News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: tchafe1978 on August 22, 2017, 08:45:52 PM
Came across this petition to build a bridge across the Mississippi River at Cassville. While the petition lists some compelling reasons to build a bridge at Cassville, I don't see it happening. I don't see anyway where the cost would be justified. Cassville is out of the way and not on a route to really anywhere. While there is currently a ferry across the river, it is really more of a tourist attraction than a viable commuter route or anything like that. What do you think?

https://www.change.org/p/bridge-the-gap-build-a-highway-bridge-across-the-mississippi-river-at-cassville-wi

It looks like Iowa would have to invest significant money into a new connecting road, so there's another huge obstacle.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 22, 2017, 08:48:29 PM
Came across this petition to build a bridge across the Mississippi River at Cassville. While the petition lists some compelling reasons to build a bridge at Cassville, I don't see it happening. I don't see anyway where the cost would be justified. Cassville is out of the way and not on a route to really anywhere. While there is currently a ferry across the river, it is really more of a tourist attraction than a viable commuter route or anything like that. What do you think?

https://www.change.org/p/bridge-the-gap-build-a-highway-bridge-across-the-mississippi-river-at-cassville-wi

It looks like Iowa would have to invest significant money into a new connecting road, so there's another huge obstacle.

Add in the current Iowa political environment and you've got the perfect recipe for a "yeah, that's not gonna happen."

SEWIGuy

Building a bridge for roughly $60 million to bring jobs to a city of less than 1,000 people is a terrible waste of money.  No one else would use this crossing because it is so out of the way.

Eventually the Blackhawk Bridge between Lansing, IA and Wisconsin is going to be closed without replacement as well.  Those parts of Wisconsin and Iowa don't have a lot of people and not many prospects for adding more.  Dumping money there would be a waste.

peterj920

Wis 47/County OO roundabout opens today in Apoleton.  County OO signals west of the roundabout in the Northland Mall Area were also replaced.  County OO has the new monotube signal per lane with FYA left signals while the side streets have the horizontal trombone signals.

Before the project, none of the signals at any of the intersections in the project area had overhead signals so the horizontal trombone signals aren't dead yet for single lane configurations.

mgk920

Quote from: peterj920 on September 01, 2017, 03:07:47 AM
Wis 47/County OO roundabout opens today in Apoleton.  County OO signals west of the roundabout in the Northland Mall Area were also replaced.  County OO has the new monotube signal per lane with FYA left signals while the side streets have the horizontal trombone signals.

Before the project, none of the signals at any of the intersections in the project area had overhead signals so the horizontal trombone signals aren't dead yet for single lane configurations.

Not dead at all - those are *new* signal masts.

MIke

dvferyance

I noticed they are replacing the horizontal lights on US 151 in Manitwoc at I-43. I guess this is a trend in all of NE Wisconsin to just replace the lights without any major reconstruction.

TheHighwayMan3561

Wisconsin's new transportation budget has been revealed which includes a moratorium on any I-94 work between the Zoo and Marquette and a stop to any work on the "north leg of the Zoo" itself (I'm not clear what the "north leg" being referred to is and why it's being suspended). It also includes $2.5M for a toll study after a million was spent on a previous tolling study.

https://www.wpr.org/republicans-poised-pass-transportation-budget
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

tchafe1978

I believe the north leg of the Zoo Interchange was to include rebuilding I-41  from Watertown Plank Rd. up to Burleigh St.

triplemultiplex

QuoteThe GOP plan would let trucks weighing more than twice the legal limit travel on stretches of state highway in Ashland and Vilas Counties [that are] carrying raw forest products and lumber.

Well that's going to make our roads even worse.  Also, if you can put more logs on one truck, then you need less truck drivers to move those logs to the mills.  The big forest products companies get to pay less while the individual truckers get fucked.  And meanwhile the highways up north get torn to shit even faster.

QuoteRepeal Wisconsin's prevailing wage law for state construction projects.

Yeah, because it's the little guy at the bottom that's driving up the cost of road construction.  :pan:

QuoteWhile Republican lawmakers won't increase the state's gas tax or vehicle registration fee to pay for roads, they will create a new $100 annual fee for electric cars and a $75 fee for hybrids.

Yay, more incentives for pollution...

QuoteProhibit the state or local governments from using the power of condemnation to acquire land for recreational trails, bicycle lanes, or pedestrian ways.

Non-problem solved!

QuoteLimit the ability of local governments to restrict the operation of a quarry, like a sand or gravel pit.

Yay, more groundwater contamination and sediment clogging up our streams.

So the long and short of it is, more handouts to well connected companies and the average citizen gets shafted.  Business as usual in Madison these days.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

The Ghostbuster

I'm disappointed that funding for the reconstruction of Interstate 94 between 70th and 16th St. is being delayed again. I do support the study of potentially tolling some roads in Wisconsin. I am very pleased that funding for the streetcar in Milwaukee is being restricted. When a streetcar proposal came to Madison about 10 years ago, I attended a couple hearings, and made my opposition clear. Streetcars are too slow, and their routes are too inflexible, I'd much rather take a bus.

FightingIrish

There was already at least one sign of the I-41 ZIC north leg being put on ice. The Meinecke Ave. bridge was originally going to be completely rebuilt, like Center St. was. Now, after being damaged by a truck hitting it, it is closed for a partial rebuild using the original frame.

FightingIrish

As for the streetcar, I don't really see how it will improve commuting, but I believe it was built using federal funds, rather than state. They should have started a county-wide LRT system instead. The streetcar seems kinda gimmicky to me. But time will tell.

mgk920

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 06, 2017, 04:51:12 PM
QuoteProhibit the state or local governments from using the power of condemnation to acquire land for recreational trails, bicycle lanes, or pedestrian ways.

