not sure if the last holdout ever gave up or not.  The homes were valued at a combined $6.4 Million.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

ShawnP

tdindy88

This was the front page story in the Indianapolis Star, the word is out among Hoosiers (outside of Southern Indiana) about River Fields.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120610/NEWS/306100012/Why-Indiana-paying-255-million-tunnel-Kentucky?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|IndyStar.com

Based on the comments page, there may be reports of a fire on the grounds of the precious estate in the future. That or River Fields could compensate Indiana for their failed attempt to cockblock the bridge project.

mukade

it is an irony is that Indiana does not even have a single tunnel, but will be building one in Kentucky.

NE2

Quote from: mukade on June 10, 2012, 10:39:16 PM
it is an irony
[insert comment on prescriptive vs. descriptive language]

Quote from: mukade on June 10, 2012, 10:39:16 PM
is that Indiana does not even have a single tunnel, but will be building one in Kentucky.
Buh? Indiana has a bunch of tunnels. Here's one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_Tunnel
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

mukade

No road tunnels.

There are also pedestrian tunnels.

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ShawnP

Kentucky beat Indiana to the first work. Demo work just off I-65 to the west and to the south of Slugger Field (yes named after Louisville Sluggers). Indiana has bid out the first actual construction and should be breaking ground next month.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/19090029/demolition-begins-to-clear-way-for-bridges-project

ljwestmcsd

mukade

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.