Non-problem solved!

This is one that I would 'line item' out.  Often these are needed for public safety reasons, besides park purposes.

Mike

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mgk920 on September 06, 2017, 09:07:39 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 06, 2017, 04:51:12 PM

Non-problem solved!

This is one that I would 'line item' out.  Often these are needed for public safety reasons, besides park purposes.

Mike

Also, the idea that those items don't bring value is absurd.  The bike trail that was expanded along with the WI-26 upgrades in Jefferson County is used all the time.  It's a public good.

Revive 755

So if a local government is widening a road and needs to acquire land for a sidewalk that needs to be moved to make room for a new lane, they will have to choose between not widening the road or removing the sidewalk?   :banghead:

SSOWorld

Recall that a mass replacement of signs took place on 151 from Dubuque to FDL, but no sign was replaced between Dodgeville and Mt Horeb's east point interchange. 

Here's why those signs were not replaced --> https://projects.511wi.gov/us18151countyid/full-project-overview/

Short story - HHH will be stricken.  ID will be "extended westward".  This is quoted because ID ends in Barneveld at it's interchange with 151 and there is no side road that would accomodate such an extension - It is quite possible that ID will be extended along the highway to the eastern HHH intersection short term and later routed onto a frontage road or nearby road.  That is pure speculation on my part so YMMV on it.

EDIT: http://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/projects/by-region/sw/18151study/map-sect3altb.pdf

This is part of the grand scheme to convert the highway from from Dodgville to Verona to full freeway.  The one above is step 1.  The others likely don't have funding.  It routes ID south of the highway at Barneveld and west to Ridgeway.  It is quite possible that HHH remains after the project is done, and replaced later.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: SSOWorld on September 18, 2017, 06:44:34 PM
Recall that a mass replacement of signs took place on 151 from Dubuque to FDL, but no sign was replaced between Dodgeville and Mt Horeb's east point interchange. 

Here's why those signs were not replaced --> https://projects.511wi.gov/us18151countyid/full-project-overview/

Short story - HHH will be stricken.  ID will be "extended westward".  This is quoted because ID ends in Barneveld at it's interchange with 151 and there is no side road that would accomodate such an extension - It is quite possible that ID will be extended along the highway to the eastern HHH intersection short term and later routed onto a frontage road or nearby road.  That is pure speculation on my part so YMMV on it.

EDIT: http://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/projects/by-region/sw/18151study/map-sect3altb.pdf

This is part of the grand scheme to convert the highway from from Dodgville to Verona to full freeway.  The one above is step 1.  The others likely don't have funding.  It routes ID south of the highway at Barneveld and west to Ridgeway.  It is quite possible that HHH remains after the project is done, and replaced later.

So is HHH the original US-18/151 route through Ridgeway?

mgk920

Quote from: SSOWorld on September 18, 2017, 06:44:34 PM

Kewl, me likey!

:cheers:

I did not know that this was in the project pipeline for 2018 construction.  It will be something to check out as work progresses.

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 18, 2017, 11:33:55 PM
So is HHH the original US-18/151 route through Ridgeway?

As is County 'ID' through Barneveld.  The new County 'ID' between them maintains local non-freeway 'through' access.  When is this section expected to begin construction?

Mike

triplemultiplex

This will leave one intersection, a couple driveways and three field entrances between Ridgeway and Dodgeville.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

mgk920

Regarding the Verona-Dodgeville part of US 18/151, I'm also wondering if the short local road gap between County 'G' and the west Verona interchange (that wetland area) will someday have to be addressed as that part of the metro area continues to develop, and if so, what would be the best way of addressing it.

Mike

dvferyance

I noticed that the Hwy E intersection just west of Mt Horeb was recently removed and Hwy E was rerouted to end at Hwy 78 to the east. I wondered of this was the beginning for greater things to come.

SSOWorld

Quote from: mgk920 on September 19, 2017, 06:58:02 PM
Regarding the Verona-Dodgeville part of US 18/151, I'm also wondering if the short local road gap between County 'G' and the west Verona interchange (that wetland area) will someday have to be addressed as that part of the metro area continues to develop, and if so, what would be the best way of addressing it.

Mike
Just make Epic Systems pay for it.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

tchafe1978

Quote from: dvferyance on September 20, 2017, 04:37:37 PM
I noticed that the Hwy E intersection just west of Mt Horeb was recently removed and Hwy E was rerouted to end at Hwy 78 to the east. I wondered of this was the beginning for greater things to come.
That intersection was changed at least 3 or 4 years ago. It was dangerous as it was right before the exit ramp to 78. Another nearby intersection was closed many years ago after too many accidents.

LGL56VL

tchafe1978

http://www.jsonline.com/story/communities/waukesha/news/waukesha/2017/09/20/bridge-over-west-waukesha-bypass-could-soar-costs-11-million-delay-completion/680966001/

Dispute over a railroad crossing could further delay the west Waukesha bypass. I say build an overpass now as part of the bypass project. It will save money in the long run and reduce the chances of having to redo the crossing in the future as well as be safer.

LGL56VL

dvferyance

Quote from: tchafe1978 on September 20, 2017, 09:24:50 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/communities/waukesha/news/waukesha/2017/09/20/bridge-over-west-waukesha-bypass-could-soar-costs-11-million-delay-completion/680966001/

Dispute over a railroad crossing could further delay the west Waukesha bypass. I say build an overpass now as part of the bypass project. It will save money in the long run and reduce the chances of having to redo the crossing in the future as well as be safer.

LGL56VL
I say just cancel it all together. Nobody wants it and there are far greater needs in the area like I-94.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.